so how does the wiimote work?

Discussion in 'Games' started by RoxStrongo, May 11, 2006.

1. RoxStrongo macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

ok so now i am confused. nintendo has totally downplayed the whole sensor bar thing and now i'm just not quite sure how it all works. initially i thought that the wiimote knew exactly where you were pointing at the screen. but now after reading an article about red steel on ign i don't know how it works. from what it is saying it gives the impression that it just works like a glorified mouse and that it doesn't matter where it is pointed at the screen.

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

It's not abundantly clear how it works. It's is more than a mouse, however as it can detect it's position in 3D space as opposed to 2D like a mouse. It also knows the orientation of the controller, ie titled, turned etc.

My original thought was that there were three small transmitters inside the Wiimote forming a triangle. If the sensor bar has 2 recievers and the Wii itself contained one it would then be able to triangulate the position and the orientation of the controller.

That apparantly is wrong. Sounds like there may be some accelerometers inside the controller to detect the tilting a turning and the 3D position is determined by IR triangulation on the sensor bar, which would explain why it needs to be aimed at the screen.

In short, it's still a mystery.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It doesn't bear any relevence to the screen at all. You could be point and [pretending to] play at a concrete wall for all the good it'll do.

It has a series of gyroscopes to measure pitch, yaw, pretty much everything. It knows where it's pointing basically. The bar does 1 thing. It triangulates the controllers position. Which just tells the system how close the player/controller is to the TV or wherever you place it. So if you mapped out a mirror of your bedroom or living room and walked around with the controller, it would be able to place it on the screen too running off the calculations of the controller/bar.

Basically it IS a 3D mouse. without the bar it would be a very good 2D mouse, but the bar escalates it to 3D. But that's obviously running backstage, most of the games you won't see a mouse or any indication of control or position. Wii Sports for example. FPS would use a 2D mouse effect and RTS would use a 3D mouse effect.

Hope that wasn't confusing. I tried simplifying it but it's 2:16am.

5. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

ok thanks jimmi thats made it clearer. i guess it will all be down to the callibration. i would love for fps to have you point the wiimote at the part of the screen you were shooting at. although i ges its good in a way to. stop arms from getting too tired.

6. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Actually, without that bar it isn't mouse-like at all. All it is without the bar is motion sensing (tilt, etc.)

That bar is what allows it to work as a pointer and attain zapper-like functionality. It wouldn't know where on the screen you were pointing without it (which would not be necessary, say, for a driving or flight game - even Wii Sports).

How or if the pointer functionality even works without some sort of calibration has not been detailed but I'd say accuracy without calibration would be near impossible.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a little confused at why Nintendo don't include the bar in the system. After a calibration then it should be sorted. so long as it can triangulate surely it's ok?

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

It is included, isn't it (?)

EDIT: Perhaps I am totally off base... I'll just have to wait for a thorough official explanation I guess.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So the bar won't be included with the Wii?

Bless

10. RoxStrongo thread starter macrumors regular

RoxStrongo

yeh surely as long as it's there then it shouldn't matter. oh well there must be a reason for it. anyone know how it attaches to the console? since there is no mention of a port on the console, my guess would be that it splits off of the av cable.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

what he means by included is within the system itself and not an external attachment

But i believe the reason they didn't is because nintendo knows people don't keep their systems close to their TVs

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

People are going to have very tired arms. Sounds like they consist of two pairs of gyroscope and accelerometer, so you get the quick reaction time of the piezo gyro and the drift correction of the accelerometer. But then where is the third channel? IR sensor bar?
    :confused:

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

That's my only concern. Of course I guess that will prevent those of us that sit down and play video games for hours on end. ;) We'll have to take breaks every now and then just to give our arms a break.

Either that or we'll all have huge muscles in our wiimote arm. :cool:

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, RaggedJimmi, that's not entirely correct.

Without the bar, the Wiimote detects all motion and tilt. With the bar, it also detects where on the TV you're pointing and how far from the TV you are.

The nunchuck is exactly the same as the Wiimote except no interaction with the bar so it doesn't know where you're pointing, at least that's what the Nintendo rep told me.

RaggedJimmi; the games that required the Wiimote to point at the screen can't be played facing a wall. Others can.

Sonic and Excite Bike played fine facing a wall. Red Steel and Metroid Prime on the other hand, wouldn't. You point off the screen and you can't shoot.

15. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

it plugs into ur brain wirelessly and BOOM...

16. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Not to nitpick, but it senses motion with one 3-axis accelerometer. Not a gyroscope. They are on the market, but cost 4-6x as much as the accelerometer.

17. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

As I said before, is there the possibility that the Accelerometer will be paired with piezo gyros for faster response time?

By the way, nice find. I think I may get some of those to tinker with on a rainy day :)

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Cool, that's exactly what I was saying/thinking and am glad to hear that backed up. :)

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

One of the Nintendo reps said that for games that don't use the where-on-the-screen-you-are-pointing functionality, you don't even need the sensor bar. For example, Excite Truck and Sonic Wild Fire don't require the sensor bar.