Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does the magnetic flap appear to be hindering your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Well, I read hundreds of posts about user's new iPhone cases last night, and a couple of people assert that some cases with magnetic flaps toasted their new iPhones, forcing them to return them. While this anecdotal info is concerning, now that many of you are now actually using iPhones and acquiring cases, I'd like to hear about first-hand experiences with cases having magnetic flaps.

I've used a case with a magnetic flap for years on my Motorola e815 with no negative effects. Of course, it's much thicker than the iPhone, but still, I've found I prefer the magnetic closure, since it ALWAYS works, even when I'm in a hurry and forget about it.

If magnetic flaps are a REAL issue with the new iPhones, I'd like to determine that quickly, since I'll be activating my iPhone next month (when my Verizon contract expires), and already have such a case (from Prima) on the way.

So, if you have a new case with a magnetic flap you're using for your iPhone, are you having any weird issues, or is everything normal?

Thanks for listening...

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Yes, so far.

I use one on my 5.5G video ipod and it is the best case for me thus far... I invested a small fortune in ipod cases by the way... anyway... no issues to date. I do try to keep it away from actually touching mem cards...

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Sorry for the confusion. My thread title conflicted with the poll question, so I changed the thread title. YES means you're having problems using a case with a magnetic flap, and NO means the magnetic flaps are having no noticeable effect on your iPhones.

horation

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
I have wondered this myself. Strong magnets in close proximity to computers tend to cause data losses and system crashes (magnetism wipes out electronically stored data). I have been curious as to whether or not magnetically attached cases would have a similar effect on my iPhone, or whether the magnets are too weak to have any real effect.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I've been running this question on several forums and a clear consensus is building. While there is some anecdotal evidence that some people are having issues with their iPhones who are also using magnetic flap cases, a substantial majority are having no issues (~75% overall).

One person was using a PDA Q case and having the problem. Another reported a similar problem and had Apple replace her iPhone, and the replacement worked fine with her new case, so, I think what we're really seeing is some defective units.

I should note that if anyone's iPhone is getting overly hot, they should take it in to an Apple store to be checked out, because it appears there may be an issue with the new Lithium Ion Polymer battery overheating and damaging some iPhone's electronics.

Basically, at this point I'm willing to give my new iPhone case a try when I activate the iPhone in August (Verizon contract expires).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.