So are the new video iPods 5G?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bryantm3, Oct 14, 2005.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2003
    or are they still 4G?
    i think they should still be 4G because the major changes that they made were on the inside, and a generation change usually means a new physical change.
    added a cover to the firewire plug
    used touch wheel instead of scroll wheel
    used dock connector instead of plug
    changed button positions and became all heat sensored
    changed button positions again, and moved back towards mechanical.
    changed the menu and in the second reincarnation of 4g, used colour screen.
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Nah, they're 5G. Redesigned form factor and layout, plus video capability. The iPod Photos are 4G+ (same form factor, just added color screen and photo capability).
  3. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    Decreasing the size isn't a physical change?
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    It was a major physical change. Its thinner, the thing next to the headphone jack was removed, the screen is larger crisper and brighter, and the scroll wheel is about half the size as what it was before.

The general layout is about the same but has been since the first gen if you want to get technical.
  5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Also, something big.

The nano does this, so I assume the iPod 5G does this also. For the first time on a full sized iPod...

The Clickwheel/Scrollwheel/Navigation is designed by Apple!

On the 4G and mini, the clickwheel was designed by a third party. But on the nano and 5G, Apple designed it. And, comparing the mini to the nano, the Nano's clickwheel is better than the minis... so, Apple did a better job. (or maybe just because its smaller its easier to control, or IMO anyway...)

New design (thinner)
    New click wheel
    New features
    bigger screen
    Looks different than 1,2,3, and 4G iPods
    Different hardware support
    Different HD space
    Different battery life

This is definitely a new generation.
  6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Any word on an iPod software update yet?

I'd imagine they probably won't release one until the iPod starts shipping next week. I'd like to see some feature updates to them all, full podcast support in the 3G - not like we have now but the same as the 4G, audiobook speed selection in the 3G, World Clock, Screen Lock and Stopwatch to be added to the 4G colour iPods.

Has anybody noticed that the contacts in the new iPod show images of the person? I've been wanting that for ages, I have a 3G so it may have been in the colour screen 4G's for ages and I haven't noticed. Very cool though.
  7. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't know if this has been figured out yet, but I'd like to know if the new iPods support the playlist folders that showed up in iTunes 5. I really like having the folders but it is a real inconvenience not having then on my 3G iPod.

Gapless playback would also be nice, but that isn't mentioned anywhere either. I'll probably have to wait until next week to visit an Apple Store and see for myself.

And by the way, the new iPods are definitely 5th Generation. They have a new form factor, new accessories, and new software and hardware features. As far as compatibility there is a difference between 4G and these new ones, so from a manufacturing standpoint, there is a need to make new "5G" compatible products.