'Snowstorms on way' for chilly UK

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Nov 21, 2005.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As long as it's at the weekend, I can't wait :D

It's certainly bloody cold enough *shivers*. Very depressing get ting back to the station tonight, pitch black, think fog, and freezing cold, bleh :(

BUT SNOW!!!! YAY!

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Fantastic. The whole country will be at a standstill by Saturday morning...

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I miss the snow where I live.. which is why I want to move back oop north. My wife says she's onboard with that idea.. but I don't think she REALLY knows what she's getting into here. She's COLD when it's 70F (21C)!

Let me know who wins the official snowball fight!

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just so long as they get the heating at the office fixed before then...

It was icy today... we were all sitting in coats and scarves...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

...heh, you think that's hardship, in the pub at lunch, it was...

...quite nippy :eek: :eek: :p

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

It was quite toasty in our local pub at lunchtime ;)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

.. it's expected to be a very cold winter in the UK this year.

My parents are in the North of Scotland and their heating oil cost 3 times what it did last year - they're looking forward to it I can tell! :(

9. Lau Guest

Yay!

Yay yay yay!

I loves the snow, mmhmm. And I just bought myself a sexy winter coat so I can be all, erm, sexy in the snow too. :p

10. dcv macrumors G3

Aaaaaarrrrrrghh I HATE the cold. Am so very glad my boiler is fixed!!

But now i've got my gym membership it *can't* snow... or i won't bother to leave the house... :eek:

I hate snow in London... it's pretty for about 5 minutes and then it just turns into nasty grey sludge and killer black ice :( :( grrrrr :(

11. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

w00t1111!!!
    Enough with the saddo expressions.
    I'm very happy that it's supposed to snow - I've always been a cold weather boy. My windows are still open this week.
    I seem to have a reversed version of Seasonal Affective Disorder
    This week is going to be great :D Bring on the snowball fights.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Sorry, but I can't share in the w00ting... I can't stand the bloody stuff.

What makes it even better is the fact that I'm the only person at work who doesn't live out of town. I can fully see myself working alone while my workmates cry off because the roads are blocked... :(

13. Lau Guest

You've got 3 days - quick, move!

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Hmm... tempting, but my girlfriend might have something o say about that. Still, she has to travel all the way to Sc*nthorpe to work so she won't be complaining if the weather makes traveling to work impossible...

15. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

My office is doing a bet on which London Underground will be the first to shut down due to bad weather. My money is on the Northern Line.

16. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Looks like some time off work for me then, When it snows half centimetre in stoke the traffic grinds to halt and it takes 5 hours to travel a ten minute journey. One year the council blamed this on the wrong type of grit. :confused:

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Doesn't the Northern Line break down most days? Snow would just be a novel excuse.... particularly since most of it is Underground. :confused: I'll vote District.

It is funny how little/much it can snow in different bits of London. One day last year, I left the house to find 2 inches of snow which had caused the typical havoc with London transport. My 40 minute journey took nearly 2 hours; when I got to the office, there wasn't a flake.

18. Lau Guest

Hmm, I'm under my own steam here in Bath, but have to get up and down a giant hill of doom. Last time it snowed here I was up at college and me and my friend basically skied all the way down holding onto the railings. I've never tried to get up the hill in the snow, though as a responsible 3rd year I'd suppose I'd better, even if it does. Could be fun though, last time we all went sledging on random objects down the golf course next to our college, and (obviously) had a snowball fight. :) I quite like being out in the snow, it feels a bit explorery.

19. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

This is my first winter in the U.K. (Oxford). It doesn't seem so bad compared to home (New England).

20. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

I wonder if there is a paragraph anywhere that can describe us british people, and our love affair with the british weather.

Its too hot, its too cold, its raining, its not raining. OMG where did the summer go, we never have cold winters anymore, this is the coldest winter on record, how much snow 2 inches? Theres more, but i could easily get carried away.

21. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I don't mind the fog. It gives me an excuse to use the fog lights and everyone slows down, which is another excuse for being late. :p ....kidding!!!

Snow, Ice, Fog, & wind chill is all fine. It's the dark nights that piss me off :mad: 8 hours of daylight and counting. So depressing! :(

22. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

So there isn't a "typical" winter here? People seem to be telling me that this has been unusually cold. I still get by wearing a long sleeve T-shirt and windbreaker outside. Any colder and I will have to break out the winter gear. Too bad there doesn't seem to be much good skiing in the London area.

23. mikebatho macrumors 6502a

Dammit, I hate the cold!!!

Worst still, my boiler isn't working properly.

I can't get her to make me a brew!

:p

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Exactly. The novelty of it soon wears off and as the days stretch on and you're trudging through the slush — wearing wooly tights beneath your trousers — to an intermittent tube service, you soon come to detest the bloody stuff.

Still, at least I've got central heating now.