So Do You Think That Was the Last iBook Revision?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by finalcoolman, Aug 7, 2005.

1. finalcoolman macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    Just as the title says do you think the just released revision will be the last PowerPC revision of the iBook before it goes Intel or do you think there will be another speedbump before? The thing is even if Apple does stretch this iBook out for 9 months which is really as long as they can stretch it for, we are still only looking at late-April of 2006. Is that really enough time for them to release an Intel iBook considering the fact that there are no Intel products expected until WWDC in June? Although I think that this is the last PPC iBook, I'm not exactly sure Apple will have Intel ready by then and there may be another PPC Speedbump. Just wondering what other peoples opinion is about this.
  2. IndigoQuack macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2005
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    IMHO the current iBook is capable enough to hold out until such times as an Intel version is released. Bearing in mind that the eMac hasn't been updated for what must be over a year now (?), and that they're both aimed at broadly the same type of user, I don't see why it couldn't.

If they ARE looking to make any other pre-Intel updates to tide them over, then I'd have thought that PowerBook would probably be a higher priority.
  3. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    eMac was just updated...i got a feeling the lines will stay like this until the mactels come
  4. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    It took them 9 months to get this small speedbump out and you think they'll manage another one before they go Intel :). Seriously though, I think this is it. I guess it mainly depends on how long till we see something with Intel in it. If the iBook doesn't see the Pentium M till June (or later), then maybe they can get a second speed bump in there.
  5. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    nowhere to go but intel

This last update took 9 months. It was the smallest ibook update ever, with only a 6.8% speed ghz boost. Apple simply has nowhere to go with the G4, especially with the PowerBooks topping out at 1.50 and 1.67 ghz.

I'm betting that PowerBooks will not get another update until MWSF when they release the Intel notebooks. If PBs were getting another update, to say 1.83 or 2.0 ghz G4s, I'm sure Apple would've given the iBooks more of an update. But they know that PowerBooks will languish for another 5 months so they have to hold back the iBooks as well. It sucks but that's the way things are.