Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
As long as there is choice, I would think 4" would be the max screen size I'd want in a phone. Therefore, I think in that respect they got it right.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
See here:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-confirmed-by-samsung-chief-for-october-11

I predicted a flood of 4" phones now. Hopefully they realise too big is not what people want.

How do you work that one out? Just because YOU dont want a bigger screen, dosent mean its not what everyone else wants - otherwise explain the success of the Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note and Galaxy Note 2?

Apparently 4" was too big not that long ago, then Apple said its ok and now everyone loves the 4" screen!

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Galaxy S3 Mini Launches tomorrow in Germany!

4-inch-s3.jpg

The smaller version of the S3 will be released tomorrow in Germany. Samsung says that although it'll be smaller, it won't have sawn-off specs. Full details are yet to be confirmed, but it's understood the 4-inch phone will be called the S3 mini.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-4-inch-version-to-challenge-iphone-50009434/

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wow that is very cool. I do love the SGS3 but it is so large. This is probably perfect.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
So by "won't have sawn off specs" they mean "WILL have sawn off specs"??

800x480
1GHz unknown (not Exynos) processor
5MP camera

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/10/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-mini/

It's €399 which converts to ~A$500 or a little more than iPhone 4 money.

So it's a cheap Galaxy, not a mini Galaxy S III.

At first, I was excited...then I was disappointed. I think that Samsung is truly trying to mimic Apple...even down to the hype not living up to reality.

GL

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Was really excited to read this "Samsung says that although it'll be smaller, it won't have sawn-off specs", and then I read the specs. :(

See I if this had actually had the specs of the GSS3 (ok maybe slightly smaller resolution screen granted) I would have sold my One X in a heartbeat and snapped one of these up straight away, without hesitation.

But at moment doing so would be a major step down. :(

Disappointed, as a 4" flagship android would suit me so much better and addressed most of my issues with using my android handset, , so for me this isn't so much flagship now as 'sadship' :( :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sadly the 4" SGS3 Mini is contrary to Samsung's assertions, cut down a heck of a lot in specs. :( (no quad core, no HD screen, reduced camera to 5mp etc..) otherwise for me it would have replaced my 4.7" One X, which I find a little too wieldy for me personally.

There is no right and wrong for screen size, its all subjective and is what the consumer feels comfortable with. Samsung just realise there was a gap for a 4" flagship model (much like how HTC had the One X & One S) I just wish that they hadn't slashed the specs alongside the screen size. :( That is there only mistake as far as I'm concerned as I would have dropped the € straight away on a 4" SGS3.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I predicted people would think Apple was a trend setter with a 4" screen.

Firstly there have alway been 4" Android devices. LG Lucid, Motorola Droid 4, Pantech Breakout, Sony Xperia Play and even (drum roll), Samsung Stratosphere. So how exactly can there be a flood of 4" screen phones on a market that's already flooded with them?

Secondly, People want small phones, not small screens. Take the Razr M for example. It's similar in size to the iPhone 4/4S however it has a 4.3" screen. Why couldn't apple do this? Instead they make the phone bigger and the screen only slightly bigger.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Just a 4in screen with no HD?

iPhone 5 kills it then. Ive got the GS3. There is no way I would accept a 4in android phone with no HD display. Id rather look at boring iOS on the iPhone 5 or 4s.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I agree with the above that people want smaller phones rather than smaller screens. I have posted this elsewhere but the iPhone 5 is not a great deal smaller than a SGS3.

Iphone 5 on top of a SGS3.

DSC00148.jpg

But the screen size difference is startling.

DSC00168.jpg

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I predict. "Omgz S3 mini is TOO small to use with one hand!" Since its overall dimension will likely be less then the iPhone 5.

Get over it people! Samsung has been making 4" screen phones for OVER 2 YEARS with the Galaxy S (June 2010).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You know that Samsung have had different screen sizes since the beginnning, that it has nothing to do with the iPhone.

Samesung?

It's crazy isn't it? The 5 has so much going for it but people will try to find more even if its totally off the wall stuff.

The next phone that is as thin or thinner then the 5 will be labeled as a "copy cat". Never mind there were phones thinner then previous iPhone versions. Saying the iPhone copied thinner phones does not compute, but vice versa and its a wannabe.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes however this is not a Galaxy Ace or another basic Samsung phone, it is their flagship device

When those phones were released years ago they were flagship devices. Not sure about the Ace but the S was.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I agree with the above that people want smaller phones rather than smaller screens. I have posted this elsewhere but the iPhone 5 is not a great deal smaller than a SGS3.

Iphone 5 on top of a SGS3.

But the screen size difference is startling.

You picked my post to demonstrate your theorem ;) !! yay

Here are same shots but with my One X & iPhone 5 for size comparison

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo copy.jpg

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This is basically a Galaxy S Advance in disguise to fool customers into buying a low-end phone thinking they get a miniaturized version of their flagship.

It also helps with media attention to call it Galaxy S III mini. See how we're discussing about this but not the Galaxy S Advance just because it's (rightfully) associated with the 2 year old Galaxy S line.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Yes however this is not a Galaxy Ace or another basic Samsung phone, it is their flagship device

The Galaxy 3 Mini flagship device?

Whit its specs it is a low-mid range device
This is basically a Galaxy S Advance in disguise to fool customers into buying a low-end phone thinking they get a miniaturized version of their flagship.

It also helps with media attention to call it Galaxy S III mini. See how we're discussing about this but not the Galaxy S Advance just because it's (rightfully) associated with the 2 year old Galaxy S line.

Exactly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.