Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I'm getting an iBook 12" hopefully next month, and I want to know what I can expect from the keyboard. Thank you.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Actually a prefer the feel of the ibook keyboard over the apple keyboard (of course though the apple keyboard is much more complete, but i mean the feel). Though, I have experienced over the years getting little particles inside between the keys, so spray it occasionally with compressed air before it builds up! :)

vatel

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
I find the keyboard is great! The iBook keyboard is the same as the powerbook keyboard except for the materials, and the powerbook keys are are a little more sculpted. That said, this is by far the best laptop keyboard I've ever used. I can touch type full speed on this keyboard, no problem; and ergonomically it is one of the few laptop keyboards I've used that I can type on for long periods of time.

(Note that all apple laptops have the same size keyboard, so my 15" keyboard is not any bigger than the 12" ibook kb).

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
The keyboard on my G3 flexes a lot. Don't know if Apple has changed the keyboard design since, although I doubt it.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I'm sitting here typing on an iBook keyboard, having owned a Powerbook aswell.

The build quality seems to be identical to the powerbook save for harder plastic being used on the silver keys of the Powerbook. Other than this, it's a fine keyboard to type on. In many ways, better than the desktop keyboard that comes with the mac.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
calyxman said:
The keyboard on my G3 flexes a lot. Don't know if Apple has changed the keyboard design since, although I doubt it.

Yeah they have and it's much better now. :D

Everyone always complains about the iBook keyboard, saying how much better the PowerBook one is, but I think they're both pretty great. I'm a bit of a sucker for laptop keyboards since I find them so much easier to touch-type on.

mipsmonsta

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2005
Ann Arbor
The ibook keyboard never pose a problem for me on my 12''. Okay mabbe the use of the fn key to activate the F1-12 could be a hassle. For example dashboard only activates with fn-F12 instead of just F12 on the imac. Of course this problem can be mitigate by the reassignment of the "F8" key.
But note that all laptop uses the fn key scheme to some extent.

Still, I love my ibook, no complains.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I've had a 12-inch iBook G4 for about 4 months now and I love it, including the keyboard!! One way to look at it is this . . . would you ever base your decision to buy a Windows PC upon the feel or performance of the keyboard?? Hopefully not! I have NO complaints with my iBook's keyboard, but even if I did, that would be pretty nit-picky, I think. It's a great machine! :)

BenAKL

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
I have had my iBook since August last year.

The keyboard is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S! I love how solid it feels and the overall make of it. No regrets so far :D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i was at compusa deciding which mac to buy this summer (long story) and got a chance to try out both ibook/powerbook kb's. the ibook felt great until i tried the 12" pb. it just seems...tighter...i could type a lot faster on it. haven't used either for long periods of time so i guess i'd have to do so to have a truer opinion.
edit: doesnt pb have an actual eject key? i seem to remember the ibook had odd spaces between the function keys, and no eject, but the pb had no space and an eject key? am i crazy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.