So anyway, I got mugged last night

Discussion in 'Community' started by CrackedButter, Feb 15, 2005.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I live in the UK so some people here know what I mean when I say they were Townies or Chavs.

There was 4 of them as well. You know what they got off me when after they threw a bottle at me, then threw and broke one over my head, then kicked me to the ground?

65p!

Thats all they wanted it seemed, I wear glasses as well but that didn't seem a problem when putting a boot to my face. The glasses themself were hurtled 4 feet. After that I couldn't see them. I have only just got them as well since over the weekend I stopped using my contacts.

I very luckily nearly lost my ipod mini and iBook to them. They didn't seem interested in the crumpler bag I had. I would of been more negative if they had those. All my student work was on the thing, however. The CD slit has been bent in so it is hard to get a CD in, im gonna have to force it upward in order to fix it.

As my luck would have it, they look like any other Chav on the street so the police I doubt will find them and I didn't get a good look at them either, I was more concerned about my girlfriend who was with me at the time, she had to see me get put down by the 4 lads. Something I'm not pround of.

Whats more puzzling is that 3 of them had ran off with no intention of wanting anything, the 4th stayed behind and asked for my money, me at this moment back on my feet and without any sort of clear sight thought it was best to give him my change and be done with it.

Strange learning experience. It was a random attack as well! :confused:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Sorry to hear about the attack - it does seem like a totally random event. I don't understand the motive when robbery wasn't the primary goal. And very glad that the little turds didn't get your iBook/iPod

Don't worry about your girlfriend seeing you - there's no way she'd have expected you to be able to beat off 4 guys. Part of me would have been more concerned if my boyfriend had been able to (where did he learn to fight like that!?!?!)

I had my handbag snatched last year although luckily, aside from a few bruises, I wasn't harmed and the insurance company replaced my iPod. I'm still very cautious now when walking alone in the dark and I've felt myself jump a few times for completely innocuous reasons. It's something that I suspect will take longer to fade. Don't worry if you feel this way too.

It's always worth telling the police as much as you can remember. Sometimes things become clearer a few hours after the attack when your brain has recovered a little from the shock Hopefully the area was covered by CCTV so that they might be able to spot them entering/leaving the area.

Sorry again - hope the bruises heal soon!

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're fine besides a few bruises. I'll never understand sheer violence, it's the language of the inarticulate. Anyway I am happy for you that you got to keep your iBook, etc. although your health is more important. And don't worry about your girlfriend seeing you, I don't know a whole lot of people who could fight 4 guys and come out ahead.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Thats a **** thing to happen Crackedbutter.I'm glad you didn't suffer any real physical damage. Unfortunetly it my be some time before you feel comfortable on the street again and thats a bad thing.The police if they didn't find them immediatly are unlikely to do anything else.Good luck.

5. brap macrumors 68000

That bites. Typical of the society we live in, though.

My sympathy, and hopes you get over it soon.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Reminds me of when I was in high school. I was on the debate team, and we went on an out of town trip to a tournament. One of the people from my school went for a jog, 4 people drove up to him, got out of the car, beat him up, then got back in the car and drove away for no apparent reason.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. iGav macrumors G3

Man thats sucks, f**kin' chav's eh'... they all deserve a damn good kicking.

I was jumped when walking home by a couple of townies when at was at Uni, almost had my left eye taken out by their bling rings. :rolleyes: unless your trained in self defence or a martial art then multiple attackers are always going to be problematic when you're on your own, I was 'lucky' that mine were both beered up, so I just went after one and choked him until his 'mate' backed off... the worse thing was though was that when I went to report it to the Police, they didn't give a stuff... went through the motions, took the report and that was that, never heard anything from them again.

Just put it down to bad luck and try not let it affect you, pick yourself up, and dust yourself down, otherwise the scumbags will have won.

G

9. Badradio macrumors 6502

You had a bottle smashed on your head, took a serious kicking and still walked away from it: that's not something you should be ashamed of. I'm impressed.

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    sorry to hear that mate. but everyone's right, don't be hard on yerself for not fighting them off, odds are not on your side.

i learnt on the subway in nyc that it's best to just give it up and try and avoid confrontation at all costs...this guy started to lay into me on night for no reason other than he must have been so f'ed up on drugs, i stood up for myself, laying in some good punches too, but the guy was not going down, he just wasn't feeling it, so in the end, i had to throw him off the train at a station to end it.

you were lucky, they went away (somewhat, it seems) easily. and yeah, great to hear you got away with your iPod/iBook too.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Glad you're relatively OK and didn't lose more than you did. It's a hell of a thing being mugged. It's happened to me only twice: once in Amsterdam (late night--shouldn't have been on a dark street--stupid of me) and oddly in a mall in downtown DC during a snowstorm, so no cops around (the guy said he had a gun, to which I wanted to say, "dude, you're built like Mike Tyson, you don't even need a gun!") My dad just was mugged in the last year in DC too, late at night but in an area one wouldn't raelly expect it to happen (Dupont Circle).

It all makes you think. I just applied for British citizenship last week. Considerations of British petty crime will have to be weighed in when in 4-5 months I swear allegance to the Queen and have to make some serious decisions about whether or not I'm really going.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

When outnumbered just let 'em know that you know you'll get your ass kicked, but you'll focus on one of them and really do some damage to him.

Then you'll see if any of the four want to take the chance they'll be the lucky one.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Mate, 1 vs 4 nutty chavs. Absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Seriously.

14. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

That is not very nice hope that this wont happen to you again :(

Hope everything is OK now with you and your gf :rolleyes:

15. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I had a knife flashed to me in Amsterdam once but somehow managed to walk past it...I guess the guy was more stoned than me.

About a year ago I was this close to getting my head kicked in by some chavs in Stoke (Tunstall actually) but talked my way out of it. My brother had previously lamped one of them in a takeaway then, when the guy had gone and got his mates, my brother ran off and left me and the missus with them. Me, being a bit of a fat git, decided running was futile. Maybe not running made them think I was 'harder' than I actually was?

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn, sorry to hear that - but glad you got away without any major issues.

Sounds like they were bored and just wanted to cause some pain and let loose some boredom. :rolleyes:

D

17. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The police took me for a drive after the event and we went looking for them. Trouble was, there were loads of townies out last night so it is hard trying to find one scumbag out of a group of scumbags.

I'm actually angry this morning and while it does change your perception of life when walking around town. I think it is best to not let them win by simply shying away. I think for my sake I'll change buses and stay out of the way of hot zones but I'm in two minds to be more confrontational in future. If trouble still comes my way that is...

Thanks for the kind comments. Really cheered me up. Im happier now for it. :)

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sometimes if you go looking for a fight or try and be too confrontational it just ends up worse.

Did you go driving around in the car with your girlfriend? Can't say that would be all that much fun. And out of curiosity, what was she doing while you were otherwise preoccupied?

D

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That sucks big time! :mad:

The same thing happenned to me about two years ago. They weren't after money, just wanted to beat up a random jogger. Three versus one! At least I broke one of their noses!

You're getting a massive amount of sympathy from me. It's a really weird feeling after - you kind of take it personally which isn't right because it's not like you should.

Anyway, lets hope it doesn't happen again.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm very sorry to hear of the attack. You described the damage to your iBook, but how are you? Stitches? Just bruises? Hopefully, nothing permanent. What complete idiots. Thirty years from now, you can look back and realize they're probably all either dirt poor, in jail, or dead.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well that stinks! :mad: I'm sorry to hear about it.

I like the way you think. ;)

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the important thing to remember is that you and your gf are safe and sound, at least they didnt pull a gun on you or anything, ive had that happen to me and let me tell you it was not a fun thing to deal with, just be glad that you made it through, that they didnt get your book and pod and that your gf is safe and sound as well

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sorry to hear about your scuffle. Sucks, but it sounds like you are fortunate that these idiots were only interested in roughing you up a bit. Four of them against you, even if your gf chimes in...it could have been much, much worse. You and your gf made it through relatively unscathed considering and, miraculously, you still have your Crumpler and it's contents (must not have been shiny enough for them :rolleyes: ). Sadly, the cops will probably never find these bozo's.
    How much bling can chavs buy for 65p? Morons.

Set aside your wounded pride, the important thing is that your gf was not harmed. You may not feel like you won, but that is a big victory.
    **shudders at how it might have gone otherwise**

24. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm glad you're alright, mate, that really sucks. God help the chav who tries to relieve my of my PowerBook or iPod, he'll never wear a Burberry baeball cap again that's for certain.

Any fight you walk away from uninjured is a good result, I'll run rather than fight these days after being arrested for decking a couple of drunk blokes in Leicester Square a few years ago, one pulled a knife on his girlfriend and needed a quiet reminder as to how ladies are treated...

Anyway, the police saw it my way after they found the knife, but I'm always wary of what having black-belts can do in an open situation like that, the courts REALLY don't like you damaging the citizens...

25. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Fortunately you came out of it okay.

As for them, the cowards that they are, they'd run away like the scared rabbits that they are if confronted by someone like Tyson or a *Dirty Harry* type with a gun to defend himself.