So anyway vpc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BakedBeans, Jun 22, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

im in need of a little advice

i have never had the need to use virtual pc so i wouldnt know if it runs really smoothly or not
    i will be running it on a 15inch powerbook either 1.33 or 1.5 (any ideas??)

i will be programming in csharp and thats all i will use the vpc for...

any advice would be greatfully recieved

EDIT: stupid feckin windows

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well if the program you use is like or similar to Internet Conqueror (oopps! I mean Internet Explorer, silly me! :D ) you should be just fine.

You can't play any games in VPC, maby other than solitar or pong. ;)

But you should be fine.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Programming should be fine in Virtual PC. I use it on my powerbook 1.25. It's slow for sure, but it works. The actual coding part should be smooth, any compiling you do may be slower than you want.

Lee Tom

4. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Be aware that your actually talking abour running the whole .NET platform - which stands at over a Gig in size and is not lightweight to any degree - on an emulated PC, no small task. By all means give it a try but it seems like a bit much to me.

I'd suggest you just get mono (not the desease ;)) which is now available for OSX from the link below. Just incase your not sure what this is: Mono is a full open source implementation of the .NET framework which runs under todays most popular platforms including *nix, Windows and Mac.

http://www.go-mono.com/

Have fun,

Mark.

5. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Compiling for sure, but also probably running your programs :eek:. And if VPC is anything like the classic emulator built into OSX then you're going to have similar problems i.e. accessing hardware connected to the Powerbook :), which would be applicable for all programs running on the emulator. Including your own.

6. wide macrumors 6502a

Try waiting until VPC 7, if it is ever released:(

7. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i will be programming in c sharp alot so if its going to be really slow am i better of just getting a windows laptop???

or maybe go fo a dual g5???

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I object! :eek:

I've played Final Fantasy VII in it, worked surprisingly well. Having said that, I run under OS 9, which is much faster than OS X, and I think I have the fastest OS 9 Mac.

9. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Are you planning on using visual studio to code c# in VPC? It will be very very very very sloooowwwww. I've tried it with little success. Maybe it will be better on your powerbook. I used it on my 1ghz powerbook. I eventually just installed visual studio on a spare pc here at work and used the MS remote desktop client on my mac to connect to the pc remotely and run VS.net. Worked much better.

I do very little c# work, so for me this was a good solution.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yea, the thing is I was running it under OS 10, and my computer only has 256 MB of RAM, so the RAM set on VPC was the max: 160 MB.

AL-FAMOUS, it makes a HUGE difference what OS you use in VPC, I would ONLY recomend Win 2000, and DOS. ;)

11. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

soshould i pass up this oppertunity to get a powerbook and get a pc machine instead

12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

NO NO NO!!!!

Get the PowerBook to do work and such, if you want to game, get an xBox, PS2, Gamecube, or build your own $500 computer.

The thing about VPC is that it is only usefuel for checking email in Out look, or browsing the internet, anything more demanding that, VPC suck...Although I do use it to try out Linux distros before I install them on my other PC...

13. brap macrumors 68000

Nah.
    I've used VC++6 and .net, they're slow but very much passable under VPC6. I was using a G4 800 iBook, so 1.33 should be decent. Visio also works well, and that's a hungry mother.

Definitely go for Windows 2000, though. XP is out of the question. Max out the RAM on your Powerbook and disable virtual memory under the guest OS, and you'll be just fine.

14. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

No - what he meant was this: There are different versions of VPC. You can buy the version that comes bundled with XP, 2000 or DOS installed. If you buy the DOS version, you'll have to install a version of Windows yourself.

Get the PB - you wont regret it.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

PS - You might want to wait for VPC 7. It should come out soon......... :(

15. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

thanks for eveyones imput....
    i will be programming loads on this, i cant pass up this oppertunity for a 1.5 powerbook, but if im going to be programming alot then is it a sensible choice

16. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Listen up, since it seems you just ignored everything i said about the .NET problem i wouldnt normally bother repeating myself :mad: but as a developer and programmer you should be aware that Windows is never going to be as good a platfrom for programming as *nix based OS's - or anything else for that matter.

Just how good is OSX for developers?

http://developer.apple.com/macosx/

Your obviously not a MS nut so you should check out Mono, in any case you shouldn't have to worry about any problems resulting from C# under OSX since if VPC isnt up for the task Mono is! And IMO anyone serious about programming needs to look further than Windows, and .NET beond Windows is Mono :rolleyes:

Get a PowerBook, if you get stuck with a PC and Windows you'll probably end up regreting it since there is so much in this field that you'll never come to grips with if you do - i nearly made this mistake.

Mark.

17. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

mark i really am thankfull for this info... (im defo not a ms nut but have to start in c sharp) sorry i got you a little annoyed... help greatfully recieved...

im going to get a powebook 15inch 1.5 with upgraded graphics card and hardrive and 512 in one stick....

the reason i ask all this is bbecause iim just about to imbbark on a mcp in c sharp and the system specs say just windows so i just wanted to be sure

18. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

I would like to put a second vote in for mono, it can even be installed via fink :). http://fink.sourceforge.net/ .

The cool thing about mono is, if you write a 100% .net app, and complie it on say a linux box, or win 2000, or OS X, it will run on any of the others (as long a the .net vm is installed on the OS X or linux box)

19. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Thats not a problem, sorry i over reacted. Just didnt want to see you make a mistake that i could have helped avoid :).

csu, glad to find somone else who is using mono with OSX. How do you find it? No unexpected errors or anything?

Later guys,

Mark.