Snipers/Terrorists...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dignan, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I thought of this the other day.

That sniper pretty much has the dc/virginia area on terror lockdown, right? What if some terrorist groups got say, 20-50 guys to all go around the country and do the same thing. Now that would be some widespread, effective terrorising with minimum people, and if one gets caught, the others can still continue.

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

What if each shooting is by a different sniper? This would help explain the problems in tracking the supposed one person.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its the same guy it seems. He's gone from looking for attention to wanting people to know who it is. It might get even worse until he's caught - the bastard.

I'm going to go get gas tomorrow morning - its crazy that I have to worry about it.

D

4. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

seems to me like its way too much of an ego thing to be more than one guy.

and I think he is just doing this so someone will make a movie about it 25 years from now.

Creepy serial sniper who leaves tarot cards and plays with the cops. gotta admit, thats movie material.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It made for Hollywood 100% - Morgan Freeman comes out of retirement to help catch the killer.....

I wouldn't be surprised if several movies have influenced what this guys doing. And we had another possible shooting this morning, I found out on my way to get gas........

6. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

what you need, duke, is a decoy.

get someone to wear a giant yellow chicken suit and send them to the station across the street, then fill your tank.
    ;) :D

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I say it now, but I don't think where I'm living there will be a shooting. There aren't enough trees for decent cover and traffic is not good. Besides, since surveillance stepped up, he hasn't hit when its been light out. So I'm guessing its much safer to go out during the day than at night.

8. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

I think the guy will go further out of the dc area, to places with less stepped up secrurity.

And you KNOW he is a wanna be movie star, calling the cops? whats that about? leaving little notes and evidence? doesnt he NOT wanna get caught?

And how long will they delay the movie Phone Booth because of this? I read the script...was pretty cool.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

what's Phone Booth?

I agree with the fact that he's playing the cops and playing to the media. Since he's using darkness now, it seems, he can scout out locations during the day and set up for the shooting. But with this mornings hit, close to rush hour, it seems he's not worried about the traffic. I'm wondering if he doesn't have a 'safe' location to hole up in while they close the roads down. The commute on the north end of town was at a standstill for hours this morning - glad I come in from the south. And the bus driver who was shot this morning died. They need to catch him soon.

10. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Phonebooth is a great concept that can barely fill up 90 minutes.

Colin farrell, walking around in NYC, phone booth rings. Guy on other end tells him not to hang up. Blah blah blah, a sniper has him in his scope. He hangs up, he shoots him, he tells anyone there is a sniper, he shoots him.

Sniper shoots a guy, police thinks it was farrell, if he does anything about it, police could shoot him, sniper could shoot him. Sniper basically wants farrell to get the cops to kill himself.

Whole movie, one location.

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

THis thing looks like a Natural Born Killers kind of stuff. What surprises me is that the guy is lasting so long with his obsetion of killing people, usually in a week they fall appart but who knows.

I do not think this is a terrorist act but if you continue talking about it you would be giving nice ideas to terrorist.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah. there's gonna be a lot of terrorists here at the mac rumors site... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i also tend to think that terrorists have thought of most possibilities and if possible for them, they'd do it. don't think joe blow discussing things is going to spark a great idea for them..

you talking about your various marches and revolution plans are going to give your government ideas on how to keep you down by that logic.

is phonebooth a realtime type movie? ie, does the whole story take place in said 90 mins? kinda like nick of time (i think that's what it was... never saw it though)... sounds interesting.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, now I see why phone booth might not be released on time - almost as bad as collateral damage....don't know if I'll ever see that one.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

interesting note... collateral damage was slated to be released sometime in september (2001) or sometime around there. then the attacks.... so of course they held it off. and that's fine. certainly should....

september 12, 2001. i go to a movie (united artists had free movies to help keep people distracted).... guess what freaking trailer i see.... collateral damage. now i'm not one to see pictures of the towers and get all upset or dramatic. but that was crazy. there were a whole bunch of shots of them in the trailer, along with the whole terrorist theme..... not sure who exactly slipped up on that one.

at least phone booth is a little less geographically specific and such (it sounds at least)...

word

15. Dignan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dignan

Im pretty sure phone booth is all real time. great stuff.

NYC is the location.

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well as far as phone booth goes, all movie clips have been pulled (including Quicktimes) and the movie is not listed on Fox's site anymore and the official Phone booth site has been yanked as well http://www.phoneboothmovie.com/
    early 2003 release date is what is expected.

back on track with the sniper/snipers. there are too many things wrong with what we are hearing about on TV. For one there has only been one tarot card and we dont even know for sure that this sniper left it. Weve also heard real snipers tell us what they think and they all say this guy is not a professional. In my personal opinion this looks more professional to me, there have been several shots that were right on and took out the victim, but there have also been survivors, I think this person is playing with everyone. This is most likely a coldhearted and emotionless human being who is intentionally leading the police on clues that wont get them anywhere. If this is a serial killer though then he wants to be caught most likely, but if not then he's not stupid enough to keep using the same van. I dont know, you could go on and on trying to figure this one out, but ive got a phonecall now so........

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this killer is both crazy and evil

some have suggested that he is just evil but otherwise stable and very normal...but that is the craziest thing i have ever heard

while i believe he is a better shot than most people say he is, he certainly is one of the sloppiest killers out there and there is no doubt he wants to get caught

and like it's mentioned that this news is movie material, the legacy that the shooter wants is to have movies and books written about him

he wants to the the next son of sam and it's just a matter of time before he starts leaving manifestos for the washington post

i am sure the authorities, by now, have some description, dna, and handwriting analysis results of this man

and besides becoming famous, he wants to be rich for a while before he gets caught like he knows he will

whether he gets nabbed this week or next year, he will be big news for a long time to come and people will talk about him the way people talk about son of sam twenty five years later

some things live in infamy like pearl harbor, assassinations of lincoln and kennedy, son of sam, watergate, september 11, and now this

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This is a bit worse than anything we've seen from a serial killer. The number of victims in the time frame is unprecedented, especially multiple shots on the same day. Son of Sam would spend weeks/months between killings. It seems as though its too fast paced, and by doing so even more pressure is on for catching him. If the killings had taken place over months, it would be much more difficult to catch him. As it stands now, everything in the area of a shooting gets shut down - its truly amazing.

But the talk of kids not being safe - hinted through the media that the sniper said something to that effect, is going to make Halloween truly scary. I'm sure a lot of kids won't be going out. Sad actually.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Unfortunately, it'll be the mental case biographies in the FBI where he'll get the newest most detailed books and movies. Since, so far he fails to fit the usual mold.

What's really sad is this is a learning experience for the true organized terrorists. That the current state of readiness cannot deal with the random hit and run.

But you do notice that they are expecting him to make a mistake and get picked up in a routine traffic stop, most do make this mistake - but so far he has blended in with the rest of the traffic noise.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

this serial killer is possibly the worst since son of sam and he is taking on easy targets the same way son of sam did

andrew cunanan, the man who killed versace, had an agenda to kill harder to hit specific targets like syvester stallone and madonna

and he hid out in florida which is the hardest place in the united states to catch a criminal

i think this shooter is using the rural areas near dc instead of making a hit in the city in broad daylight...but a killing in dc, perhaps of a politician, might be on his agenda as his final move

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Terror for the masses works much better than hitting popular targets. It makes it personal for everyone. And because of the added pressure he's been under, his shooting has been done while its been dark out the past couple times. It would be surprising if he ever shoots during the day again - too many chances to be seen.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the shooter is complaining about the cops not taking his calls and ignoring him...a lot of pranksters are probably calling the cops right now anyway

this will frustrate him and he doesn't want to be seen as an oppotunitist who is a coward...he will most likely strike someone famous who has security just to show how effective he can be

i am sure the president's secret service people are on extra alert

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Now they are saying he asked for $10 million dollars, but it says its from "sources" and no one from the police has made that official. how can we be sure the person who is talking to the police is even the sniper? and if the media has unofficial sources is it really helping the cause to leak that unofficial information? if it is true then there must be a reason the police have not stated that yet right?
    It is truly sad that the children in that area will probably not have much of a halloween this year, but Im sure parents all over the states are going to be very protective of their children this year because of the possibility of a copycat sniper.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Read the recent article at http://www.washingtonpost.com - its got the most up to date info. The $10 million was to be wired into a bank account, smart, probably overseas account.

And I'm sure they have a pretty good idea when the sniper calls, he's using a voice modification device, so that has to be pretty obvious.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the authorities know more than we hear from cnn

there are a lot of things they know about him but don't want to blow the investigation or give him an escape route due to overpublicity of cops' strategies