so frustrating....powerbook memory

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by derajfast, Sep 8, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

i just bought 1gb of memory....and i have spent the last hour and a half going around campus, trying to find a screw driver small enough to fit in the smallest screws ever devised to open up the memory for my 15inch alum pbook......im so mad right now....how the hell do i open this damn thing!

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You need a #00 Philips screwdriver. I got mine in Frys so you may have luck in computer shops that cater to those who like to take PCs to pieces.

Alternatively, if you know anyone with one of the Swiss Army cards that contain lots of blades/scissors etc, there's one in there. Not sure about on a normal Swiss Army knife.

3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

hahaha! i went thru the same thing a couple of years ago! i had to go to the local hardware store and buy screwdriver that is made for repairing eyeglasses. it works perfect and is my weapon of choice for any laptop. it comes in handy ALL THE TIME!

4. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

You can go to a Sears and go buy one. Probably cost about $5 (probably less). Just ask for jewelers screwdrivers and they ought to have a selection.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

go to any pharmacy (CVS) and buy a 3 dollar repairset for glasses. the little screwdriver works fine. there is for sure a CVS near your campus.

the extra memory will double the speed of your system. at least it feels like that.

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

god im so mad........i have been walking all over campus for like an hour and a half

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

walking is good for your health. with the increased snappiness of the PB you'll make up for the time.

8. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

my roomate has a tiny glasses repairkit with 3 super small screwdrivers.....and none work.......

9. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I paid $1.50 at Bartell Drugs for a screwdriver kit with 2 phillips and 3 flatheads, works great :)

10. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

OH MY GOD!!!! i just walked 2 freaking miles to CVS and mainly uphill in the rain ( i know i sound like im 80 years old reminsicing about walkign to school....) i buy 2 differnt types of glasses repair kits, and of course, neither work......this time they fit, but the screws are in too tight, so i cant turn any of them...ive had a couple kids in my dorm try, and none can.......please help!

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You really need a good quality 00 philips,however with what you have access to try inserting driver then give the head a sharp tap(remember its a Pb don't get carried away),then exerting a lot of downward pressure turn the screws.Whatever you do don't let the driver ride on the screw head or you'll cause yourself a real problem.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Go to your local Apple store and ask if they can loosen them for you?

I hope that they are just tight and that using all those screwdrivers hasn't stripped the screws. :eek:

13. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

god.... can someone find me a philipshead online to buy that will DEFINITELY work? i thought someone said 00, but i cant find those online.thanks

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, go to any hardware store and ask for the mini SET of screwdrivers. They come in a blue plastic case (usually) and have about 6 or 7 small screwdrivers. Very basic, yet not something everyone has. Get the SET cause you will find need for them again down the road. $10 max.

17. dcv macrumors G3

Speaking from recent experience, a Philips #0 with a sharp tip will also do the job! You will need a lot of elbow grease though to get those screws undone.

18. paperinacup macrumors 6502

lmao when i got my iBook I couldn't wait so I used a really sharp knife.

19. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Try:
    - The physics department
    - The engineering school / department
    - A computer services place

You can likely find someone at one of those kinds of places who's got all kinds of tools and is willing to let you use them while you're there for a moment.

20. WillMak macrumors 6502a

the ITS department at your college should have plenty of screwdrivers in that size.

21. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I once used a Tack and was able to unscrew mine :p

22. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist the scrwedriver, our fumbly fingers cant get a good grp on that small of a handle.

23. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

tried it all.......the computer department doesnt have a screwdriver small enough......engineering dept wont lend out tools to students....and the nearest hardware store isnt within walking distance......a sharp knife or tack works?

24. BlueT macrumors member

Chill out, buy the tools online, and wait a couple days. Last time I tried this myself, I stripped the screws and cost myself time and money. Just relax, have some patience, and you'll eventually get the appropriate tools. Yeesh. You've gone this long without a gig; a couple extra days won't kill you.

25. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a