So, does using AIM count as an SMS or Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod touch Apps' started by D3lta, Jul 10, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

I was looking at the AIM apps description and it says "send and receive messages over WiFi, EDGE, or 3G networks" in the description.

Does that mean that messages count as data and not SMS? Could someone please confirm?

2. macrumors 68000

AIM website:

Note the URL.

Attached Files:

3. macrumors 68000

it is data

niiro13, the OP was asking if the IM send using AIM would count as sms or data, not whether SMS sent using AIM on a mac/pc would count as data or cost money

4. macrumors 68000

Well, first, the URL shows it's the iPhone AIM FAQ.

Secondly, if you read the sentence, it says SMS is part of normal IM which is part of the phone's data plan.

So it counts as data.

5. macrumors 68000

Me1000

It almost looks like all the apps in the store give the SMS warning...

6. macrumors regular

Wait wait wait, let me rephrase this question:

If I have only 500 texts per month, but unlimited data, does using AIM on the iphone take away from my 500 texts or is it seen as data? This would be pretty important to know!

7. macrumors 601

It is NOT SMS. It does NOT count as SMS. It doe NOT send text messages. It counts as DATA. You can sit there and send instant messages ALL DAY LONG because you have unlimited data.

It counts as DATA. There should be no confusion here. It goes over wifi, 3G or EDGE. This is not SMS, it is not text messaging, it is an internet application that uses the data connection, not SMS messaging.

They are two complete and totally separate things.

8. macrumors regular

Ok.. gotcha. I didn't read the agreement that someone posted, just the replies in this thread. And some of them seemed to contradict each other. One person said something about an "sms warning" in the agreement, that's all. Thanks for clarifying that though.

9. macrumors 601

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

WTF

Look at the iTunes page for AIM. It is totally unclear and this makes absolutely no sense. Why would they even mention SMS messages? Why would AIM even need to use SMS messages? WTF does AIM have anything to do with SMS at all? :mad::mad::mad:

Attached Files:

10. macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with AT&T business care and AIM DOES USE SMS! The only thing it does not charge for is the "internet connection" required to get online. So, I am officially out of words and lost :confused: anyone hear anything different? Because it makes no sense for the ipod touch... who is going to charge me for that? IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

11. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I think they are saying that you can SMS someone from AIM possiblely??? The apps on the RAZR, etc count towards your messages so that is the OP's concern with this app.

I think only AT&T or AOL can clear this up. I would send an email to AT&T and ask the question (they would know if they count). That way you have documented proof if they say it doesn't count.

EDIT:

One thought based on the call to AT&T, the reps are probably not smart enough to understand the iPhone may work different the Razr's etc so they may say it counts as SMS.

12. macrumors newbie

it is considered "over the air data". I went up the executive ladder and they said to think about it as when you check your minutes using the txt message. it shows up as a text message, but it does not count against it. she said she was 100% positive and made a note on the account about it just in case seomthing happens. like she put it, "it's all new to us and we're still working out the details".... :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68000

billchase2

if i had a nickel for every time someone asked this question...

14. macrumors 601

Guess I'll have to get unlimited SMS now. :rolleyes:

This is retarded. Now my bill will be $100/mo. :D

15. macrumors 68000

billchase2

i'm testing it out right now. just IMed my phone and am waiting to see if it appears on my online log of texts.

it is interesting that online, they are now called "Text/IM Messaging"

16. macrumors member

The IM SMS's go through AIM's servers as data so I dont know how it would count against your real SMS's you get from ATT. That ATT rep dosent know what there talking about.

17. macrumors member

Yea I asked an ATT tech support person online the other day and she said it counts as both SMS and data....:mad: I really hope she is just clueless like everyone else at att and if it does cost a text...that is the worst thing ever...

18. macrumors member

It says on the App page you can use it with the iPod Touch so it has to do it through data.

19. macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Because you can send SMS text messages via AIM by adding the number +1xxxxxxxxxx (the person's phone number).. which is why the iPod touch will be able to send SMS texts via WiFi. It will be data only.

20. macrumors 68000

billchase2

after 15 minutes: nothing on my at&t data usage site...

21. macrumors newbie

i just asked they told me it would count against my text messages :mad:. still didnt' answered me if i'd use my wireless network if it count against text or data.

22. macrumors 6502

Can someone please get us a straight answer on this? It seems that talking to ATT reps isn't going to get us anywhere.

23. macrumors member

Does not use your SMS messages.

24. macrumors 6502a

I've got it working on a PayG SIM with zero credit.

It does not use SMS.

25. macrumors regular

Awesome. Thanks for confirming this. The more people that can confirm this the better...

Although I would like to say, I wonder why they even mention SMS at all in that promotional ad... Where they say that SMS is not available in all countries... Weird. Because as far as the user is concerned, there is no SMS involved on their end, only the receiving party if it gets sent to a cell phone.