SO are we getting a two button mouse or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by TyleRomeo, May 1, 2002.

1. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

I know there have been rumors of Apple releasing a two button mouse for some time but when is it actually going to happen. I mean OSX has built in support for a two button mouse but Apple has yet to offer one themselves. Hopefully when we hear what's happening with OSX.2 Apple will mention a new mouse and release it by MWNY.

2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

I doubt a two button mouse...but maybe a scroll wheel on it or on a new version of the pro keyboard. I am more interested in bluetooth mice and keyboards. I think that's Apple's next step, screw two buttons.

-Pete

3. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

2 buttons would indeed facilitate a lot of the ctrl-click hastle.
    I hope to see a Bluetooth keyboard and 2 button-ed mouse
    Perhaps WWDC, would be a great show off for Bluetooth and how the keyboard and mouse handles that.
    Come on WWDC!!!

4. Bradcoe macrumors regular

Twobutton/scroll

I have a feeling we'll see an apple branded, two-button scroll wheel mouse soon. It might be a new pro mouse, w/a consumer being one-button or marketed in some weird "apple" style like that. I woudn't be surprised if apple even made it with the scroll wheel as the right click button or something. They want it as simple as can be, but one button just doesn't cut it anymore. Apple won't scrap the one-button, but they'll probably add another mouse with some new configuration.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Don't you guys thing MWNY would be ideal to introduce this new mouse? After all, we're expecting great things outta there, so if Jobs thinks he's gonna get away with not introducing the G5, he'd better try to wow us with plenty of other stuff... :)

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I going to go with Heminway I think if they do a 2 button mouse it will be at MWNY. If they dont have a scroll wheel that will be a BAD mistake.

7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I see Apple abandoning the 1 button now. People (like us) who need those extra buttons will always spend the extra $ on them. This keeps those 3rd parties happy with Apple.

As for the general public, convincing them that "Everything is Easier on a Mac" is more a concern than delivering a right click. When you walk up to an iMac and see it's pristine white keyboard and smooth, white mouse - it completes the image of simplicity and ease.

8. iGav macrumors G3

As I said before, Apple should release a 2 button mouse for you non purists...:p and have it as an optional extra at no extra cost....... so you either order it with a one button, or a two button......

Simple.... problem solved....... ;) :) :D

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I can't imagine Apple going with a no-cost optional 2-button mouse. That would mean that every Mac would be a BTO. Or they would have 2 separate packages. Can you imagine the chaos that would cause CompUSA and other resellers?

The most likely case would be that Apple continues with a one-button mouse and leaves the 2-button mice to the 3rd party guys.

Or, they could come out with a 2-button mouse (with scroll wheel) and price it at $69.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To heck w/waiting for apple... I'm currently enjoying 5 button bliss w/my intellimouse optical on my G4. Scroll wheel, 5 totally customizable<sp?> buttons... Mmmmm

Lethal

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i hope that Apple comes out with a 5 button mouse, or else i'm going to be getting a Microsoft Intellimouse.

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

mice and buttons we push on them

Short term answer: no new mice.

Long term answer: who knows??

"microsoft intelligent" ranks right up there with "military intelligence" and "honest politian."

I can understand the need, and desire, for a three button mouse (left, right, scrolling wheel that doubles as a button), but who the hell needs five??? From m$ to boot???? ICK!!!!

13. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Sometimes you have to go with Microsoft. You don't for mice. Not when there's something better and OS X native... http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/productoverview.cfm/91

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Excellent point... I have a soft spot in my.... well heart in this case, for Logitech. I have never had a bad mouse, or keyboard from them, and they are not trying to get into every aspect of our lives (as m$ is doing, those bastards).

I am thinking about getting one of those mice. I will either use it on the new TiBook (should have it before the end of the week), or I will toss it onto the peecee.

15. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

WTF? I clicked on that link, selected my country and language (Australia, Engilsh) then clicked Next. I got a new page telling me I was being redirected, then I was sent back to this page! What's going on?

Edit: I think I worked it out. Silly me. Bad link.

16. iH8Quark macrumors 6502

OH THE SUSPENSE OF THE 2 BUTTON MOUSE!!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

;)

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: mice and buttons we push on them

Well, I'm fairly pragmatic so I really don't pay attention to branding, and I try to get the best bang for the buck. Maybe when I'm making more money I can afford to exclusively buy one brand over another (even if it doesn't offer the best product...).

3 button w/scroll wheel should be a "basic" mouse now a days. The 5 buttons really do come in handy when using editing or graphix software since they are all totally programmable. So instead of "ctrl+shift+___" or "command+F12" I just "click." Much better than doing keyboard gymnastics, or mousing thru drop down menus. :)

Lethal

18. RowdyFROG macrumors newbie

Hmm. I'm still not convinced that it will happen. Apple's ethos for time immemorium has been to keep design and ergonomics as simple and sleek as possible while still maintaining functionality. When it comes to the crunch, you'd be lucky if 10% of mac users could do things quicker with a multi button mouse.

But if it does happen at, say, MWNY, do you think Steve will hand 'em out to the audience like he did when the pro mouse was launched?

Better get yourself a ticket just in case.

19. Q-bert macrumors member

Who cares?

Good grief people. Just go out and get a 3rd-party mouse already - they're cheap these days, what with USB being the standard and all. Some of them even look good next to your Mac.

With such an incredibly wide selection of multi-button mice out there, who cares whether there's an Apple-branded one or not?

20. iGav macrumors G3

It would be the fairest option as a BTO no charge extra...... they could just supply the keyboard in the computer box, with no mouse, and then when you buy from reseller, you take your choice of a 2 button or the purist 1 button, the pro mouse comes in an ever so sweet little box, so I'm sure it wouldn't be that much of a problem.......

Even though I currently don't want a 2 button mouse, I don't see why people that do should have to pay a premium, it's simply not fair.......

Giving people the choice is the best thing to do!!!;)

21. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

logitech

i just had a look at the Logitech website. it didn't say if the MouseMan® Dual Optical had 5 buttons or only 2 and the scroll wheel. does anyone know about this? it looks like a good mouse, and i especially like that it is 'designed for real hands'. it should work really well with mine!
    i also noticed that it isn't compatible with OS X, although you can download newer drivers, they are only an OS X beta version. i guess they'll release the final OS X software later.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

25 percent of the time at home, i use my pc computer and the two button mouse is something that has its uses

when i first got the pc computer, i hated the two buttons, but now that i am used to it, it is not so bad

it would be nice to see a second button on maybe the pro mac models at first...and if it flies...then for all macs

23. gerror macrumors 6502

I have a logitech mouse since october and I must say: It is soo much better than the round iMacmouse. Too bad Apple didn't gave me one with my iMac but hey, just spent some extra bucks for a good mouse isn't so bad.