So how did you find MacRumors in the first place?

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Apr 29, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

One thing that always intrigued me is the fact the we constantly get people who apparently just got a Mac, or just had a problem with their Mac, and turned to this site for help. Which is fantastic.

But what I've always wondered is, how did they find us, in some cases very quickly? I stumbled upon the site a year or so ago on accident, really, and lurked for awhile, but then was prompted by my brother to come to the forums. Much so some of your chagrin, I'm sure, I've stayed.

So my question is - how did you happen to become a card-carrying member of the MacRumors community? Were you referred? Did you do a search for a problem and this popped up? Just curious.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Googled 'Mac Forums'

Lurked for a long time, was slightly intimidated by certain members who seem to have moved on. Read a lot, didn't bother registering until I had a problem to post & enquire about. Over time, discovered the diversity and broadness of the members' interests -- unlike many tech forums, this one has really interesting side-topics and thoughtful posts.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't really remember. Probably through Macworld/maccentral. Someone must have put up a link in the Maccentral (now Macworld news) forums, and I hopped over here. I registered when I wanted to make a post on one of the forum topics, and here I am.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I started looking for information on the next revision of the PowerBook because I was buying one and found MacRumors in 2001 :D Didn't post much at first and really started posting in 2002...

D

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I believe that qualifies for the "understatement of the day" award.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

haha, actually its true, I signed up in Novemeber but didn't start posting until March or April, but then I never stopped :D

D

7. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

I was at apple.com on the download page. I was looking at a piece of software that syncs text from different web-sites to the iPod. There was a screen shot of the software showing a list of web-sites that you could put on your iPod. MacRumors was on the list, and i was intrigued by the name, so I went to MacRumors.com. That was about one year ago.

-Bowie

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I've often thought this. I don't understand why someone who just bought a Mac would come to a site named MacRumors for help. Unless somehow "Rumors" can be confused with "Help"...

I mean it's great that they come here for help, but I don't understand it.

Anyway, I found this site when I was wondering what Apple had in the works and wanted some rumors about what was coming. So I googled "mac rumors" and lo and behold, MacRumors. :D

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I remember checking out the site a few times as far back as 2001, but I didn't start lurking on the forums until the summer of 2003, when I was planning to buy a Powermac G5.

I ended up having to spend my savings on my college education though, so no G5, but I did keep reading the site. It seemed like a decent place with a welcome lack of 1337-speaking teenagers/haxors/spammers, so I eventually joined and started posting during lulls at work.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i was searching for some apple news topic and i stumbled across Macbytes, which then lead me to MacRumors.... the rest is history, i waited a few months and lurked before registering and posting, didnt post much at first and was shy, but now im up there in post count! go me! im coming for you Mr. Anderson LoL

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

A long time ago I found Macrumors through the good people at 91FM Philadelphia. They had a show called the CompuDudes who offered free tech support on the air. They had a news section in their program and they mentioned Macrumors in reference to a rumor related to the G4 Cube. I logged on using my Performa 6300, found the forums and 4 years later the rest is history.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I was another long time lurker – I can't actually remember what brought me here in the first place, but I think I stumbled here trying to Google a solution to a problem with one of the Macs at work.

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I found it wihile searching for info on ibooks because I was thinking of switching. First I didnt even notice it had a forum :eek: :p then I learked for about a month and I signed up on April 12 2004, 2 days after my birthday :D

WOOOHOOOO I love MR :cool:

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Its odd, but back in the day (a year ago or so) when TechTV was good, MacRumors was featured on The Screen Savers... and I began "Lurking" the site - and then new PowerBooks (Rev C) came out and I wanted them so I went on the web and lurked here more and then I registered.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

About two years ago (winter 2002/3), when my dear old Pismo's battery was utterly dead, and I started looking for a replacement, and at one point I stumbled upon Mac Rumors, or to be specific, Mac Rumor's Buyer's Guide. I started lurking, included the front page (and later RSS feed) in my daily news round.

Then just over a year ago (March 2004) i figured out I actually had something to contribute to a thread (cannot remember which or what it was about) and after taking the plunge I spend more and more time here... bordering on too much time, lately... ;)

(Got my current iBook G4 Nov 2003, and the Pismo is still going strong and is used every day by my girlfriend without any battery change, by the way)

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I stumbled upon it following a link in a long-forgotten article, then lurked for a good, oh, day or two, then started posting in earnest (with intermittent but giant posting gaps, one of which I might now be exiting).

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, it'll be especially nice to have you back. :)

Now if only MacDawg was also around... :(

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did something similar, although I'm not sure what I googled exactly. But MR came up high on the list, or at the top, and I was impressed by the site layout, by the quality of the forums, and most by the atmosphere of the community. The last is much more than half of what I wanted in getting a Mac, so in that sense, MR really made me switch. The other half was the fact that, since OS X came out and matured a wee lil' bit, it looked like an opportunity to have "fun" using a computer again, and to learn about Unix. I found Win95 fun, believe it or not, when it first supplanted 3.1, but I didn't have this experience with subsequent versions, and I needed a change....

19. Knox Administrator

Knox

Staff Member

I haven't got a clue - my memory definitely doesn't stretch back that far :D Almost 3 years since I joined now.

You'd be surprised how many times the forum archives pop up for a search on anything mac related, or a specific problem. For example (completely random example I came up with)

http://www.google.com/search?q=powermac+g5+won't+start+up

Although that particular page isn't really related to the search, people may click on it regardless.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, I was hoping things would have turned around for him in the two months or so I've been mostly absent (just busy, go figure). I'm sorry to see that they apparently haven't yet. :(

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I'm not sure but I guess I found the link in Macworld/MacCentral website, I don't know it really.

22. tom.96 macrumors regular

Through http://www.rumortracker.com/

This site tracks some of the Mac rumor pages and gives a summary of what each of them are saying. It has not been updated in sometime, it is still leading on an article on jaguar!

It used to be great and I checked it a couple of times a day. In the end I always found myself clicking on the macrumours link so just bookmarked that one!

23. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Geez.. Whooda thunk I was around longer than Mr. A?

I've been posting slow and steady since JUNE of 2001. Weren't nearly as many sites around then. Used to get this place and MacOSRumors mixed up...

Nice forum here. Very few A-holes. Lots of bright people.. kind people.

Started posting a lot more once I got banned from the Apple.com discussion forums... oops! Not much room for humor there when OSX was in its infancy..

24. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Wow! Cool someone else....
    I also found MR from Leo on TechTV and just liked the site so I became a member of MacRumors and learned a lot from reading along with trial and error.

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I love that! Long story short, Apple referred you to MacRumors!

I sought out a good rumor site when I was planning my biggest Mac purchase ever - a top of the line Power Mac. Like many people, I didn't want to buy a system just before a replacement line was announced. I've been burned in the past by that. After some comparisons I decided that MacRumors was the best of the sites, and the rest is history.