So glad I escaped Ohio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Oct 15, 2005.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

:rolleyes: Sigh...

Ironic that the historical reformation (the 16th century one in Europe) was a step away from tyrannical religious governments, and this 'Reformation Ohio' group is a step towards a tyrannical religious United States.

So am I :).

_Emerson

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Did you notice the weird call-to-arms language? Like they're getting ready for war.

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

yeah, it definitely freaks me out.

Where did that vomit smilie go...

_Emerson

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

eek. They're like the Borg: "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated."

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is old "Onward Christian Soldiers" stuff. It is amazing that in a country dominated by Protestant Christian sects that many are successfully indoctrinated in the belief that Christians are persecuted. Very effective propaganda for getting people's backs up, if not particularly grounded in reality.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, having just said this, let me be slightly hypocritical and suggest that we -- mainstream Christians, agnostics and non-believers -- need to demonize the "Christian" right more.

This bigotry, this zealousness, this involvement in politics -- this is not Christianity. This is a cross between a cult and the KKK.

It deserves to be called it, and it deserves to be treated as such. It would help if priests, rabbis and mainstream Protestant ministers would denounce these organizations from their pulpits.

And -- I'm not saying this because I live in Ohio, I'm saying it because I believe it -- this is happening everywhere. Don't think you're safer because you live across the border.

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Religion and many of its supporters scare me, alot. Hitler believed in god too.

I guess what scares so much is that alot of these religious supporters are still RACIST and OPPERSIVE. Religion has been supported by people and countries that have had there hands in some pretty nasty things genocide, slavery. How can someone who supports religion so strongly such as our current president, absolutely destroy and even go as far as to turn around so many environmental efforts. Why would he a god fearing Christian do everything is his power to destroy gods green earth?!?!?!?!

My final rant no one has explained to me in a extensive manner is how god or Allah or whoever is out there can let hundreds of thousands of people die in natural disasters or allow an entire continent to be forced into slavery? If god created earth he can suppress earth quakes. He can create lightening to strike people like Hitler and Stalin and Christopher Columbus right where they stand.

I'd really like someone to argue against me on this as i have yet to find someone give a real argument as oppose to "God works in mysterious ways" or "Those are gods children and they are now with him in heaven" cause those are BS cop-out excuses.

I feel like so much of religion involves people using these BS phrases such as "That's how god works" "There must be a reason God did this"

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Come get some.

9. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

Don't sweat it, things that don't exist can't hurt you.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm normally a pacifist, but this is the one time I support sending the riot police in somewhere with the orders to shoot to kill.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I do. They don't listen to me when I do it because obviously I hate Christianity. Perhaps if more Christians would stand up to these kinds of people and say you don't speak for me things would improve.

It's not that Christianity shouldn't be involved in politics, it just shouldn't be used to restrict rights.

And I also am fascinated by the ability of a majority religious group's ability to persuade their followers that they are being oppressed in this country.

Speaking of which, I'm guessing it's almost time for our resident martyrs to proclaim how they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS anymore because of how oppressed they are. So they'll be down here in the political forum shouting MERRY CHRISTMAS to prove that they can't say MERRY CHRISTMAS because of people like me. (ie. 'you libs') ;) I'm guessing it will happen any day now. 'Tis the season....

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Bored and restless?
    :)

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looks like my move there should be even more interesting. I think I'll invite them to visit. :D I wonder if I can find a full size Japanese flag.

I'd dealt with the narrow-minded people in Indiana for years and, even though they'd learned better, they're still in that mindset that only Cauc-asians should rule. Of course, those Cauc-asians are supposedly devout Christians, too, but they can hardly be linked to the majority of scripture.

Indeed, it's quite an atmosphere there. It's no wonder Abercrombie & Fitch were the receipients of a discrimination lawsuit.

15. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

Care to elaborate on the discrimination lawsuit? I'm not familiar with that one!

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Here is some information:

http://www.afjustice.com/

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

I've only been to Ohio once (Dayton) and it seemed like the kind of place where if you could get hassled for having long hair and wearing John Lennon glasses. i kinda felt like everyone needed to get laid or stoned or both. Now, I could be totally off base, but some of my Ohio emigrant friends have corroborated this. Of course, they all now have blue hair and nine piercings and wear black Front 242 shirts.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Dayton isn't such a bad place but there are some strange things going on all over Ohio. The state seems a lot stranger than it was when I left there in 1988.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cleveland's a helluva lot hipper than that. Blue hair might get you a few stares, but nothing else. Once you get too far into the 'burbs, however....

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Cleveland is decent- I would hardly say hip, but if you must live in Ohio, it's a good place.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

umm, yeah. you're a little off. :rolleyes:
    dayton's not huge, but it bugs me when people feel like they've got the gist of place based on their limited encounters.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

No offense to any Ohioans... I want to stay on your good side, given that you guys have picked the next president in every election since '60. :)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They've got a hell of a lot to answer for, then....

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

veering OT for a moment,

I was talking to a couple from Ohio the other evening and the conversation turned to a particular version of Chili from the Cincinnati area (or larger).

It, AFAIK, resembled something more akin to spaghetti - as it is served over noodles, with grated cheese on top - with beans only being an optional ingredient.

I wish I could remember more, but I had put down a few...but I was intrigued. I believe a popular recipe is canned for export beyond the borders of the hinterland...

Any Ohioans care to chime in and clarify?