Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug1tx

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
Footprint

I so rarely chime in on such threads but it's been a long week of waiting for my MBA so I'm just bored :)

I'm trying so hard to come up with a solution for the "footprint camp"...

I'm thinking since it's all about the footprint then perhaps Apple could produce a Mac Mini with a built in monitor & keyboard on the top, similar to an iPhone. I know typing would be a chore but it would keep the footprint down.

A second thought is to buy an iMac and one of those really nice carrying cases that are available for travel. I know it's a little heavy but this would address those who need more power and the iMac only has a footprint of about 6x8 inches, smaller that most ultra-portables I've seen.

Ok seriously, as if anyone cares what my opinion is...I think the Air is a great first attempt on Apple's part to change the way mobile users think. I agree with many who have stated that the Air will be a secondary computer for them. For years I have used a 17" PB or MBP for my work. In recent months I have spent more and more time working in my home office on a G5 or MP and the 17" has gotten less & less use. Had the Air not come out when it did I would likely have purchased a MB simply due to size & weight. I'm tired of carrying a 15+ pound bag with me all day when I rarely even pull it out any more. I'd much rather carry a 5 pound bag and have something that'll work for what I need when I need it.

As for power, storage, etc...I work in IT and aside from those of us in forums such as this you'd be surprised how many people are still getting their work done on >1GHz machines with 256MB or 512MB of ram & 20GB hard drives. How on earth do they do it??? :)

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
thats exactly what the air is in my opinion - a concept design, that would normally not be released, but apple said, hey what the heck - lets get it out there and see what people think.

They want to gage the reaction to:

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

they could then look at the feedback from this one and incorporate it into future products.

It's also a message by apple to the industry (sony) saying - look what we can do, look how far ahead we can go if we want to. We've got the cash to waste on products like this, just imagine what we'll do when we put our minds to it!

I don't expect the MBA to be around for too long actually - not becuase it'll be a failure, but because it is more of a test product that will be quickly superceeded once apple feel like updating the whole concept of laptop computing.

my $0.02 anyway

bearwise

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2004
I am definitely not a flamer. What I am is upset. When the product was first introduced I expressed my opinion that I didn't like it, and I thought it was a bad design. I did this to spark conversation and discussion. What I got was a cult like response by many members of this forum because I have gone against the all mighty Steve Jobs and Apple Computer.

What I have found is that if you do not like something apple produces you get flamed by people for expressing an opinion. That is just plain wrong and stupid.

Its amazing how cultish Apple users have become in recent years. I have used Apple products my entire adult life. I have even made quite a bit of money in Apple Stock. I love the company and think Steve Jobs is a great innovator. When someone thinks one of their products is not that great they get attacked by the Apple zombies ....

Its a shame.

Not a flamer??? The air meets my needs and not yours, that makes you a sage and me a zombie? You say you are stating your opinion to spark conversation then slam anyone who disagrees with you. SOUnds like a flamer to me

pesc

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2006
thats exactly what the air is in my opinion - a concept design, that would normally not be released, but apple said, hey what the heck - lets get it out there and see what people think.

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

- snip -

I don't expect the MBA to be around for too long actually - not becuase it'll be a failure, but because it is more of a test product that will be quickly superceeded once apple feel like updating the whole concept of laptop computing.

my $0.02 anyway

I fully agree. The MBA is a fresh start where everything is cut back to a minimum (except footprint, grumble, grumble).

Now when MBA hits reality it is possible to study what the real problems are (if any). And try to invent novel techniques for solving those problems, such as the remote optical drive. And I'm sure the MBA will spur other inventions. More wireless stuff instead of USB perhaps?

The MBA is a little too much bleeding edge for me right now, but in two years it might have developed into the perfect machine.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

they could then look at the feedback from this one and incorporate it into future products.

It's also a message by apple to the industry (sony) saying - look what we can do, look how far ahead we can go if we want to. We've got the cash to waste on products like this, just imagine what we'll do when we put our minds to it!

my $0.02 anyway

No company in their right mind would just throw something out there on a whim to see if it succeeds or fails. I disagree with pretty much every point you have made so far, but this post takes the biscuit!

The MBA will be around for a long time in my opinion. It was the No1 selling product yesterday (have not checked today), with the MB at No3. The interest in this machine is huge.

Just about everybody I have spoken to today will be having a look at this machine once Regent Street has them on display. Thats Mac users AND PC users.

Obviously, Apple will filter new technologies down/up the product line. Thats to be expected of any company worth its salt...

Regards,

C

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
i think apple are looking closely at how people cope without CD drives too - that could set a precedent for future (5-7 years) laptops.

with pen drives getting as big as they are, i wouldn't be surprised to start seeing movies and software released on a 2GB/4GB stick (should give good quality) in a few years.

That only leaves disks being used for backup/storage which as files get bigger becomes less of an issue as we all use stick drives now.

That maybe why apple is not bothering with the blu-ray thing, as they know that in 10 years it'll all be forgotten and we'll be worrying about which codec to use rather than what media.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
It was the No1 selling product yesterday (have not checked today), with the MB at No3.

you actually think those 'rankings' are true? lol!

apple's biggest seller online is certianly NOT the MBA, i will stake a very large wager on that.

Apple shift more ipods in a day than they'll move MBAs in a month.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
Apple shift more ipods in a day than they'll move MBAs in a month.

I won't enter into a conspiracy debate with you, but I think Apple are selling a boatload of these things... ALLOT of people have been holding out for an ultra-portable Mac.

It is down as the No1 seller again today under Mac sales ;)

C

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
Sony already produced a pretty similar computer in terms of thinness about 4 years ago. It seems to me that Sony may have already been there and done that. SSD drives in ultraportables have been around for a little while now. The majority of these notebooks are also pretty thin and some are lighter than the MBA but they also offer more in functionality as well.

I will be interested to see the future revisions of the MBA if it does survive.

i) ultra thin
ii) ultra light
iii) SSD drives
iv) design

my $0.02 anyway

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
i think apple are looking closely at how people cope without CD drives too - that could set a precedent for future (5-7 years) laptops.

with pen drives getting as big as they are, i wouldn't be surprised to start seeing movies and software released on a 2GB/4GB stick (should give good quality) in a few years.

That only leaves disks being used for backup/storage which as files get bigger becomes less of an issue as we all use stick drives now.

That maybe why apple is not bothering with the blu-ray thing, as they know that in 10 years it'll all be forgotten and we'll be worrying about which codec to use rather than what media.

Although I agree with some of your points here, I think you need to realize that 10 years is a huge time frame in computing.

The DVD will go the way of the Floppy, I think thats a given; the question is how long it will take?

Regards,

C

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Sony already produced a pretty similar computer in terms of thinness about 4 years ago. It seems to me that Sony may have already been there and done that. SSD drives in ultraportables have been around for a little while now. The majority of these notebooks are also pretty thin and some are lighter than the MBA but they also offer more in functionality as well.

I will be interested to see the future revisions of the MBA if it does survive.

I can think of another four-letter-word that starts with "S" and is synomous with Sony............. :)

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
This issue has been beaten into the ground, stomped on, buried and then dug up and beaten more.

Lets think of something new to talk about rather than why You/Them/Those People/Someone I know... won't get a MacBook Air, and why people who get the must be too rich.

bearwise

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2004

oh my gosh, we agree on something! I think you are right, that disks are on the way out and flash drives on the way in. By the end of 2008 64gb SSD's will be less that $200, with much larger capacities available. We are aleady seeing $100 16gb flash drives, soon 32gb will be at that price point

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
You're talking to someone who thinks that everything sony makes is crap.

Hmmmm, i think the entire broadcast media community might disagree with you there.

It has to be said, a lot (most?) of Sony's business comes from very high valued products you've probably never heard of, or wouldn't have the first idea how to even switch on, let alone use them, if you saw them.

Sony make incredibly high quality products, just perhaps not the products you use.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
The footprint is barely any larger than the MacBook's. I don't think you're going to notice the extra .01" on all four sides in daily usage. The footprint argument is really being overblown.

As for Sony, their products aren't exactly of the highest quality. They were, but they've declined. Their Vaio lineup is far from being the best in class, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.