*sniffle* What about the 15" Powerbooks?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dragonneyes, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Dragonneyes macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2003
    Oh those G5 Powermacs are oh so yummy (yet not in flavorful colors - whoohoo!) - but, what about the poor 15" Powerbook?

The 15" PB would be a perfect option for me for college, but I don't WANT the old version. I want a newer version, like the 17" in a littler body!

Does anyone know if updates are forthcoming? Or would that hamper sales on the 17" too much? I hope not - the 12" is too slow for a "prosumer" like myself (basically just an iBook with a G4) and the 17" is gorgeous but monstrous and wholly impractical for a student. I was extremely disappointed today when everything was unveiled and nothing was said about the 15" PBs. Let me know what you think!
  2. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

Dec 28, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Obviously there are some mysterious forces at work here, because the 15" is definitely way overdue for this update.

My advice: Don't buy anything. The 15" Aluminum PB will probably be announced at Create in July (it's less than a month away now).

But I'm wondering if the 12" PB will see an update at Create, too (some L3 cache wouldn't hurt)...
  3. oomega1 macrumors member

May 29, 2003
    cries* wondering if the wait was for nothing.
  4. freundt macrumors member

Apr 8, 2003
    sheesh.. another month to wait?

Seems like I've been wait.. ohh... 8 months or so...

sorry for the crassness... but come one already.... My deadline to order is the 31st of july (the macromedia studio mx deal is it.. save $500 on it if you buy new mac...)

HOWEVER.. if they are not updated by then.. I'm not gonna sink 2k+ into an outdated machine, especially since we've seen what the G5 does.... Perhaps I'll go dell.. who knows.. it' just sad really...

5. PowerBook User macrumors regular

May 29, 2003
    I agree completely. They probably wanted something new to release at Create. I would at least wait until then. I also hope they introduce a 12" PB G4 with L3 cache. That would help speed it up.
  6. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. Where is 15" Aluminium PowerBook?!!!!
  7. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    basically everyone waited for a firewire camera and a fugly powermac. wow.
  8. Dragonneyes thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2003
    *whew* Well I sure am glad that there is some hope left for a 15" update. I've heard rumors that they've stopped stocking the old 15" PB - could be good or bad, depending. Either they're trying to fizzle them out or an update IS forthcoming at Create. And July isn't too far away. *crosses fingers and waits, yet again, to buy* It's true though - I will not put $2500 into an outdated machine.

The Powermacs ARE really ugly. It looks like an old Mac tower that I had when I was five - when they were still beige! But hey, certainly don't judge a computer by its cover! Those things are ridiculously fast. I just hope all is as good as it seems.
  9. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Why not get the cheapest iBook ($900) and get your macromedia studio with $500 off, use it for a couple of months until the new PowerBook comes out, then sell the iBook to me for $400? :D
  10. nspeds macrumors member

Aug 8, 2002
    DUDE you are in the EXACT same boat as me. I'm SO F#$@#$ frustrated about the no 970 Powerbooks.

When exactly is Create? I'm going to buy the 17 inch today, and since it takes 1 week to be delivered and I have 10 days to return, I will go ahead and have 17 days of safety zone to see if I want to return my 17 incher if the 15 inch 970 is released.

But arn't we getting our hopes too high as well? I mean, has Apple ever even announced any new products at Create?

11. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Create is just a downsized MacWorld. However, since Jobs is not giving the keynote at Create, there is little likelyhood of a product being announced there.

More likely is that one Monday or Tuesday morning in the near future we'll wake up and there will be an announcement.

Quite possibly the week before Create so they can show them off their without having to do the announcement at Create.