Snow in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WildCowboy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

So I leave work around 7:15 this evening, and it has clearly rained very recently, and fairly hard. There's some lightning off to the east, but it's not raining at the moment. I head to my car, hop on 280 South heading for my home in Daly City. Just past the interchange with 101, traffic grinds to a halt. That happens during rush hour, but not this bad and not this late. It's stop and go traffic the whole way with no evidence of a wreck or lane closure.

After about 20 minutes, I get up to the Ocean Avenue exit, and what do I see? Snow. Slushy snow, but a fair amount of it, and a lot of water. The ground was above freezing and the cars driving by were quickly melting the snow, but there was still a good amount between car tracks. I get up to the Mission Street exit and the snow is gone...just wet.

Wow...it's very rare for snow to fall in the city of San Francisco. And when it does, it's at the top of Twin Peaks...that happens every few years. I've been out here six years, and all I'd ever seen was a couple of flurries out at Ocean Beach that never made it to the ground.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wow, that's amazing.

In Sacramento it's been very cold, but no snow. Yesterday we had 1 funnel-cloud and hail everywhere!

7862465_480X360.jpg

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

5. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

today in madison, WI there was a record high of 54

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

It was also unusually mild in NYC. After the record 27 inch snowfall in February, I am glad for everyday that brings us closer to early-to-mid April, which is when we can consider ourselves safe from more snow.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

"It's Global Warming! We Didn't Listen! *we didn't listen*"

South Park is awesome XD

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Periodic hail and thunder tonight in Ventura County, fairly big hailstones (for here) too.

Second hailstorm this season. :confused: :eek: :confused:

B

9. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

HAHAHA...Had a snow/hail ball fight this evening in Santa Cruz with spectacular lightning flashes as a backdrop. First time ever in 20 years that I can remember snow/thick hail in downtown S.C.