So Dim about SO-DIMM Intel iMac UK Memory?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arcsbite, Jan 14, 2006.

1. arcsbite Guest

Hey, just a quick question.

I have just sold my iMac and am about to purchase an intel iMac, I have only just realised that the memory in my current mac is different and therefore I will not be able to transfer it.

does anyone know where I can get 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 So-Dimm for the intel mac, in the UK?

Apple store want's £210 for 1GB, or £186 with my edu discount, but that's an insane ammount.
    I looked at crucial and the other rec' sites, but after shipping and VAT it's not much cheaper.

any ideas?

Thanks.

P.S. I will be in New York in about a week, if there's no where in the UK, do you know the best/cheapest retailer in the states/NY to pick some up at?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Crucial.

I swear that module was cheaper 2 days ago! I should have ordered then.

Edit: I notice you said you looked at crucial. It's £101 inc Vat. Unfortunately I just tried to buy it and it's out of stock :(

3. arcsbite thread starter Guest

I hadn't realised they had a UK section *facepalm*
    and free shipping too, that's not bad at all :D

thanks!

though...till they are back in stock, my search will go on.

4. arcsbite thread starter Guest

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've used Orca before for memory; they're one of the UK stockists for Kingston.

They've got this DDR2 667 1GB stick for £78 inc VAT. It's not Kingston memory but it has a lifetime warranty so I'd guess it should be OK

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Looks fine, but it's not in stock either! I think the Apple announcements have caused quite a run on these modules :D

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow. Great price. I might well order some of that myself :)

8. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Excellent! and instock too!
    thank you :)

9. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Prices on crucial change all the time. They constantly adjust to supply and demand. I've just noticed a £11 price drop on a 1GB model for my iMac! How tempting :D

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

<sigh>
    Once again, if the vendor does not state that it is compatible with Macintosh, then you're not guaranteed Macintosh compatibility.

Kingston only guarantees one set of modules for the Mac:
    the KTA- series

The Kingston ValueRAM (KVR- series) are their generic RAM. Kingston specifically does not guarantee compatibility on these. Past KVR- RAM has not been compatible with Powerbooks, of course nobody knows (yet) about the iMac Intel or the MacBook.

Orca, although they have a Mac memory configurator, do not list the iMac Intel yet. The Transcend memory in the link may work, but you don't have a compatibility guarantee here either.

Searching the forums here is an excellent idea as well, we have covered this general topic many, many times.

Recommendation: Do business with a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Macintosh, and offers a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

11. arcsbite thread starter Guest

a delayed thank you for your response,
    and for the record, I did search, however with the intel macs being so new I couldn't find any further information on memory for them in here.
    I'm new to MR, not the internet.

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I got my 1GB of ORCA and it got to me fine - although i have not tried it yet (so i cant verify if it works yet) - i would use crucial over them because the deliver much quicker - but as a second option then they seem good.

13. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Interesting - that's cheaper than Crucial but their PowerMac memory is far more expensive. Do they use dynamic pricing as well?

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No idea. I ended up there one day from the Kingston site when I was hunting down the best price for memory for my mother's iBook - and they had it. They were about 20% cheaper than Crucial on that occasion; hence why I just went there.

15. arcsbite thread starter Guest

did anyone try the Orca memory?

my 1GB arrived from them about a week ago, I picked up my intel iMac this afternoon and I can't seem to get it to fit.

it seems the same size as the apple one but I don't want to force it (I'm new to all of this)

just wanted to know if it fits or if I need to try and return it?

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've ordered some but not received it yet (only ordered on Friday). Makes no difference as my MacBook has not even shipped yet!.

You need to use reasonable force to get memory in normally. Also take care that the RAM is the correct way round (it only fits one one, you can tell which as the contacts should have a number of solid sections that are not symmetric). With SO-DIMMS I have found the easiest way to get them in is to hold the RAM at 45 degrees to the slot to line it up then push it in whilst flattening it.

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

First: Exactly what is the spec on the Orca memory -- is it exactly DDR2-667 MHz SODIMM? If it is anything other than that, stop trying to install it.

Second: if it is a DDR2-667 MHz SODIMM module, then look into the slot on the bottom of your iMac -- you will see a longish socket, with a bar (or key) that runs across it.

=============+=====

The key is off-centre and it must match the slot cut into the connector-edge of the RAM module. The module only goes in one way. Do not try to force it if you haven't verified you have it positioned so the key and the slot match.

Third: If you have verified you have it positioned correctly, push the SODIMM into the socket, then use both thumbs on the top edge of the SODIMM to press evenly and firmly, and it should seat the last 1/4 inch into the socket. You may hear two soft 'thunks' as the RAM seats into the socket. The RAM should not remain protruding from the top of the RAM "bay"; the perforated cover should easily fit back on.

If none of this works, then take your machine to an Apple technician to install.

THanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

NO - PLEASE DISREGARD THE THING ABOUT 45 DEGREE.

the iMac intel does not work this way - they are not angled SODIMM sockets. It is a straight push down a guide into the socket

19. arcsbite thread starter Guest

Checked it out (it's the same one recommended in the links above)
    it's the right memory, exactly the same spec as the apple on that's in (only 1GB instead of 512mb)

the thing is, when I line it up (which again all goes perfectly)
    the actual memory seems too long, but i'm talking like 0.000001 mm to long and therefore won't slide straight into the slot, it only goes so far then needs to be jiggled in and starts to get a little wedged.

I wasn't sure if the memory was wrong or if there was just a little residue plastic from where the boards have been cut at the factory, I didn't want to jam it into my new mac and bugger them both.

I have started the machine and am porting over my previous info using the 512mb and am a little worried that this 1GB is useless *le sigh*

20. arcsbite thread starter Guest

the imac is a dead straight socket so I figured the angle thing was a laptop memory thing.
    thanks.

21. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I saw it a week or so ago at £101 when i looked around for my MacBook. That £78 is very tempting, but I will wait until I have my MacBook in my possession and then check out RAM prices then.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Send it back, then. Don't #&$&# around with your new machine if the RAM is poorly manufactured.