Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Jan 7, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hey everyone,

I have a fairly long driveway which i need to have the snow removed. There is a bridge which passes over a small streem thing at one point so many plowing companies do not want to try plowing it.

This summer I bought a John Deere X585 Tractor. It is 4wd and has a button you can press with your foot which locks the differential to give power to both wheels. I can buy weights & chains to make it get even hevier to get better traction.

My question is if I should buy a front end loader, a plow/blad, or a snow thrower. The loader i could use year round, while the thrower would work faster then the loader. The plow would work good, except for in heavy snow. In wet snow the thrower will clog up most likely. Also, I'm not sure if I could put a cab on the tractor if it has the loader on.

Advice?

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

seems like the plow blade would be quicker. I guess it all depends on how much snow you get where you live.

EDIT: Of course I live in Texas, so what the hell do I know? :D

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The snow thrower wont clog is you take your time and not let it accumulate all at once. If you go 3 inches at a time you wont have a problem, if you let it get to a foot or more than you will have some trouble.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I think that the loader would be the least effective on snow, since it isn't designed to push things around. Sure you could use it other times of the year, if you do a lot of dirt hauling or something, but otherwise I wouldn't go with that.

The plow would likely be pretty fast, but since you'll have to make multiple passes to clear your driveway, plowing can be difficult and may bog down the mower as the piles continue to get higher.

The snow thrower is optimal for your primary purpose, and should provide good speed for you. I wouldn't worry about bogging down the thrower with wet snow - spray the auger and other internals with a silicone spray and it should stay nice and slick (that's what I use on my standard blower).

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd go with the plow and the thrower - if you have the money for it. Use the thrower in those big storms and when you have only a few inches you use the plow and you can also use it to clean up after the thrower...they never get all the show off the driveway, you always end up shoveling up after them....

Have fun!

D

6. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea but whos gonna wanna put the plow or thrower depending on the storm. If you get to much snow with a blade then the snow can come over the top. Even with silicon my experience with snow blowers is that when you have that wet heavy backing snow it gets clogged up anways. Do you think my tractor will weigh enough even with all the wieghts to effectivly snow blow/plow.

If its not enough for plowing I am tempted to buy one of the 6X4 john deere gators :) those are awesome machines.

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would think that your local dealer would be able to best advise you. It's hard to know what best to use not having seen that actual location. On your driveway the snow should be fairly easy to remove with a blower unless its a very heavy wet snow. Then the blade would be the better option. Also its a good idea to use chains. A John Deer Tractor should be heavy enough to do the job. It all really depends on the amount of money that you have to spend

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The only thing with the snow getting clogged is that if you take it slow enough, it shouldn't happen.

And how hard is it to switch from plow to thrower? If its a hassle then stick with what will get the most moved in least amount of work.

D

10. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I am sure it is somewhat difficut to put on the snow blower. It says its "Quik-Tatch" but thats never true. Just to get the mower deck its a pain in the you know what. I think I'll get the snow blower, hard cab, tire chains, 50lb tire wieghts, and front lighting kit (so that there are lights about snow blowing mechanism).

Thanks for the Advice!