So...are your taxes done yet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I get to gloat for once, because usually we wait until late March or early April to file them, and this year we did them early. I've already gotten my federal and state refund checks. (I zeroed out on my city taxes.)

So, with less than two weeks left, where are you on your taxes?

2. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm at school, but last time I checked my parents hadn't filed them yet. Which sucks because I really need the refund I'm going to be getting.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Finished with Turbo Tax online many weeks ago...both refunds (State and Federal) direct-deposited within ten days of filing. Of course, getting a refund sped up my desire to file!

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

all depends if you are getting a refund. If you have to pay I would like to wait until much closer to tax day to file that way I keep the intersted on the money. If I get a refund I like to get file it earily so the goverment get less intersted on the money.

As for taxes I dont have to file this year sicne i have not work in over a year. School is my job and my parents dont want me to have a job.

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I resigned myself to the complexity, so it goes to the taxman. The last three years I "missed" a total of 1,800 bucks in refunds. No, I'm not stupid. It's just to complicated any more with the variety of holdings we have. We had him re-file and we got the money back.

6. Kushiro macrumors member

Question

A bit off topic, but maybe someone can help me out.

I'm prepping my US taxes on income earned in Switzerland, and I'm looking for the 'official' exchange rate to do the currency conversion at (assuming one actually exists--When I lived in Japan I remember the Japanese gov. used to be good about telling me what the 'official' rate was, but I never found it myself). Anyone know where to look for this sort of info?

Thanks!

7. MagnaPalam macrumors newbie

MagnaPalam

These two sites should help you out, the second more than the first
    http://www.ecb.int/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/eurofxref-graph-sek.en.html

the second:
    http://www.x-rates.com/d/SEK/table.html
    as of the time of this posting from that site it says that one USD is worth 7.1093 Swedish Krona's and one Krona is worth 0.140661 USD

back on topic...
    I did my taxes as soon as I got my W-2 in mid January, and reading your posts makes me feel sad as we do not have a state tax here in Texas. So...I only have to file for federal taxes. :D

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ALready filed my Taxes, should get the cheque in about a few days. :D

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

e-filed them yesterday. I gotta say, I'm impressed it took so little time.

BEN

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Using TaxCut 2004 as we speak. I'm just barely getting a refund, which is pretty much what you are supposed to shoot for. If you owe much money, it's tough on the cash flow. If you are getting a big refund, you've been letting the government keep money you might have been earning interest on.

Still trying to decide whether I should rename the dog from "Spot" to "Sam" so the deduction for him as a dependent doesn't look quite so suspicious. OK, I'm kidding. I play it by the book since I'm not sure I'd have 24-hour-a-day MacRumors forum access in prison.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I did the same thing for the first time. What a great way to do your taxes! Getting the refund back fast was great too.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Picked up TurboTax yesterday (been using it since about 1994 or so), doing my taxes tomorrow, probably. Last year I knocked out my Fed and State taxes in about 30 minutes.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Agreed Doctor Q. Although it is fun to get a refund.

I have an attorney that has been figuring my taxes since 1985. Just happen to be skeptical of using a software program.

My taxes were figured and mailed out to me on March 18th. I mailed in my state income tax on March 30th, which I'm receiving a refund. Won't mail my Federal Income tax until closer to April 15th since I owe. After paying to have my taxes figured, it will leave me with a deficit.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Very useful information for Switzerland... :rolleyes:

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep...my return is already in the bank (okay, was already in the bank...it's spent already more or less).

16. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes, it took about 10 days to get the money with e-file :p It's the only way I will use this method to get money back.

17. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm taking the next two days (if necessary) off to do my taxes. Right now I'm waiting for the turbotax updates to download. One of my least favorite chores of the year, but even if I had an accountant do it, I'd want to check their figures, so I might as well do it myself.

:mad:

EDIT: Okay, here's a pet peeve with TurboTax. It downloads, like 7 separate updaters, each of which must be run separately, and pops into the foreground to remind you it's updating. What a pain.

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Filed and got my returns a month ago. :D

Kind of nice after paying through the nose the last two years.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Taxes have been done for 7 weeks, but I owe a gigabutt so will send it friday.

20. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    I completed my forms 2 months ago, but I won't mail in my checks (I had to pay both oklahoma and federal) until today or tomorrow. They aren't getting my money until the last minute.

Edit: Apparently I am in the same boat as stubeeef

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Already got my fed and state refund checks and spent them :D

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

WHAT?

Taxes done? You've got to be kidding me. Thats what tomorrow is for....

Or at very least its good for filling an extension.

23. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife and I have one of Elvis' old tax guys working for us - seriously. The guy has all kinds of Elvis paraphernalia in his office and a mannequin with a jumpsuit Elvis gave to him back-in-the-day. Man does the guy know how to shuffle the books around - all legal of course ;) He finished our taxes awhile ago - should have a nice refund any day now.

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, now I've done enough of the taxes to see that it's going to be a BIG bill. I've had relatively low taxes the last couple years, so I suppose it's time to pay the piper, but STILL... sigh.

25. makisushi macrumors 6502

I just put them in the mail!!!

Being self-employed, I always have to pay, so I at least wait until the last week, so I can earn as much interest on my money as possible.