So apart from being thin...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fluidedge, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

fluidedge

what else does the MBAir have to offer?

Underpowered, overpriced.

But it is thin.

How many people have been complaining that their MB/MBP was too thick - "man, this 1" MB is way too heavy for me, i wish i had something thinner/lighter" - i've not seen that mentioned once on these forums.

Apple obviously don't go into new products on a whim, they would have done research and asked the question - "who thinks the MB is too thick/heavy" - how many people would seriously have put their hand up??

This is a strange product to me. I can see this being popular with people constantly moving around - students - shame it doesn't have a student price tag.

The MB Air just strikes me as being made for the sake of it. Apple said, we're gonna build the thinnest notebook in the world, not becuase there is a need for it, but because we can.

Waste of time/resources. This was a project in seeing how far they could push something.

Remind you of anything? - the Newton, the Cube. You can add the MacBook Air to the list of Apple flops as far as i am concerned.

2. macrumors newbie

I agree completely the macbook air has only one advantage over the macbook.... it is thinner. To me this is hardly enough of an advantage to outweigh all the disadvantages that come with owning it over a macbook.

3. macrumors 6502

I know many people who love OS X but were forced into Windows evilness via the need for something more portable than a MacBook. This is for them. I expect it will do pretty well.

4. macrumors 68020

It's got that retro appeal. Like if you wanted to see what processors were like two years ago, while having the newest thing to come out of Macworld. :D Seriously speaking, though, the only real advantage is the portability. If you can bear the extra ounces, a Macbook is a much better deal.

5. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

Do you even understand why apple released this product. It is a secondary notebook for people who already own another computer. Yes, it would be stupid to buy it if it would be your only computer. Some people just want a super light weight, super portable notebook that they can take everywhere with them. Of course it has little processing power. It's made to be used on the go. It is a very specific computer for a very specific share of the notebook market. Some people were looking for something just like this from apple and they got it.

6. macrumors member

....not really....i'm a student, and even if I had the 2000 to spare I probably wouldnt go for it....

now im not too computer saavy...but I know that when "new" things like this come out for the first time they usually have a lot of kinks and bugs that need to be worked out...id also be afraid of snapping it in half or something:p

it does look fabulous though.....

As shallow as this may sound.....this is ONE of the reasons I love being a mac user....only Apple would come up with something as fabulous as this! :D (note there are many many many many other reasons :) )

7. macrumors 6502a

Well I don't know if it will be a flop...I guess I hope it is successful, and with Apple's fortunes and publicity/marketing it's probably gonna be a hit. I'm more interested in seeing what Apple will do with this notebook in the future and how it will be improved specs-wise as well as seeing how the other notebooks develop over time. I am certainly not opposed to making things thinner and lighter, but I hope this obsession of Steve's doesn't start crippling the other lines.

8. Retired

psychofreak

Don't forget the backlit keyboard and multi-touch gestures...

9. macrumors newbie

The very fact that a company would think that i would buy something on looks over function makes me never want to buy another product from them again. I have no problem with something looking good if it works well too, so many of apples recent products don't however, which is what makes me unhappy.

10. macrumors 6502a

mick4394

The problem is, this isn't really much more portable than the Macbook. True, it's thin and light, but it actually has a larger footprint than a Macbook.

An eighteen hundred dollar secondary notebook, huh?

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Yeh it's called a macbook.

The macbook weighs: 5lb

The macbook Air weighs: 3lb

Really if you can't stand carrying the equivalent of an extra bag of sugar i feel sorry for you.

I don't think Apple do 'very specific share' - they're big, they're brash - "this is the best thing ever" attitude.

12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

EXACTLY.

I have a quad core MacPro with 8GB memory as my main desktop work machine, but I always like to have a laptop to do odd tasks away from home/work and to do a lot of surfing, keeping track of emails etc.

I rarely use the superdrive in my laptop as it stands

However I do like the LED screens and have always loved the backlit keyboards in the Powerbook and MacBook pro's.

For me the Macbook Air offers me a laptop thats ultra light, does everything i need it to do and gives me the extended mobility when I leave my desktop.

I already have a SR MBP but will get the air and sell the MBP to a relative.

Edit... Oh and not to mention that the MBA is far sexier and aesthetically pleasing than the the macbook. That may be superficial for you, but for me it's important. I like my aluminum machines.

The macbook is a good entry level laptop that suits a lot of people down to the ground
    The macbook pro is a good step up from the macbook, offering a lot of key advantages
    The macbook air - provides people with an already good desktop with a solid ultra-portable, with a lot of the advantages of the macbook pro line both in aesthetics and function.

There is a clear division for people who want to choose a laptop to buy.

If I can respect your choice to buy a macbook, why on earth do you need to moan and whine over the macbook air. Just because it's not for you - doesn't mean it is any less valid a computer.

If it's out of your price range, then it probably was never geared towards you in the first place.

13. macrumors 68020

For the price of a new MBA, you could buy *two* refurbished Macbooks, and use one as an outdoors machine (taking it to classes, on airplanes, to the beach), and one as an indoors machine. And they'd both have better stats than the MBA. This one's a no-brainer, folks. Save the money, and get the Macbook.

14. macrumors member

right, but it may be functional for certain people. Someone who needs a computer for web surfing, music and email ONLY (and has the money for it) will think the macbook air is a great buy...right? They can just slip it in their tote and off they go.....me on the otherhand not so much.....but thats just me....doesnt mean I wouldnt buy from apple...just means i wont buy that ;)

as far as their other recent products....i cant say much about....my mb seems functional....for my needs atleast

15. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

*sigh* I see you still don't quite understand. Apple does do a very specific share. They just did. Why else would apple make a notebook that has so little cable jacks and other things. They didn't include firewire, ethernet, more than 1 USB, and all those other things because it's made to travel. Not to be set down on a desk, have ethernet, external hd, moniter, keyboard, and mouse connected to it. Like I said. It's very usefull if you want to leave your big notebook at home and just take something small with you.

16. macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I'm all about making computers for travel. But this machine still doesn't fit that bill. It's footprint is too large.

When I think of sized for travel, I think Eee PC size. Small enough for my wife to shove in her purse. Not book-bag size.

17. macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

definitely agree that it is meant to be used by people who already have a "base station" so to speak. A desktop setup as their main

18. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

I like your term... "base station" I'm going to use that...

19. macrumors member

You are correct. A lot of people seem to be missing the point of this thing. I just ordered one because it is a great fit for me. It is a highly portable, capable-enough addition to my Mac Pro. I have a machine with a ton of performance and a 30" ACD at home for the heavy work, and I like having something slim and light for basic stuff on the road. Email, web, iTunes music, TV and films and light image editing, camera companion etc...

As a primary computer it misses the mark but Apple already has MBs and MBPs for that. What a lot of people seem to have wanted (a much cheaper version of this or a much more powerful version of this) would have competed directly with what Apple already offers and would have cannibalized sales. This plugs a nice gap in the product line. The secondary notebook for people who travel and can afford it. With a .mac account and the syncing and "back to my mac" functionality offered, this allows you to have a mini version of your home computer and access to all your files on the road. All in 3 lbs! For a frequent traveller like me that's a lot better than that half-assed solution of a MBP that is too slow and too limited in storage and screen size for what I want to do at home and too heavy to lug around on trips. And I don't mind spending for two computers, it's not a big cost for me.

Some of you are complaining that it is targeting too small of a market niche. Wellm this is the third notebook line they are launching, it stands to reason that it will appeal to fewer people than the first and second product lines. If it didn't Apple and SJ would have seriously miscalculated years ago.

Now, I don't think it is perfect. I would have gladly paid a bit more to have EVDO built in. For a device so obviously targeted at the frequent traveller, that's a pretty serious omission, but all the crap about slow processors and comparisons to the regular macbooks miss the mark. I would never buy a macbook, but I'm happy to pay for this. And that means Apple has shifted at least one more customer without cannibalizing an existing sale. And by the way, most of the people who will buy this aren't on these boards. But we do exist.

20. macrumors newbie

Well I'm glad that you have so much money burning a hole in your pocket that you no longer care about value

To use the car comparison, this is like paying 90 grand for a 2 door economy car, that has a 110 hp engine, no ac, no power accessories, plastic hub caps, 13 inch wheels, a 4 speed manual with no over drive, and cheap cloth seats.

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

you two are being *incredibly* patronising and quite frankly rude.

i/we can see what apple are trying to do, I'm saying they've failed.

If you want travel/portable you can pick up a 12" powerbook/ibook (i know it's soooooo 3 years ago, but it is smaller than the MBA still.) Or pick up an Asus. Which Apple could have designed, 8" screen, 16GB solid state, all that crap.

I'm putting forward the view that Apple have dropped the ball/missed the boat with this one. If they wanted portability they could have made an Asus clone, say they made it 10 inches. I know SJ says companies comprimise on screen size etc but do you wonder why *every* other 'portable' laptop is sized around 10"?? Because it works.

22. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

No there's plenty of us here that will buy it , it's just we generally avoid the 'i'm having a big whine at apple' threads.
    :)

23. macrumors 6502

CJRhoades

Except we're talking about computers not cars. There is a lot of new technology in this notebook that nobody else has yet. It costs money to develop a notebook that is so thin and yet still has enough processing power and hd space to get you by. Therefore, it is more expensive. As the technology becomes cheeper, so will the notebook. Just give it time. I'm sure apple will drop the prices in 2-3 years. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Other people will.

24. macrumors G4

When first announced I was ready to get out my credit card, but now I'm holding out until I actually play with one. It'll be to replace an aging PB12" that I take to my clients. All my media stuff goes on the iMac, so a 1.6GHz Air would be plenty fast for what I need.

However, there's a couple of things that do concern me about the Air. The sealed nature of the unit means that 2GB RAM is all you'll ever get. The battery can't be replaced. I also worry that neither the the SSD drive nor the HD just aren't big enough for a modern laptop, and I would have liked a FireWire port.

The annoying thing is that my PB12" (a rev A 867MHz model) is slowly dying, which screen backlight issues and all sorts of nasty noises coming out of the hard disk. So I have to buy something soon, which will force the issue quite quickly.

25. macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Few, for a minute I thought I was the only one here not growing $$ in his garden!