Snow in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Here in Los Angeles, on the 13th anniversary of the 1994 Northridge Earthquake, Mother Nature had another surprise in store for us.

Today it snowed in West Los Angeles.

A tiny bit of snow may not make the news in most cities, but in Los Angeles it's big news and a surprise to people who have no idea how to drive when the roads have snow on them. The last time it snowed at the Los Angeles Airport (one of the "official" locations where they track the weather) was in January, 1962.

Local news story

Maybe I can ski home from work today! :D

Attached Files:

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It seems even more strange than having snowfall in Central Floriduh in November.

I hope people are trained well to drive in the snow, especially on I-5.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Congratulations. You have as much snow as I have now, and I live in central Minnesota.:(

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I liked the picture of people ice skating on the Venice canals. Very funny.

[​IMG]

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup my parents got snow it was awesome. I think the last time it snowed was 1982 or something like that. I was in grade school.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Until yesterday, it was 50-60 around here, and I live in ****ing New England! It's supposed to be cold and snowy! LOS FREAKING ANGELES IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE MORE SNOW THAN US!

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That ice couldn't be very thick. I wonder how many fell through the ice! :eek:

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Unfortunetly here in the PNW, some kids were not all that bright and ventured out onto a frozen lake. Two of them fell through and one died. :(

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It snowed just a tiny bit. LOTS of ice though, knocked out the power for a day or so.

However, because of the ice storm, I haven't been to school in 6 days, and I have tomorrow off.

Life is good.:)

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Most of the roads in San Antonio were closed the last two days due to ice. What the heck is going on here. Al Gore is full of$#*%. j/k...:D

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I assumed that there couldn't be any ice at all in the Venice canals, and the photo was a clever joke. Hmm, maybe I should post one of downhill skiing in Hollywood. ;)

[​IMG]

12. Nekkid Fish macrumors member

All I know is it's freakin cold here ... east of LA! :eek:

I left Kentucky to come here for warm weather ... and they say it never rains in Sunny Southern California ... but we had record rainfalls our first year here.

Me thinks Al Gore is onto something! :eek:

HUGz! Jules

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It might snow Friday in New England.

You might have to make that up at some point.:)

14. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The local news just showed an interview with a lady who collected snow in Malibu, hoping to sell it on eBay. Anybody need a bag of water?

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It only started when you moved there? I think people might pay for you to move to Nevada. :p

16. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Hehehe, I had to email my mother and heckle her a little for this.
    (She's given me grief for the English weather but we've done without snow and freezing temps so far... told you, I brought a little bit of L.A. to England when I moved here) :)

17. bozigle macrumors regular

World upsidedown
    Helsinki... Finland... No snow... sniff sniff

bozigle

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*sniff* And you all mocked me for getting a 600-fill jacket. :p

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do you mean that stuff doesn't keep? Darn. Who knew?

20. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

It snowed at my place Friday morning too, although I live inland at over 1300 feet, so it's not quite as crazy as snow in west L.A. It was the first time I'd seen it in 7+ years of living here though. It was just enough to accumulate one grass and plants though, not on the pavement. A mile from here no snow fell at all.

21. Butthead macrumors 6502

Butthead

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-cold18jan18,0,1404930.story?

I think kanan road where the tunnel is in the picture is at ~2k ft elevation. TV news interviewed a guy who said he'd lived in Colorado for 20yrs, and he tried to drive Kanan Rd over into the SFValley, but had to turn around as the roads were impassable, covered with black ice. What I could see from the TV news footage of the snow in the Kanan tunnel area was that it was a very wet snow.

What fell in W. LA is up to question as no one used a cell phone to video record any falling snowflakes.

"heavy accumulation of irregularly shaped hailstones called graupel that can be confused with snowflakes."

I don't know if you call it sleet, or just wet soft clear melting slushy snow falling, but I've been hit with that kind of precipitation on the ski lifts at Mammoth in late spring.

http://knbc.nbcweatherplus.com/weat...49/detail.html?qs=;s=30;p=weather;dm=ss;w=400
    This other photo shows there was plenty of rain falling and pooling in the streets while the white stuff came down. I was in the area, just 1 mile south at the time and there was a period of about 15minutes where there where lots of thunder boomers, outside you could see the clouds where close to the ground. But plenty of clear sky just beyond these dark clouds. So there where a small cell of thunder clouds. Snow could have been possible, as could hail be falling at the same time (neither in my area, just some heavy rain drops).

IIRC, 2002? or there abouts, same type of jet stream pattern resulted in artic cold storm and snow flurries (shown on TV) falling at beach level just north of Malibu on the PCH, but it was so quick the snow just melted when it hit the ground.

1982? Santa Monica hills got ~6in of snow that stayed for hours

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/weatherfacts.m?city=11920&metric=false
    "JANUARY 15TH, 1932-Up to two inches of snow whitened the Los Angeles basin of California. The Los Angeles Civic Center reported an inch of snow, and even the beaches of Santa Monica were whitened with snow, in what proved to be a record snowstorm for Los Angeles.
    "
    More pix of WLA/Weswood hail/slush/snow?:
    http://blogging.la/archives/2007/01/its_snowing_in_westwood.phtml

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Dr. Q, you are kidding right?! :eek:

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And I live in Indiana - and we haven't had any snow to speak of either. Its truly bizarre.

So Q, did you make a snow ball and put it in the freezer?

D :p

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, just not our section. At least the skiing might not suck ass for this entire season.
    If it actually snows this year (and I mean more than the 2 inches of slush we got in early December), I'm going to do that.

**** you El Niño

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it makes anyone feel any better, precipitation in Southern California is running about 20% of normal so far this season, and it looks like we're on track to get no additional rain through the first week of February at least.