Snow Leopard cannot be installed over 10.5.8

Discussion in 'OS X' started by McVee, Dec 26, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2009
    Greetings my fellow Mac lovers, I am posting here because I have a very serious problem that needs you guys to help me solve it.
    I have a c2d 2.0 ghz black macbook that runs 10.5.8 right now with 120 GB SSD. I was trying to install Snow Leopard on to it via the dvd that came with the new 27inch iMac I bought, yet after i pop in the DVD, the screen shows that "Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer," did some search, and tried the following
    1 verify, repair disc image as well as disc permission under disc utility,
    2. repartitioned the drive, I partitioned the drive and then revert it.
    3. Boot the computer via Snow Leopard DVD, and under it, the screen still says " Snow Leopard cannot be installed on this computer" In other words, I can't even do a clean install.

I have never been so frustrated with my macs before , I tried digging around for answers on google and still no hope. Please rescue me :(

happy holidays! McVee
  2. macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    Try getting a legal copy to use. The one that came with your iMac is for your iMac.
  3. macrumors 604

Jan 26, 2008
    Isla Nublar
    +1 The restore disks that come with your computer are just for the iMac. Youll need the actual version of snow leopard to install it on a different machine. Luckly its only $30 :D
  4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    :apple: / About this Mac / More Info / Model Identifier

The restore DVDs are keyed to the model identifier, since they change quite often and only work on a specific model ... you are SOL.

Though there are rather simple ways around this problem.

And if you ask instead of searching, the mods won't take kindly to your request.

So search, or buy a retail DVD. It is only $30, and if you can buy a new 27 machine, we feel no pity for your situation.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2009
  6. neerja777, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2013
    Don't be so quick to judge! I was sent a 2-set DVD of Snow Leopard from Apple and paid for with my itunes account and apple ID. IT DOESN'T WORK EITHER!
    I, too, have been frustrated all day attempting to install on partitioned hard drive, as well as external usb bootable drive. I have followed all of the tips and tricks - TRIED EVERYTHING. I also verified that my imac is compatible with the software and according to apple support, it is, plus it came with Leopard on it, so doesn't it make sense it could run Snow Leopard? Well, no. Nothing works. The only thing it says is that it cannot be installed... and I PAID for it legally!

Wait!!! I just found this post: and following the step by step instructions appears to be working! OMG you have use the "restore" feature in disk utility! It is now copying files to my external drive and it is looking good...