Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I guess it's different strokes for different folks after reading the comments in this thread.

I've owned T-and L-shaped MagSafe power adapters. And in my opinion the L-shaped one is by far superior then the T-shaped ones. It doesn't come off as easily as the T-shaped ones. Also I like that the L-shaped angled at 90 degrees, so it's "hanging off" the mac like the T-shaped ones.

sekh

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Can confirm this can be annoying. If you don't believe it, try sitting your laptop in your lap. It's fine if you keep your legs straight and together but if you want to sit cross legged (as I do on a bed) the magsafe will disconnect. You can solve it by holding your mac off to the side or balance it on one leg, but this is not ideal for long-term use.

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I love it being loose!

My old L-shaped one on my 2010 MacBook Air was falling apart from all the tugging.

My MagSafe 2 adapter on my 2012 MBA is wonderful!! I'll never have that problem!

Tompkinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
.DE
Also, when using your macbook on your lap, you don't rest the MagSafe on your leg, you rest the laptop on your leg, so that video is complete rubbish.

I agree, it's actually just silly.
At first he rests the MagSafe on his leg: it obviously disconnects.
After fitting his ring he rests the whole macbook on his leg. The MagSafe - obviously - does not disconnect.

Since introduction of MagSafe I have not had a single problem with "unwanted disconnection" - on multiple macbooks.

ianday

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
I work with magnets. Once the coating wears off or chips off, the raw material (often neodymium in my case) can easily spark. Same here; if the gold plating wears away, whatever is underneath can spark easily, no matter how well-machined it is.

Who really cares if it sparks? Are you all working next to petrol pumps?

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Interesting, I wonder if this would reintroduce the original problems with the old T-Shaped Magsafe?

Man I hated the T.

The design on the L Magsafe is alot more matching to Apple, I still can't help but wonder why they didnt shrink the L for magsafe 2.

Well, the L sucks too, I have my third adapter because the cable keeps breaking directly after the L-connector within a few months (yes it will not unplug like to T-shape but this is also an annoying drawback). Hope they'll invent something to support the cable and even better: a replaceable cable you can plug-in into the adapter, just like the power cord on the other end. Then if the cable breaks you have 10 dollar replacement instead of a 80 dollar replacement and everybody can choose L or T shape connectors to their likes.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I never understood the change from the L-shape back to the T-shape because I thought it was a point of fatigue failure.

MagSafe 2 seems flimsier that MagSafe 1 but I've never had any problems with it. Of course I don't use my MacBooks plugged in on my lap or an uneven surface. Third parties to the rescue ;)

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Interesting, it seems I'm the only one who likes this! Macbook Air with the 90 degree magsafe was almost perfect (though it did flex and destroy the cable at the connection…again) old Macbook Pro's have been fine with the standard magsafe..

However my retina Macbook Pro is a nightmare. I think the magsafe connecter is too long, it falls out ALL the time for me. Ive never had this issue before - but it happens at least 4-5 times a day for me.

Ive also decided to loop it back on itself, and put velcro around the joint so there is now no pressure on the connector itself so the cable won't break. Makes the above problem worse of course cos the loops sticks out even further - its a trade of for that or a frayed cable in 9 months.

Although I have started treating nearly all Apple cables with Sugru and/or amalgamated rubber tape to improve the durability.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
This brings back flashes of when a 6th grader tripped over my Powerbook charging cable and *poof* ... donezo. :(

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I was just looking for a solution like this. The connection on my rMBP is pretty weak and is always falling out. The only solution I found wasn't able to be used with the lid closed. This would be perfect.

For what it is, $12 is too much but it's better than the $19 it will eventually be.

EDIT: Just read that it's $12 for a pair which isn't that bad.

i would buy a single one for maybe $7 including shipping. i have no use for 2 and anything over $9 just breaks a psychologic price barrier for me for a small ring of metal. *shrug*

good luck to them though. i do have these issues and it's nice to see someone trying to fix it. hopefully it doesn't do the magsafe plug a disservice.

You guys are forgetting about that pricey removal tool...er, I mean paperclip that comes with it. That has to be worth $3-4.

----------

Looks like he missed the point of MagSafe. It's supposed to disconnect!!

With this 'snuglet' fitted, your MacBook will be ripped off your table when you trip over a cable.

Also, when using your macbook on your lap, you don't rest the MagSafe on your leg, you rest the laptop on your leg, so that video is complete rubbish.

Infomercial 101: Always you ridiculous examples to make people think there is a real problem.

http://youtu.be/08xQLGWTSag

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
For all you people proclaiming this is a "solution in search of a problem" -- did it ever occur to you that (gasp) the fact that you don't have a problem doesn't mean that other people don't? Or that (gasp again) different people use their laptops differently?

Many of us have this problem, but many of us see the fact that we would rather be slightly annoyed by our power cord coming out of our laptop now and again, than risk destroying our 1500+ laptop because of someone clumsily tripping over the cord.

As someone who's had a broken power port on a laptop which is a $500+ fix (on an $800 dell just isn't worth it), I'm more than happy to deal with a few inadventent disconnects. Frankly with a 2.5lb laptop (i.e. MBA) that I own, I want the connection to be as lose as possible because my MagSafe 1 almost took my 2011 MBA withit several times. I like my MagSafe 2 as "lose" as it is.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Many of us have this problem, but many of us see the fact that we would rather be slightly annoyed by our power cord coming out of our laptop now and again, than risk destroying our 1500+ laptop because of someone clumsily tripping over the cord.

As someone who's had a broken power port on a laptop which is a $500+ fix (on an $800 dell just isn't worth it), I'm more than happy to deal with a few inadventent disconnects. Frankly with a 2.5lb laptop (i.e. MBA) that I own, I want the connection to be as lose as possible because my MagSafe 1 almost took my 2011 MBA withit several times. I like my MagSafe 2 as "lose" as it is.

Fair enough, then it sounds like the product isn't for you. That doesn't really address his point that it does suit some people; and it isn't "a solution in search of a problem".

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Fair enough, then it sounds like the product isn't for you. That doesn't really address his point that it does suit some people; and it isn't "a solution in search of a problem".

But who truly does it suit? Does no one understand the point of the Magsafe? Unless your Macbook sits on a desk and is NEVER plugged in somewhere it can be tripped over, then this product would be fine. In this case though, you wouldn't have the disconnect issue.

The solution to the "problem" is education of why the Magsafe2 acts the way it does. That's the solution. This is not the solution. I can't wait until the first of these go out and we see dozens of people complaining about broken macbooks because their magsafes didn't disconnect.....

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
But who truly does it suit? Does no one understand the point of the Magsafe? Unless your Macbook sits on a desk and is NEVER plugged in somewhere it can be tripped over, then this product would be fine. In this case though, you wouldn't have the disconnect issue.

The solution to the "problem" is education of why the Magsafe2 acts the way it does. That's the solution. This is not the solution. I can't wait until the first of these go out and we see dozens of people complaining about broken macbooks because their magsafes didn't disconnect.....

my thoughts exactly

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

IF a Magsafe connector disconnects too easily (i.e. if it disconnects with every minor movement of the laptop), it's a genuine problem. Not as bad as a broken laptop, but very, very annoying all the same. At some point, you'd give up and look for a solution like this.

I don't have this problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Yet another solution to first world problems...I'm glad someone was able to pull this idea out of the bin

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Yet another solution to first world problems...I'm glad someone was able to pull this idea out of the bin

You're already late in this thread declaring first world problems. Seriously. People need to stop with this. Yes this is a "first world problem". Point was already made. If you are going to make this comment, at least have the decency to look to see if someone has already covered it in the previous three pages (and by the way all you had to do was read to comment 10 to see it was already made).

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It's already been funded with 29 days to go so I would say this is a real problem that alot of people have.

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
This is a stupid product. The whole point of the magsafe, or any other magnetized power cord, is to come loose when there is force applied to it. This is to protect the device from being pulled off tables, desks, etc. I can only imagine bad things for people that use these.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
What junk. These Kickstarter projects are getting a little bit out of hand. You WANT the connector to disconnect... that the entire idea. This is basically so your cable ends up on the floor and not your MacBook.

And $12? These guys need to find a Chinese connection. In China, that's less than a buck in materials AND labor.

Do people really have magnet issues? I've never once had a magnet issue with any Apple products, and I've owned every one of their laptops with magnets.

Oh, can someone make it so my Apple iPad cover won't come off please! I'd really like a product that made the magnet so strong my cover will never get loose. I'm sure Kickstarter will save the day on this one.

If apple put in in a box with their logo it would be $29

----------

It's already been funded with 29 days to go so I would say this is a real problem that alot of people have.

Yep, those who post here are no measure of the true problem.

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
looks like making up a problem to justify a "solution" :rolleyes:
never had the magsafe2 disengaging over slight pull. it has just the right amount of attachment vs. pulling power ratio.

Have you ever tried using your new MacBook Air or MacBook Pro in bed, on your lap, or on the go? Even the slightest movement will cause the power cable to disconnect or stop charging.

yes, i do this a lot, never had it falling like the video describes. plus, you can see in the video that he doesn't use the connector like he uses it with his product, making his claims a bit of a lie :|

without snuggle:
5bs80n.png

with snuggle:
2jeqqft.png

edit:
I Backed it...My cats are always knocking the power plug out of my rMBP when its on my desk.

well, we'll see what you'll do once they knock your mac off the desk...

Last edited:

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Here's a quote from their funding email:

There has been a bit of confusion about how the Snuglet works and if the MagSafe 2 connector still disconnects. We VERY carefully engineered the Snuglet to still release properly. The Snuglet does NOT work based on friction and will NOT make your power connector any more difficult to insert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.