iPad mini so does the mini scratch like the iphone 5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acorn, Nov 13, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2009
    Havent seen to many scratch threads. Im wondering if the scratch problem is gone or doesnt effect the minis. maybe they are like the ipods and dont scratch? I have a mini but its sealed for a christmas gift so there is no way for me to tell.

I would expect to see threads out the ying yang by now if they scratched easily.
  2. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2011
    Québec City, QC, Canada
    I'm wondering the same thing. Fear of scraping paint on the black version, for example, is one reason I went with the white one. (Coupled with ease of fingerprinting...though the black really is sharper looking...)
  3. macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2006
    Aiken, SC
    Mine hasn't scratched and I don't have a case on it. Then again, my iPhone 5 hasn't scratched either. I'm not super careful with either device.

I'm thinking some people just treat their devices like total crap.
  4. macrumors member

Sep 9, 2009
    Check them out in store - the black ones appear to be prone to scratching on the ones I checked - obvious marks around on/off switch. I've kept my black iphone 5 in a case and with a screen protector from day 1 - have an obvious mark/silver showing through on the bezel, no idea how it happened. No particular gripe, I don't mind, just stating facts
  5. macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had my black mini for a couple of weeks now (first naked, then smart cover) and there are no signs of scratching anywhere.
  6. Guest

No - people just tend to put cases on them, to prevent them from scratching, but it then ironically ends up scratching the ***** out of it when debris gets lodged between the case and the phone.

It's almost like an inbuilt karma feature for trying to hide the beauty of the ip5/ipad mini in the first place :D
  7. thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 2, 2009
    A few posts have popped up about scratching but nothing as bad as I thought they would. I purchased a white one just in case. I think it may scratch less.
  8. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2010
    I had a small nick on my black which was always in a case. It has since gone back for a white.
  9. macrumors G3

Jun 12, 2012
    same, and I toss that thing around now haha
  10. M87
    macrumors 65816

Jul 18, 2009
    My black iPhone 5 is still pristine, no case. But if you buy into the hype that looking at a black iPhone 5 the wrong way will cause the paint to fall off I don't see why you'd feel any less paranoid about the mini.
  11. macrumors regular

Apr 17, 2010
  12. macrumors member

Nov 7, 2012
    Naples, FL
    I wanted the white mini for this reason, but my local best buy didn't get them because of the hurricane on launch day, so I went with a black one.

The case I am using only protects the back and front (tabs hold the device In place) and I haven't gotten any scratches yet.