So does iOS 7 allow for wifi calling on iPhone now?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Truefan31, Jun 15, 2013.

1. macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

I read article saying ios 7 will bring facetime audio, for audio calls vs. video, sounds similar to the wifi calling feature tmobile phones advertise. I know the iphone 5 now doesn't currently support wifi calling, anyone think the new ios 7 would fix this?

2. macrumors P6

Intell

It can be used to call only other FaceTime devices. Probably only devices that support audio only calls.

3. macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

There are plenty of VoIP apps that let any iPhone back to the original model make calls over wifi.

4. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

oh so what's the feature of wifi calling tmobile advertises then? Is it truly a feature, or are there free apps out there that do the same thing?

5. macrumors newbie

I don't think the iPhone will do wifi calling anytime soon. Tmobile is the only carrier offering the service. Apple would have to code this into the OS. I could be wrong and it will be introduced during the announcement in the fall. Talkatone will allow you to do wifi calling using google voice. I make calls from my iPad using it as I get poor service in the house. Apple could extend FaceTime audio to non FaceTime numbers. That would be the closest to wifi calling without a 3rd party app. For that matter, tmobile could introduce an app for wifi calling.

6. macrumors 603

It only works with other iOS 7 devices.

7. macrumors P6

Intell

Thus the "only devices that support audio only calls." It may also support the Mac OS X FaceTime app if it gets an update. However, looking at how FaceTime works and how the OS X and iOS versions of it get their settings and updates almost dynamically from Apple, it could be enabled on all devices once iOS 7 is released. All Apple needs to do is change a boolean value in the configuration file FaceTime downloads automatically every few days to yes/true and it'd work. The value's name is "AllowAudioOnlyCalls". A boolean value that's been in the FaceTime settings since iOS 4.0.

8. macrumors 603

I wasn't going against you, just adding some clarity for others that were not aware.

I doubt it will go to previous ios's anyway as iOS 6 and before do not have the button that iOS 7 has for audio only FaceTime.

9. macrumors regular

Some phones on T-Mobile have the ability to route your regular call through Wi-Fi while connected. This is especially advantageous in poor signal areas. Plus you don't have to purchase a mobile extender from a provider to rebroadcast a signal.

10. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

So what are some 3rd party apps that do the same as tmobile s feature? Skype, but that requires both parties to have it right? I remember tmobile saying it would be coming soon though

11. macrumors 68000

There are none that are seamless. And TMO never said it was coming. They said they hope to offer it in the future. However, that was just wishful thinking as I don't think anyone believes Apple is going to code a Tmobile specific feature into iOS.

12. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

well that sucks really, the wifi calling feature imho is a great feature, that I know is there on samsung's galaxy note 2/s3-s4, it's not a dealbreaker per say, but it seems like an important feature that could sway people to tmobile, if they were indecisive on coverage/service issues. they already have hd voice, and updating their network are great, this would've been a great addition to a seemingly growing company in tmobile

13. macrumors 68030

haruhiko

Just use Skype.

14. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Truefan31

doesn't the other person need skype as well?

15. macrumors 603

Nope, Skype can call normal numbers, but you have to pay

16. macrumors 68000

What makes T-Mobile's wifi calling feature great is it doesn't require the user to do anything other than be on wifi. It is sort of like iMessage for phone calls except the other user doesn't need to have iMessage. However, I don't see any chance it comes to iOS anytime soon.

17. macrumors P6

Google Voice (and something like Talkatone)?

18. macrumors newbie

Because of my poor tmobile service in the back of my house, I use talkatone on my iPad in the house. Works great.