Snow Leopard memory usage

Discussion in 'OS X' started by mbpcron, Aug 30, 2009.

1. macrumors member

mbpcron

I posted this thought on another thread a couple of days ago but forgot where. I noticed using iStat that after a clean boot, SL used twice the memory of a clean Leopard boot after everything settles down. So all these nice tweaks come at a price. I did get back 5GB of disk space but wonder if I'd rather have the memory. By the way, wasn't one of the benefits supposed to be faster and leaner? Yes, but leaner disk space swapped for more memory. Hope the memory mgt is good when I fire up 15 apps. We'll see.
    Example, you can view running video thumbnails. That's where part of the memory went. etc.
    I haven't decided it's bad yet. Just an observation. Any feedback?:cool:

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

My memory usage is quite same as in Leopard, maybe even better in SL.

3. thread starter macrumors member

mbpcron

Memory issue gone - weird

Booted my MBP without an external monitor or external USB drive attached and now memory is the same as with Leopard. I had booted 2 or 3 times before and it still seemed to be eating memory. Now things look better.
    Solution - detach all and boot once ???:eek:

4. macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Probably has more to do with Spotlight putting a load on the system the first couple of times you had it running since it re-indexes everything after installation/upgrade.

5. macrumors 6502

Petoz

My memory usage seems to be worse in SL. Definitely don't have as much free or inactive memory according to the istat widget or activity monitor. I have nothing connected, and have re booted a number of times since I installed SL.

Is this the case for anyone else? Any suggestions?

6. macrumors newbie

Nightwing1986

I posted this in another thread, but as per your model of MBP this may explain a little bit, let me know if it helps you.