Snowboard help...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by freeny, Jan 18, 2006.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I have the opportunity to recieve a free snowboard from work. I have never snowboarded before but am aching to learn and this would be a good start. My question is, how do I find out what size snowboard is right for me? What are the different sizes? etc. I know absolutely nothing about the equipment so dont be afraid to be elementary.

Thanks

my measurements;
    5'10"
    aprox 170lbs
    shoe size- mens 10

2. Dandaman macrumors 6502

I'm still a bit new to snowboarding also, but i'll try to help with what I know. (Anyone correct me where ever I am wrong).

I believe the length really depends on whether you want more control or speed. The shorter the board, the more control you will have. The longer, the faster it can go. The times I have snowboarded, I have rented and they always give me a board that reaches around my eye level. I forget what the length was, but my body dimensions are almost spot on with you. That's all i know for now. I don't know, I could be completely wrong. Hopefully not.

daniel

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Generally, if I remember right, you want something that at least reaches from your chin to the ground in length. Going up to the eyes in length would take away a little bit from the control factor.

4. Dandaman macrumors 6502

On second thought, I think you're right. When I would rent, they would be right around my chin, not my eyes.

Also, good thing you're getting a new board. Renting sucks. The edges are messed up. The last time I went, I caught an edge, hit my head on the "snow" (if anyone's boarded at Mt. High in socal, knows that it's ice rather than snow) and blacked out for a few seconds. I need to buy a board.

daniel

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Hey, this little chart might help out!

http://www.snowboardlengthcalculator.com/

Also if you plan to freestyle and ride in a terrain park get a little shorter board. The type of snow you are riding in is a factor too.

I went snowboarding a couple of days ago....ALL ICE GRANULAR...which sucked but I always have fun!! :)

6. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

thanks guys. much apreciated.:)

looks like somewhere between 156-160 cm.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

btw, this is off topic, but thought I would ask. Where did you get your avatar freeny? That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

8. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

She is a Taiwanese pop star named Hebe Tien. She is just too freakin cute. couldnt help myself;)
    Dont know her music or anything else about her, shes just freakin cute.

Heres the original. I of course had to lower the quality from the original to fit into the avatar specs:(
    I cant take the credit for creating it. Was so enamored by it on another site. Asked the original creator permission to use it and he was nice enough to let me.

Attached Files:

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I was admiring that too as I read this thread! I actually like how the 'tar looks with the lower quality - I think it adds to it!

10. CompUser Guest

Dude, believe me, skiing is so much better. Trust me.

I don't know if you already ski, but when you learn to snowboard you're butt is going to be so sore after the first year you have it.

Skiings better!!!!!!!!!

What kind of snowboard is it?

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I have a feeling my butt will be sore no matter which one I choose. I chose snowboarding because I use to skateboard for about 7 years so I think I would be a little more comfortable. As far as the kind of board that remains to be determined. I work for ESPN and we are doing an event at x-games where we will use several boards as decor. after the event I will be able to grab one. I doubt it will be too expensive but as I said, Im just starting so its really a training board. We have a dealer who is going to give us a selection and I will chose one from there.

12. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Definately agree with you there! Boarding is far too slow and can't catch as much air! Though, it is easier to do rails.

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Sexy! Thanks!

And no, skiing is not better than boarding. With Skiing you not only have to worry about two poles, but FOUR edges as opposed to two on a snowboard. Since you skated for so long, you'll pick it up in a few days. Just remember to take as many runs as you can. Don't go big until you know how to control the board fully. By your fifth day, you should be doing 10-15 foot drop offs, jumps, and manuals down the hillsides.

It's also better if you get powdered snow like we have in COlorado. ;)

14. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I think boarding has a shorter learing curve than skiing. For you, since you skateboarded for a while, I think that will help too. It isn't necessarily the same, but it will allow you to get comfortable faster, since you are used to the stance and moving with speed that way from skating. Turning is a little different though, becasue you have to get on your edges instead of just leanign into the trucks a little like you would when skating.

I ski, but many of my friends board. Many of us used to skate as well, and on the occasions that I snowboarded, I do think skateboarding background helped a little. Not a lot...but it did help some...

I think both are a lot of fun - I prefer to ski becasue I am much better on skis.

Try to snag a helmet too if you can. Especailly when learning snowboarding I think they come in handy. Sometimes you can catch an edge and fall back, slamming the back of your head into the ground. It happens in a split second and hurts like hell...

15. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I plan on having all the safety equipment when I go but I will probably have to pay for it. We dont plan on using helmets as a decoration unfortunately. Im also pretty sure I will be putting down the bunny hill for the majority of my time learning to stop.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Everyone told me the same thing when I learned to snowboard but I never came up limping or anything. I had my share of falls (like all beginners do), but maybe I just know how to fall in such a way that I don't get hurt.

I strongly agree w/m-dogg's suggestion of getting a helmet. I never really got my bell rung by my GF (we were taking lessons together) smacked her head hard... twice. From now on I'll always wear a helmet. Like I said, I haven't gotten my bell rung yet and I'd liked to keep it that way.

Lethal

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I found stopping to be pretty easy, but for me turning from toe-edge to heel-edge (which involved switching from a chest-facing-up-mountain position to a chest-facing-down-mountian position) to be difficult because it always felt like a "blind turn" to me since I couldn't lead the turn w/my eyes. I'm also much more comfortable on my toe-edge than my heel-edge, but that's something I want to work on the next time I'm out.

Lethal

18. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Now that I've been snowboarding for a few years now in Colorado, I can offer some sound advice on things such as linking turns.

At first, I often wanted to go straight from a toeside to heelside. This can often result in tumbles, falls, and very bad memories. Effectively try to go from a toe-edge, flat, and then onto the heel-edge. Much smoother.

I also tend to ride the whole trail laterally when I do not know it that well. After about 10 runs on that same trail, I can pretty much ride flat, with great speed using very minimal edging to turn.

Above all, falling is learning. My instructor told me "if you're not falling, you're not pushing yourself hard enough!" ...and it's true. I often fall once a run, because I'm trying some exxxxtreme edging. Only one way to go though, and that's up.

19. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm a skiier and don't know much about boarding but I just wanted to point out to wear wrist guards! About 5 of my friends have broken or sprained their wrists learning to board.

20. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Sorry to be late to the thread, you're almost exactly my size... though im a bit heavier than you.

I ride a 158 when im just free riding the mountain, and a 155 for hitting rails and such.

Try to start with a shorter board in the spectrum, you'll go slower, but you'll learn control better. Starting with a 160 would be suicide, IMHO, and you'd crash more than you'd need to.