Snow White's dwarfs more famous than US judges: poll

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 19, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

reuters

"it's the education, stupid."

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Drop the comma and swap the last two words.

So much of our culture doesn't value education and too many have contempt for real intelligence, knowledge and science. It's a self-esteem problem tied to a motivation problem. They feel inferior because of what they don't know, and while they could learn about it, it's much easier to learn to hate what you don't know than figure something out.

Soon, it's not your problem you're stupid; it's someone else's fault for knowing too much.

Our nation has had the curiousity beaten out of it.

3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Bogus.

(Great word).

Not that I doubt this is true, but kids have that narrative drilled into them. And frankly, I'd rather 5 year olds be imagining Snow White than the "narrative of the Supreme Court."

Don't get me wrong. I think Disney is pretty freaking evil. But I also don't think it's realistic to expect the Supreme Court -- and its decisions -- to enter the national "metanarrative" at the level of a child's story (read: false analogy).

Such that:

100% of English speakers know at least two letters of the alphabet. And there's a lot more of those than Supreme Court Justices, so what's wrong with us?

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You don't think it's realistic that grownups should understand the basic structure of their government?

Five-year-olds may have simple stories drilled into them, but what are they learning when they're ten or fifteen? What time American Idol is on, apparently.

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Of course I do. But I also think the analogy doesn't present a balanced view of the "average" grownup. The water a person swims in as a child shouldn't be used to demonstrate their vacuity as an adult.

To pick up where you left off, a more fair demonstration of engagement with pop culture v.s. disengagement with citizenship might be:

Name two of last 9 finalists for American Idol.

Name two Supreme Court justices.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i just noticed that whoever wrote the article opted for "dwarfs" instead of "dwarves". i wonder 1) what the reuters style guide says on the matter, and 2) if the guide says, "dwarves", if "dwarfs" was intentional.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

your point is taken, though i think we can safely feel a national shame without the comparison at all. only 11 percent could name alito? that's pathetic.

and fewer than half can name the 3 branches of gov't. that's even worse, as it's not even current events. sometimes i do think passing a civics test should be a pre-requistite to voting...

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

actually, I couldn't have named Alito...I truthfully had forgotten all about that. Though I do remember now that O'Connor resigned, and I guess Rehnquist (sp?) died recently, which is how Alito got there...

no way could I have named two of Homer's poems...I mean, I've actually seen a production of the Odyssey, but I spent precious little time in college or high school studying ancient civilizations. Shakespeare I could've handled pretty easily. Ask me about the Third Reich and I'll tell you whatever you want to know...

I'll be the first to admit, I don't watch the news. I read Newsweek and surf the web, and of course supplement that with the Daily Show. Part of my problem, I think, is that I spent so much time in college on this kind of stuff (BA in International Studies) that I pretty well know where I stand on the issues, and unless something really earth-shattering happens I'm inclined to view current events as rather uninteresting.
    Israel invades Lebanon? Nothing new...
    US dependent on foreign oil? Nothing new...
    Republican president packing the courts with idiot conservatives? Yawn...nothing new there either...

then again, at least I made an effort (and spent a lot of time and money) to get to know the issues. Whether it's done me any good I don't know...

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Ummm...20% of the freshman honors class at my high school couldn't name the capital of Texas...and I go to school in one of Austin's suburbs...

::shakes head::

10. Timepass macrumors 65816

a lot of that stuff that they ask falls under useless knowleged that really doesnt matter in everything daylife. Harry potter and most of those pop things people know them because people talk about them.

I believe one should have a general understanding of how things work in goverment but I dont care who is in office for the most part. Heck I pretty poor at following current events unless something gets my interest in the headlines from the daily paper or in the first paragragh as I skim over it. I dont watch TV news (which I think is complete crap. I read the paper to get most of my infomation but I stay semi infomred).

As for the great poet Homer yeah dont use that knowleged at all in my life or in school. But I can go into great detail about consutuction supplies. How biddding for contracts works or how different metals deflect under loads. Quite a bit of stuff about concret and how it made and more than I ever wanted to know about dirt. And a fair bit about computers and cars in general.
    Really it comes down to just what are you interest. For me it is math and sciences. Goverment I dont care enough to know who is in office or doing what. When voting comes around I will look up some stuff and see what the candidates past actoin where and what they really supported (I dont listen to there words any more it just empty promises but their action in the past I can use to predict what they will do)

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I live in West Virginia. You wouldn't believe how many people don't even know it's a state.

What's funnier than that is the all the rebel flag paraphenalia you see in WV. WV was a free state that seceded from VA, a slave state, in 1863...

...pathetic

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Just out of curiosity, where are you? I grew up in Austin, went to Westwood HS...

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Thank heavens. I am glad that the dwarfs are more important than the judges. They would do a better job at it anyways.

14. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

let's see... we've got gropey, oldie, crabby, righty, ultra-righty...

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Exactly. And really, which seem more likely to whistle while they work?

Attached Files:

16. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Dallas, great tv show too. :D

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

I wonder who gropey was looking at in that picture...

18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess that you were joking......right?

;) :p

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I was wondering that, too. He didn't vote against Ritalin use for ADHD, did he? :p

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nope, Dallas was a horrible TV Show. :p

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

boy, i'm really trying to come up with a dwarfy name for souter (that is souter, right?), but i'm falling way short. he's just so unremarkable.

what about "blendy"?

22. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Souter, along with former Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist and Justice Breyer, has a reputation for being a strong guardian of the court's institutional integrity. A traditionalist in this regard, he famously stated, in response to proposals to videotape oral arguments before the Supreme Court, "I can tell you the day you see a camera come into our courtroom, it's going to roll over my dead body"

Maybe "Basherful"? :)

Attached Files:

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Pflugerville

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Remember the National Voting Rights Act of 1965? Wouldn't the same arguments that was presented to get this bill passed be raised again against a civics test?

25. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I have to ask, and it seems somewhat pertinent in this thread: is English your native language? And: do you use some sort of primitive speech-to-text software to post on these forums?