So anyone have a Roomba?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jaw04005, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I got a Roomba a few months ago for my house. The tire treads broke after a few weeks, but I finally found out how to order new ones online. I got them in today, glued them back on, and BAM its going strong! I love the little guy. :)

Just wondering if any other MacRumors members own one? Have you had problems, etc?

2. kolache macrumors member

I want to get one just to see the cats' reaction to it :D

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

4. dcv macrumors G3

No point for me, i have a fairly small flat and too many stairs!

let me know when one for the stairs comes out... i live on the top floor of a five storey building and i'm the only person who ever bothers to clean the communal areas. now that's a lot of stairs....

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, does it work? My wife and I just bought a house and it's got a lot of hardwoods that are a pain to constantly sweep/swiffer. Especially with 3 cats. If I could get something to clean AND scare cats, simultaneously, well that would just be killer.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I went early-adopter and bought an original model... i have to say, it performed surprisingly well... until the battery gave out... but they've made a lot of changes in the past couple of years, i believe the battery issue is worked out. Even with my dead battery and lost $200 investment, I'm still considering buying one of the Scheduler models, because, ahem, it would REALLY freak out the cats if it turned on and we weren't home. And yes, it does freak out cats, but only the first couple of times ;)

As far as it's performance (because the general roller/vacuum concept hasn't evolved much)... it uses a traditional roller-brush (like the old motorless sweepers) to grab big stuff, then a rubber vacuum strip, which is perforated so as not to collapse under the pressure... that's what gets the scraps/dust. Roomba will probably cover the same spot 2-5 times while cleaning, so after a full cycle, your room is nice and clean. It doesn't get deep-down dirt, dander, that stuff, so you still need to push-vac once a month or so. But in terms of being a timesaver, it's worth it for me....

7. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I bought one last Christmas, and I'm really happy with it. Our apartment is carpeted, and it keeps the floors surprisingly clean... especially if you use it often. We start it when we leave for work in the morning, and it's great to come home to freshly swept carpets at night.

The only thing to be aware of is cleaning it thoroughly after each use. It was kind of a pain at first, but it really only takes about 5 minutes to do it properly. It's the best way to ensure that it keeps running smoothly.

I recommend it.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, cleaning after each use is a must. They include cleaning tools with some models I think... but get all of the dust and hair and threads out, it's not nearly as forgiving as your upright vac is. All of the parts come off easily, you can clean under the filter, in the vacuum chamber, etc.

The other thing I would call a "must-do"... you have to "roomba-proof" your place at first... make sure there aren't any odd crevaces or overhangs that will catch Roomba or get it stuck. For some people it's not a problem. My entertainment center is just the height of the unit, so it would get wedged underneath... so i raised it a bit.

And of course, you'll want to make sure it's clean under your bed, because Roomba does a terrific job of getting the dust bunnies... and also, tangling with any loose objects that are under there :)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How does it cover an area? Surely it misses a lot of spots. Is it random?

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

interesting thread. i've been thinking about getting one of these and was curious about whether or not it's really worth it. we have a dog (a 116 lb and growing great dane named jake) and he sheds a lot more than expected. there are tiny gray hairs all over our floor at any given time, except for a period of about 2 hours after vacuuming. i thought about getting a roomba to just run regularly to pick up his fur, dog treat crumbs, etc. plus, i thought it would be interesting to see how jake "interacted" with the roomba. he's pretty brave for the most part - the only thing that really freaks him out are helium balloons, oddly enough.

i think i'll consider getting one at least to try out...

marianne

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I can vacuum my apartment in 5 minutes so I guess there's no point in me having one...