Snowballing Debt Awaits Tomorrow's Taxpayers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 1, 2003.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/columns/la-na-outlook1dec01,1,6080296.column

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

neat!

guess this didn't belong in the 'more good economic news' thread, eh?

this is reminding me of the way in which reagan often gets credit for breaking the soviet's back. how long until we suffer a similar fate?

in other news, my financial planner keeps telling me to pay off my credit card balance.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think there are going to be more than a few republicans that have to swallow real hard when they see this kind of spending coming from a president of their party. Explaining that to a cut-government-spending crowd could be tough.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i have to agree with mactastic, bush is spending money like a liberal democrat! no doubt about it? how much was this war? it still sickens me how they have to call out the entire navy,marines,army airforce for bin laden and saddam. 2 killers and their buddies cost the American tax payer how much??? also the patriot act because of 20 thugs ? so the whole nation gives up its liberties and freedom for 20 fanatics? bush has been adding to the debt like tomorrow will never come.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And the worst part is, many of his successes like the tax cuts, and medicare among others have spending that sunsets, but if re-enacted as expected, will double or triple the cost of many of these bills. But they push them through with the most optomistic of numbers, leaving the damage to occur on someone elses watch.

Remember during the '80's and '90's when the deficit was such a hot political potatoe? Where's all that gone too?

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's gone the way of one party control. If history is any guide, give one party control of the purse strings, and that party will spend like drunken sailors.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

... on the companies that make gear for, transport, house and feed those sailors.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

gw is destined to become the most hated president ever. There is absolutely no way that the new reduced tax rates will cover the costs of his new spending plans. The economy would have to grow at phenomenal rates for that to happen and since most new jobs being created today are in the walmart category that is not going to happen.

why don't people wake up and smell manure that is coming out of this WH? Ballooning trade deficits, massively reduced foreign investment in the US, a shrinking dollar, the boomers are going to retire soon, unfunded federal mandates..... Where does it end and is the only thing that registers in people's minds tax cuts? I totally fail to understand why anyone can support such a profligate presidency.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

people are greedy.

and being anti-abortion, anti-gay and pro-busting-down-medical-marijuana-providers-doors appeals, unfortunately, to groups who are motivated come election time.

10. Rebel macrumors newbie

The reason why minority causes get so much government attention is becasue they vote. Fact #1 on average only 30% of American Citizens exercises their right to vote on a consistent basis. Our government relies on this figure because outcomes are more easily predicted than if the entire nation decided to exercise their voting rights. Let's face it, government officials need votes in order to stay in office. If the majority of the known voters are minorities, whom do you think they will cater new laws and programs for?

Of the 70% of Americans who do not exercise their right to vote, the following are listed as the most common reasons.

Will not be in the County during voting period.
    Do not want to be hassled at the voting booths.
    Do not want to wait in lines especially in cold weather.
    Complicated machinery.
    Not registered to vote.
    Feel that the candidates are not worth their time.
    Disgusted with their voting options.

The majority of this 70% are your hard working caucasion middle class. If 50% of this group excercised their right to vote in any election, it would throw the process into caos for our politicians.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Carrying credit card balances month-after-month is a bad thing. Why do you think credit card companies like to send you applications? At 20% annual interest rate (or the smaller 16.9%, or 8.9%, etc), it adds up to real money.

I should talk. I just recently paid off the last of my credit cards, and I'm not going to carry balances anymore. Best is using a Discover card, not carry a balance, and get that 1% cash back.

Wonder if I could funnel $1 billion through that. :D

12. visor macrumors 6502

no problem...

If bush spends to much money, the dollar will drop against the euro, such as now the record low $ against euro.

this is great, as mac's are becoming much cheaper here in europe ....

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I once heard a financial planner who asks his clients if they want to know about an investment that pays an 18% annual return, guaranteed. Of course they always do. His answer: pay off your credit cards.

14. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

But what if your credit cards are all paid off already, and you still want 18%?

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

duh -- start issuing credit cards! :)

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The government is getting far too out of control for my tastes. Government spending more then quadrupled during the 1990's, I loathe to see how much it has increased by 2010. America needs a viable third party dedicated to cutting the pork, Bush and Clinton have proven that either major party will spend like there is no tomorrow once they get their foot in the door.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how do you figure that?

18. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

19. Rebel macrumors newbie

The United Citizens of America

A third political party isn't going to do diddly-squat to change the corruptive nature of our political employees.

Only the American population, combined under one effective organization, can force the changes that are necessary. One man cannot change our political process, one organization can.

You all need to quit bitching about all our political problems, and start doing something about it.

I have been told within these forums that the UCAnation organization goes too far, and is too extreme, that it will bankrupt our federal system.

I say hog-wash. It is a starting point for us Americans to force change. I for one will not sit on my ass and whine about the problems. And I am glad that I found an organization out there that is not corrput like our government and every other non-profit organization. I am tired of seeing my money help other people become well-off in life. I want more of it in my own pocket.

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

There are already some political parties that espouse smaller government and less spending.

Libertarian Party.

21. Rebel macrumors newbie

The Libertarians are wolves in sheeps clothing. Don't fool yourself. If you want change, quit relying on others. Take the bull by the horns and ride the sucker until you tame it to your liking.

22. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

You are going to need to defend your comment about Libertarians being 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

That is why voters need to research the background and voting record of the candidates they vote for. If you don't know anything about the candidates, you should not vote for any of them, instead of the blanket voting of Republicans or Democrats.

23. Rebel macrumors newbie

I have met and had discussions with several Libertarians. I was not impressed, and came away from these encounters knowing that their agenda is no better than the trash currently occupying our government institutions. They have just figured out a different twist, or as marketers would say - "a niche" - all in an effort to satisfy their own greed and ambitions. Although I will not name names, I recieved the general feeling that they did not care about the average American.

As for the name Libertarian, who the hell thought of this name as a political party group? Any organization that can come up with a name that alienates people before they even know what it is about, has no clue what the average American needs, wants or likes.