Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I understand certain processors are unsupported for Airplay support, but how do they go about enforcing this?

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Certain processors are unsupported for AirPlay?

Not sure what you mean...

Please clarify your query

pac

I was told that Apple chose to restrict the AirPlay features in ML to newer models featuring Sandy Bridge processors (i5, i7, etc).

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
A simple hardware check?

I guess hearing this news is rather bothersome to me. I really am hoping there is a legitimate reason to restrict the feature, other than encouraging people to upgrade. I really don't see how some of the later core duo processors can't handle this.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
It's not just the processors that were upgraded in the systems Apple is referring to. Many of them feature a newer WiFi adapter which enables some media streaming and dual streaming features. It's entirely possible some of those WiFi enhancements are required for the streaming to work.

To answer the OP's question, Apple has many ways of knowing which hardware it's OS is running on. It could merely check the driver version for the WiFi adapter or the Kernel's proc id functions.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
It's not just the processors that were upgraded in the systems Apple is referring to. Many of them feature a newer WiFi adapter which enables some media streaming and dual streaming features. It's entirely possible some of those WiFi enhancements are required for the streaming to work.

To answer the OP's question, Apple has many ways of knowing which hardware it's OS is running on. It could merely check the driver version for the WiFi adapter or the Kernel's proc id functions.

Good point, this will probably be the end culprit for the discrepancy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.