So close to getting a mini, which is best deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheMonarch, Aug 30, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hello all. I'm on the brink of getting my second mac (Damn! I just bought my PB, and I want more! :D).
    Mac mini, to clarify:
    Out of all 3, which one is the best deal. From the looks of it, it seems that the low end mini isn't a very good deal. But I'm on a really tight budget (I told my family I'd cost no more than ~500-570 plus tax [I'm using my student discount]). I already have a monitor and a mouse, but my KB is, PS2 (I think?... all i know is that it isn't USB). Even though I'd really like to to get an apple KB, it takes me way over my budget.

Should I just buy the low end, and BTO the 80GB HD? But I want to be able to return it if needed (since its going to be a family computer, not just mine). I'm trying to convert my family to mac, but I want them to be able to return it if they don't like it (or else they'd bug me to no end for getting it.).

I'm so lost :confused:
    How "slow" is the mini
    I don't want them to be unimpressed by it...
    They've seen my PB "perform" (1.67, 17") and were very impressed (which is the only reason they're even considering a second mac... They loved the DVD I made for them using some wedding pictures...)

ARRRG!!! So many questions

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Remember that right now they have the 30 day test drive. So you can try out the mini model that you think you want and if you don't like it just return it for a full refund in 30 days and get another model.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Top priority for performance is RAM. If you can boost that do so. A few GHz doesn't seem worth that much to me.

Beyond that, DVD burner, wireless, and bigger HD are your call. Many basic users wouldn't use any of the above. And remember that you can add external HD space any time in future--and probably running faster than the laptop drive in the Mini.

Re the keyboard: they make cheap PS/2 to USB adapters. Just make sure you can take the adapter back to the store: some of those don't work well for some reason. (I got one from RadioShack that behaved oddly when you hold a key down.)

4. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I agree test it out for 30 days and WHEN your family falls in love with it they will spend the extra bit of money for upgrades :D

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

If you're thinking of doing the 30 day thing, you can't do BTO and you have to get a keyboard and a mouse. See this thread

6. Jimmery macrumors member

Not so, as far as I can see. The keyboard and mouse are optional purchases. If you happen to buy them along with your Mac mini, you will be able to return them as well, within 30 days. Here's what Apple says on the promotion page:
    "Choose from three Mac mini models starting at just $499 and an optional Apple keyboard and mouse."
    Buying the keyboard and mouse is optional, so, for the case of the thread-starter, I'd say not to buy them, since they jack the price up so much.

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah, this is a bit unclear here's from the Apple site

So what does the 'and' actually mean? Either or, or you have to buy both? I'd check into it just so you don't get screwed.

8. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Keyboard and mouse are definitely optional, not required for the promo.

It says "and any."

Much like an invitation that says "you and any guests" means you CAN bring guests, not that you HAVE to.

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

First of all, I agree with the previous posters who say you're best off buying a stock model, so that you can have the free 30-day trial.

Now, to get back to your original question of which model...
    If you are TRULY limited to 500-570 + tax, then you have to buy the 1.25GHz model, b/c that is the only one that falls into that range.
    The 1.42GHz model with ComboDrive is $579 + tax - I personally think this model is the best bang-for-your-buck. You get double the HD space as well as a slightly faster processor for the $100 difference. If you can swing that amount, I think that's your best bet.

Good luck!

10. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I really want a second mac, it is still floating in the air, but my parents are seriously considering it...

They were impressed by iDVD... I iDVD brought me this close to a second mac :D