Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P Giles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
I am really stuck with this. To be honest I am not really sure what I am doing.

I am in a school with have a single Mac server with 21 Imacs all running snow leopard. DHCP and DNS are provided by our Windows network. That is all that is provided by our Windows network. This summer we upgraded our network and our domain name changed from meridian.internal to meridiancc4.internal. We had been so busy I forgot about our mac network. First problem was that network accounts were not available on the mac network.

I quickly found the problem was being with the old host name ie our mac server was medialabserver.meridian.internal. I used sudo changeip and changed the host name to medialabserver.meridiancc4.internal. Got the clients to bind to the server again. Network accounts available and I thought everything was working. None of our users can log in and I just get told an error has occurred. The user is being authenticated but I believe the problem with the home directory.

I looked at workgroup manager and I found that afp address are still using the old server name for example afp://medialabserver.meridian.internal/homes. The full path also shows /network/server/medialabserver.meridian.internal/volumes. How is the best way to changes to reflect the new server name?

Or have I really messed things up?

P Giles
ICT Technician

freejazz-man

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
You have to change the settings of the services, not just the knobs on the host machine. I'm not sure exactly what, to be honest. But whatever is assigning out names is doing so with the old domain because nothing told it to switch over.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
I am really stuck with this. To be honest I am not really sure what I am doing.

I am in a school with have a single Mac server with 21 Imacs all running snow leopard. DHCP and DNS are provided by our Windows network. That is all that is provided by our Windows network. This summer we upgraded our network and our domain name changed from meridian.internal to meridiancc4.internal. We had been so busy I forgot about our mac network. First problem was that network accounts were not available on the mac network.

I quickly found the problem was being with the old host name ie our mac server was medialabserver.meridian.internal. I used sudo changeip and changed the host name to medialabserver.meridiancc4.internal. Got the clients to bind to the server again. Network accounts available and I thought everything was working. None of our users can log in and I just get told an error has occurred. The user is being authenticated but I believe the problem with the home directory.

I looked at workgroup manager and I found that afp address are still using the old server name for example afp://medialabserver.meridian.internal/homes. The full path also shows /network/server/medialabserver.meridian.internal/volumes. How is the best way to changes to reflect the new server name?

Or have I really messed things up?
P Giles
ICT Technician

Have you dns server resolve medialabserver.meridian.internal as well as medialabserver.meridiancc4.internal to the same ip that way all computers should connect fine regardless hostname.

Hope it helps

P Giles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks I will give that a try when I am next in Work.
--------------------

I have come into work and now found that open directory will not authenticate. I think I have messed up the server even more now.

P Giles

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.