Snow Again!?!?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So not to rant, but if I was in school again it would be fine. As someone who has to deal with the idiots around here who don't know how to drive or deal with snow, its another thing altogether. I'm taking my life in my hand by just stepping outside.

I am amazed that we're (Mid Atlantic) going to get another appreciable snow fall so soon after getting almost 2 feet that shut the city down for a couple days.

At least my dog will enjoy it :D

D

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i enjoyed my eastern blizzard for about 2 days, then it all melted and i'm ready for spring!!

3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I hear you on the snow. I don't think it has gone a whole week without snowing for at least a few months now. It would be great if I were still in school. I don't think we ever got out as many days in the whole time as they have gotten this year.

4. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

yay! maybe i'll have another snow day. sorry about all those who have to deal with stupid people driving to work or whatever, that kinda sucks. my dog likes the snow too. she's a little bichon/poodle, and she gets lost in it if it snows a lot, it's pretty funny. :)

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

BTW

We haven't see rain in 3 years, our water reserves are 20 meters under their level. Now I know where the water is going.

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: BTW

lately its all been in my basement. Can't wait for the next round of flooding :rolleyes:

You going to be coming up north any time soon?

D

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Re: Snow Again!?!?!

But here it comes! :D

> As someone who has to deal with the idiots around
    > here who don't know how to drive or deal with snow,
    > its another thing altogether. I'm taking my life in my
    > hand by just stepping outside.

Highly congested areas are always more problemmatic, because the smallest problem causes all traffic to snarl up bad. Nevertheless, I do agree that DC drivers aren't some of the better ones out there (they're also IMO not the absolute worst).

> I am amazed that we're (Mid Atlantic) going to get
    > another appreciable snow fall so soon after getting
    > almost 2 feet that shut the city down for a couple days.

Yes, its been an unusual year, but people who haven't lived in this region for a long time think that the mild winters are the norm, but they're wrong: the long-term cycle in the northeast is that we have it easy for 4-5 years, then we get clobbered hard.

The funny part is all of the wannabee entrepreneurs who run out to buy a truck and snowplow after a heavy season, only to get skunked for the next few years, and financially curl up and die. If you want to buy a plow or snowblower, historically, the best time to buy one used is two years after a big winter.

I personally suspect that this "whallop cycle" might corrolate to El Niño, but I haven't run the statistics on it ... in any event, "we were due" because we've had it easy since 1996, and lo and behold, there was an El Niño this past fall too.

And FWIW, I would personally much rather cope with an extra foot of snow than put up with an inch of ice.

-hh

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

During my lifetime, it has NEVER snowed where I live, except up in the mountains. I've never been in the middle of a snowstorm, although it does snow sometimes when I go to NY for the winter...

But the heat in L.A. is really bad sometimes. I guess you can't have everything. :(

9. Chrisnorth macrumors member

Strange Weather

Where I live, there's almost always snow on the ground by October 31st and it tends to stay there until April. Decembers are nice with temperatures averaging in the low teens to mid twenties (below zero celcius). January and February are our cold months with temperatures that often drop down around minus 45 to minus 55 interspersed with warm periods around minus 20 to minus 30.

Notice that I said usually. I've lived up here for close to thirty years now, and the past decade has been characterized by stranger and stranger weather. This winter, we've only had maybe two really cold weeks where temperatures dipped almost to minus 40. Its been positively balmy most of the time with warm (snow melting weather) appearing for a day or two in every month. Right now it's minus 10. It should be minus 40! Who said global warming wasn't real?:confused:

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Where I live, we are supposed to get a dusting to an inch of snow tonight.

It has snowed a lot this winter it seems like.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

12. JustAGuy macrumors member

Exactly 0cms ;) Must be living north of the border that's doing it...

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

We had weather reports on almost all of our local weather stations, including the evil weather channel :mad:, reporting up to three or four inches.

Obviously, that was bullsh**. I have been saying, since the beginning of the week, it'll go by and we're aren't going to get anything. Sure enough, that's what happened.

Turning to my front window, I do not see a cloud in the sky now. :rolleyes:

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I take it that you don't like snow. Sorry that you guys in the Mid-Atlantic States got hit with the latest storm!

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think I misinterpreted the point of this thread.

Actually I really like snow. I just hate weather reports with little or no accuracy.

And I don't feel I am alone on that.

16. bcsimac macrumors 6502

Snow

I live in the snow belt. We are used to getting dumped with a lot of snow. It is nothing new to get about 18 inches to 30 inches in snow in one weekend. We just deal with......schools hardly ever close or give snow days. Our snow removal is pretty good since PennDOT works like 24/7.....and so does many of the Township snow removal guys. My dad does inspections on Franklin Township, Washington Township, McKean Township, Elk Township, and Boro of Edinboro snow trucks.......McKean buys really nice Osh Kosh rigs.....dad calls them the red monsters! Erie which gets some snow but kinda gets protected by Lake Erie.....got about 133 inches......they think they got really hammered......100 inches is normal for Edinboro in a winter. I think my dad said we got about 150 inches of snow this winter which started the second week of October. We probably won't totally get rid of the snow until late May or first week of June. We have a joke here that we only get 3 and half months of good nice weather.....and the rest is winter. I have to admit it gets a bit gloomy and depressing to get so much snow and for so long......but like I said we are used to it and it is no big deal. I will have to say this winter was the worst as far as fatalities that I can remember.....we had 8 this winter.....one was a very popular high school girl. My dad gets all the fatality accidents because of our facilities and equipment. In January we had 28 straight days of snow. We have been pretty cold too.......5 below and 10 below has been common this month and January. By the way the snow we get a lot of here is known as Lake Effect Snow.

17. JustAGuy macrumors member

Ah, winter weather contrasts. I'm fairly sure that Vancouver Engineering has only 1 or 2 snowplows, and those are the kind they mount on the front of F450s in bad weather. Victoria, across the water from us, doesn't even have a snowplow.

Not that we really need em. At most we get 2 or 3 dumps of <2cm per year, but even that is enough to literally shut down the city. All schools & universities closed, many businesses closed, public transit not running, cars in the ditch left right and centre, etc.

It's all rather pathetic, really.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Weather reports are better than they were, they would look out the window for their forecast. Here in Boston they learned from the Blizzard of '78, they did a better job with the Blizzard of '03.

19. bcsimac macrumors 6502

snow

You really need to see the great Osh Kosh rigs dad sees every year from McKean........they are so huge and so cool......we call the pickup truck type plows.,.......tinker toys LOL!

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

I agree on many reports, which bring the "big stuff" (snowstorms, blizzards, thunderstorms, etc.). But for your regular "work day" forecasts, will there be flurries or not today?

30% chance of rain
    50% chance of snow
    70% chance...

Nothing happens...
    :confused:

When they say "blizzard", the weathermen are pretty much right on. But how often do you receive such a blizzard?

The last major one was I think in the first few days of 1996 and it trashslammed the eastern seaboard and the boardering northern states. The weather reports were accurate for the blizzard, again.