Snowstorm coming to Midwest, USA

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrldwzrd89, Dec 22, 2004.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A large region of the Midwest part of the USA, stretching north and east from northeast Missouri to northeast Ohio, is expected to get snowed on today (Wednesday, December 22, 2004) and tomorrow (Thursday, December 23, 2004). Those on the southwest edge can expect 1-3 inches of snow with some wintry mixture and/or freezing rain early. Those on the northeast part of this can expect 3-6 inches today, 3-6 inches tonight, and another 6-12 inches tomorrow. Some places (such as Dayton, OH) may set new snowfall records.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

And it gets better - after that, the temperatures really drop off. We're expecting a high of 2°F in Chicago on Friday, with a low of -5°F. Looks like we'll hit a warming trend by Sunday, with temps reaching the mid 20's.

Ouch.

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Flying to FLA tomorrow night. Will probably be nothing short of nerve-wracking.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Looks like you might get caught right in the middle of the big storm and the lake effect snow that will be coming tonight. Warsaw's in kind of a no-man's land (in more ways than one), and gets left out of much of the lake-effect stuff. Although last winter I almost got snowed in there once..

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Im heading back to ol Indiana to see the inlaws for Christmas. I'm really enjoying the lack of snow and cold temperatures here in San Francisco! But I GUESS seeing snow will be okay, just as long as I can head right back home afterwards

9. smitdavi macrumors member

I'm in southern IN and were getting pounded. I'd say right now (12:35pm) we have close to a foot on the ground and thier predicting close to 2 feet. It just keeps coming with no end in site.

10. cubist macrumors 68020

I'm in Muncie and we didn't get a flake. I think the whole shmear is moving into Ohio now. Maybe it'll hit the east coast gloaters.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That'll be rain for us here in New England on Thursday :(

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My brother lives in Middletown, Ohio just 20 miles South of Dayton. Sounds like he just may have a White Christmas.

We had about 2" of snow Monday. Then on Tuesday it was cold, the low was 5 and the high of 32. Today we are back above normal at 42, normal of 40. So it sounds like rain for us. :(

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It's snowing in my part of Texas, and I LOVE it!!!!

14. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i'm getting ready to leave work and i can't believe i have to drive home in this... ugh. i hope i make it home alive! oh well, perhaps i'll pray for a snow day tomorrow?

15. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

More bad news...

I just checked the weather forecast for my area, and it looks like freezing rain is expected in the morning, changing over to snow...then I'll get 1-3 inches of snow on top of that (as opposed to 6-10 inches, which was the earlier forecast).

In other news....

This should be my 3,000th post, and should promote me to macrumors 68040.

EDIT: I was right! It was my 3,000th post, and I am now a macrumors 68040!

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

There's a part of me that wishes we were getting that much snow :D

I have heard that we'll be getting some later tonight/tomorrow...we'll see.

I'll post pics if it happens ;)

D

17. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

its just another classic Ohio winter, right wrldwzrd89?

Here at my house in Waterville, Ohio, just SW of Toledo, we are expected to get 3-6 tonight and another 2-4 tomarrow.

And thats not the worst thing about it. The thing that is the worst, is that i work outside in the mournings. Getting my Carhartt's ready for work as we speak.

18. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd agree with you there. This sort of thing is common for winter in the state of Ohio.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

personally i dont mind snow, i just hate driving in it, especially on back roads, so im glad that Northern IL area isn't getting hit, and that there is no lake effect this far away!

i dont mind it being below freezing or any of that stuff, snow is nice to look at, but not to walk or drive through!

oh and yesterday was the shorest day of the year! today was pretty short too, ahhh!

20. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I'm envious of those who are getting snow. Here in central Minnesota, we need the snow. So much of our area depends on the stuff for tourism/commerce, not to mention that a good foot or two insulates the ground so that the ground doesn't freeze too deep.

Two years ago, a lot of people had problems with septic tanks/water lines freezing up because of the lack of snow cover. I don't care for freezing rain at all. Please be careful.

Enjoy the snow and a white Christmas.

21. Mac til death macrumors regular

It snowed here and even further down into Mississippi.

22. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Wow, 3 to 6 inches of snow, 2 feet in some area's??? How can you deal with this??

I'm living in Seattle now, but 2 years ago in rochester we would get that much every day. 6 inches was a good day, it easily hit 2 feet at points. I think the totals for the year were WELL over 13 feet. Stop ur whining!

Oh yeah, PS, I'm taking an overnight into Midway tonight, I couldn't care less.

BEN

23. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

We already got our snow 2 days ago in north-central Wisconsin - 7-8 inches worth. Makes for instant winter, combined with the cold weather that followed it. 0 degrees right now...Brr.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is awesome Mr. Anderson. It will give us a chance to see more of your lovely new house. That is if you allow us that privilege. Either way would like to see the Christmas decorations at your new house. There is nothing like a nice White Christmas, certainly makes me miss Nebraska.

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's the best part though! :D