So how can I attach an iSight to a Dell LCD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zakatov, Jul 4, 2005.

1. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

I have the Dell 1905FP LCD and want to buy an iSight, but it seems it only mounts on laptops with a clamp or Apple LCDs (including iMacs) with like suction or something.

So how can I get it to work on the Dell LCD? I've looked for stands and the only one I've found was the SightFlex, but it's out of stock in every place. How else can I get it up off the desk and preferably onto the LCD?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Doesn't the iSight kit also include a magnetic stand for the Apple displays? Perhaps you could get a piece of steel, and attach it to the back surface of the top of the monitor (i.e. glue it), in such a way that you can use the magnetic stand. If that is possible, then it wouldn't be too bad cosmetically, since the metal would be on the back side, where it would not be readily visible when the iSight is not in use.

But I'm not 100% sure about that...I don't have an iSight or a Dell monitor here to test with. :)

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

My wife's iSight came with stickers that allow you attach it to almost anything. I don't think the Dell Monitor will be a problem.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

You're correct. The iSight comes with a clamp for laptops, the magnet piece for the apple displays, and a sticky one that can be used for all other displays.

5. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Thanks, I didn't know that. The only possible problem is that on the top of the back of the LCD there are ventilation holes (that I'd rather not cover up) and the surface is uneven (not flat) for about 2 inches from the top of the panel. Can anyone post a pic or approximate how much flat area is needed and where on the back of the LCD it has to be in order to attach iSight?

6. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

My Dell 2001FP 20" LCD has a strip of aluminum all around the edge so I'm able to use the Apple magnet mount for my iSight. Works just great - either in regular or portrait mode.

7. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Hmmm, the silver thing around the edge feels plastic to me, like the base, but I guess could be something under the plastic. Also, I read that there's no magnet in the iSight, that the magnet is actually in the monitors and in iMac's cases.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

easiest solution - throw out dell display, get a cinema display. hey presto all the mounts work :p

9. Poeben macrumors 6502

Let's not forget that aluminum is not magnetic.

10. zakatov thread starter macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Ok, forget attaching iSight to the LCD. Does anyone know of any stands or something for the iSight?