Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I am trying to hold onto using Snow Leopard as long as possible as I hate losing the spaces feature. Are there any successful hacks for Developing for IOS 5.1.1 on Snow Leopard or is this a losing battle?

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Spaces in Lion didn't change much... All they did was make it so spaces are arranged linearly instead of in a grid, and you manage them in mission control instead of a dedicated view.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Spaces in Lion didn't change much... All they did was make it so spaces are arranged linearly instead of in a grid, and you manage them in mission control instead of a dedicated view.

Actually, for me, Spaces got an upgrade with the "different wallpapers for each space". I never used the full screen pager anyhow, so the "grid" arrangement and the moving of windows using it doesn't bother me at all.

Anyway, what was the programming question here anyhow ? Xcode 4.2 with support for iOS 5 for Snow Leopard is still available from Apple...

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Anyway, what was the programming question here anyhow ? Xcode 4.2 with support for iOS 5 for Snow Leopard is still available from Apple...

Doh. I just downloaded XCode 4.2 all full of hope but its last supported IOS version is 5.0 not 5.1.1 it says please upgrade to the latest xCode. The latest XCode is Lion (or ML) only.

So any hacks for this that would be stable?
Or is it a choice of Mountain Lion or Mountain Lion?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Doh. I just downloaded XCode 4.2 all full of hope but its last supported IOS version is 5.0 not 5.1.1 it says please upgrade to the latest xCode. The latest XCode is Lion (or ML) only.

So any hacks for this that would be stable?
Or is it a choice of Mountain Lion or Mountain Lion?

What's wrong with 5.0?

If you really want to stick with Snow Leopard but be able to support newer iOS versions, you could install Mountain Lion on a separate partition.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Doh. I just downloaded XCode 4.2 all full of hope but its last supported IOS version is 5.0 not 5.1.1 it says please upgrade to the latest xCode.

Did you read the API diff notes for 5.1 vs 5.0 ? There's literally like 5-6 new methods and 4 removed constants...

What method from 5.1 do you really need ?

Here they are if you want to browse through them to see if its even worth your trouble : http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#releasenotes/General/iOS51APIDiffs/. My advice though, just save the head ache and upgrade to ML. Don't believe the only whining about Lion and Mountain Lion.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Did you read the API diff notes for 5.1 vs 5.0 ? There's literally like 5-6 new methods and 4 removed constants...

What method from 5.1 do you really need ?

When I tried to provision my 4s it said please upgrade your SDK or downgrade to IOS 5 or before. I didn't fancy downgrading my IOS. I suspect the new xCode for IOS 6 will make it even harder to use Snow Leopard.

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have allowed the apple train of progress to run me over and installed Mountain Lion. It was a welcome surprise that it installed without issue and runs smoothly. However the downgrade of mission control still sucks, but I shall be keeping an eye on this for hope :

http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/changes

I think apple probably knows that mission control doesn't really do the job. Hopefully they will shake things up again in the next incarnation of OSX and make something better. If mission control is mobileMe I'm looking forward to iCloud ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I have allowed the apple train of progress to run me over and installed Mountain Lion. It was a welcome surprise that it installed without issue and runs smoothly. However the downgrade of mission control still sucks, but I shall be keeping an eye on this for hope :

http://totalspaces.binaryage.com/changes

I think apple probably knows that mission control doesn't really do the job. Hopefully they will shake things up again in the next incarnation of OSX and make something better. If mission control is mobileMe I'm looking forward to iCloud ;)

Mission Control does a great job and I don't think Apple will replace it. It fixes the glaring issues of Spaces, adds much needed functionality.

I for one thought Mission Control was perfect with Lion and they added the few missing options that pleased all the Lion whiners in ML, so in essence, Mission Control is pretty much good for close to everyone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.