So !*&%$# frustrated w/Tiger!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TootsieToots, Sep 14, 2005.

1. TootsieToots macrumors newbie

Forgive me if I ramble, but I'm so frustrated with Tiger right now...

I'm considering doing the unthinkable -- downgrading my OS from Tiger to Panther (or was it Jaguar -- whatever version came out prior to Tiger, v. 10.3.3). Since installing Tiger on my machine (P-book, G4) I've been absolutely miserable. Prior to installing Tiger, my machine NEVER froze, I NEVER had to force quit programs, and I could run several programs at once without any sort of slowdown. These days, it seems like my backup G1 iMac runs better! So many problems, I'd rather not even get into here. All I know is, my machine (which isn't even a year old, BTW) ran MUCH better before Tiger came into the picture.

I've tried everything -- from uninstalling applications to deleting nearly every widget I had downloaded -- but still no change. I'm very close to just doing a clean install. Has anyone else here dealt with this? Has anyone uninstalled Tiger and gone back to their original OS? If so, did you encounter any problems by doing this?

A friend of mine warned me prior to installation of Tiger that it's really tailored for G5s -- any truth to this?

Feel free to call me an idiot, but if you could help out with any of the above questions, I'd really, REALLY appreciate it.

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

it sounds like you arn't in the luck to be honest.

tiger works a charm on my rev d powerbook.

Before going from 10.4 to 10.3 (you may well be the pioneer of this) consider the things you would loose.

Spotlight
    Dashboard

and everything inbetween such as mighty mouse compatability and all future releases.

Id wait for 10.4.3 to see if your problem is solved before doing the drastic of downgrading.

sorry for your frustrations, i cant get on the apple website at the moment, i didnt do anything to provoke that, so i know how you feel.

3. Bote macrumors regular

Bote

I am fairly new to mac. I got my first about 6 mo ago and had zero issues with Panther. I upgraded to tiger only because I was determined to get my bluetooth phone to sync with my mac. That works awsome now. However I did notice some freeze ups and occasional issues that I did not experience with Panther. I have one of the first mac minis with a G4 and once upgrading to 1gb of ram from 256mb a lot of the issues went away. You may want to try something as simple as that. Good luck :)

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Have you done a Run Repair Permissions? Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

The amount of memory can also make a difference. How much RAM do you have?

5. tye1138 macrumors newbie

I feel your pain...

There is one thing I've learned about Tiger, most older os 10 applications don't work correctly. If your using say an old version of photoshop, ver 7 or something, you are going to run into problems. Same with final cut pro, protools, logic... the list goes on and on.

I highly doubt that memory, permissions problem or hard drive issue are the problem.

Few suggestions for you!

1- Check Physical drive size vs RAM size. Example: if you have 512mb Ram and 2gb of fee space on the hard drive, the computer will probably not work properly. If you have 1gb of Ram and 4gb of hard drive space, you'll be in good standings.
    2- Re install Tiger
    3- Make sure you applications are up to date IE: Tiger ready apps.
    4- If those don't make a difference, you can move on to some sort of OS/hard drive issue IE: Permissions check and hard drive check. Boot off the MAC os 10.4 Tiger disk and run Disk Utility from the disk.

Those are my suggestions...

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Did You Upgrade? or Clean Install?

I also have a G4 PB, and Tiger has been nothing but smooth and delicious since I got it. In fact, the only times I've really ever heard bad things about Tiger is when people UPGRADE to Tiger from Panther.

When installing a new operating system, it is always preferable to do a clean install (erase and install) as opposed to a straight upgrade.

If you have the option, I would say backup everything that's important to you, and reinstall the operating system using the Erase and Install option.

What are the specs of your system? Proc, RAM, etc...