So... how long before PB updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by the_ref, Jul 26, 2005.

  1. the_ref macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #1
    I've been lurking here for a while.. basically decided about a month ago that I'd like a new laptop, and having seen my brother with his old Powerbook, and his new iMac, decided to make the switch to Apple.

    Have been on hols for 2 weeks, and had decided before I went, that I would buy a PB when I got back - but I see the buyers guide for PB has been changed to buy only if needed.

    Was (I would imagine like a few others) hoping the PB specs might get bumped a bit today, with the iBook, but obviously no joy.

    I don't NEED this laptop now, but would like it - my currently laptop is struggling a bit, and I would like a new toy ;-)

    I don't want to wait until MacTel stuff comes out, as I think Revn A of that might be a bit of a nightmare.

    The obvious choice is just to sit and wait for the next update, but obviously that is quite frustrating!! I'm sure that's what folk on here will say, but I think I actually just posted to blow off some steam that I won't get a shiny new PB any time soon!!

    any got any thoughts/theories on when the PBs will get updated?
     
  2. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    #2
    Well, if I was you I wouldn't hold my breath. I took the plunge and bought one in June. (15" "ultimate") Anyways... you might see updates in paris, which would be a possible next update. But, in my oppinon you may not see one untill november, before the holiday season. Especially considering how long the ibook updates took. Also, I'm guessing that apple may only update the powerbook's once until they are switched to intel, and if that's true... then apple will proabably hold off as long as they can on an update. That way there will be the shortest possible gap at both ends. So, if you want it or need it buy it. If you can wait till august, and don't mind if their updated in a 2 months or so, then wait. But, like i said, don't be afraid to take the plunge.
     
  3. Eevee macrumors 6502a

    Eevee

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2004
    Location:
    New Haven, CT
    #3
    I don't believe there will be an update anytime soon. There is a "Cram & Jam" deal for Education, which includes a free iPod mini after purchasing a PB. Thus, Apple will probably not have an update now.

    Based on your post, I'd wait.
     
  4. fr3drik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2005
    #4
    Isn't the graphics card in the new iBooks (Mobility Radeon 9550) faster than current PB's Geforce FX Go5200?
    Can Apple really have a 12" iBook that has a better graphics card than the equivalent PB? I mean, the PB should be the proffessional choice (or something) ... at least it feels that way. I am aware that the PB still is faster and stuff, but I'm paying the big bucks to beat the iBook on every level.

    I'm buying the 12" PB this week, but I'd be a bit pissed off if they upgrade the video card on it soon ...since that's the only part I'm not 100% happy with.
     
  5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

    Jay42

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    #5
    I think I might pay $50 bucks to know this...100 is pushing it. But seriously, steve, if you're listening...

    Actually, I know I'll ultimately be happy with whatever I end up with.
     
  6. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #6
    Personally, I think there is almost NO REASON AT ALL to buy the 12" PowerBook right now. The slighly faster processor won't make much of a difference. The 12" iBook and 12" PowerBook have almost the exact same specs, but the PowerBook is $500 more. Go for the iBook! However, the PowerBook will probably have a significant update soon, most likely at Paris.
     
  7. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #7
    what if you had the chance to get the current 12" Powerbook combo for $1199 (no tax) as a fall sale at a uni bookstore? Would you do it then? I'm tempted, for sure. $1200 flat is a great deal, isn't it?
     
  8. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #8
    That is definitely a good deal. It all depends on your needs for a computer. What do you plan on doing with your computer?
     
  9. zach macrumors 65816

    zach

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2003
    Location:
    Medford
    #9
    no, no, and no.

    first off, the only PB with a GeForce is the 12" (and yes, i'm aware you're talking about the 12"). The Mobility 9700 in the 15" and 17" spanks the Mobility 9550.

    secondly, the minor clock speed difference in the graphics card is MORE than made up for by the PowerBook's 64 MB of VRAM, versus the iBook's 32.

    coupled with the faster bus and processor, the 12" PowerBook's graphics will soundly defeat the iBook's in any timedemo or graphics test you run.
     
  10. brepublican macrumors 6502a

    brepublican

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    NY
    #10
    Very well said. Now that thats been put to rest, new PB's next tuesday? Anyone?

    If need be, I am prepared to hold out til the very last week of the 'Cram et Jam', but hopefully, that wont be necesarry... or will it Steve? :mad:
     
  11. fr3drik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2005
    #11
    Is it possible to see previous updates to Apple hardware (especially the PB line)? Maybe that could give us some perspective on the magnitude on the update and if it really will be worth waiting for such a supposed update.
     
  12. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #12
    Check the Buyer's Guide for update histories. And keep in mind that there are never updates without some rumors first.
     
  13. the_ref thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #13
    So what dates are we looking at? Looks like the main milestones are the end of cram and jam, and paris? what dates are they?

    I had decided to wait, but after today's iBook update, which generally seemed disappointing, I'm thinking that any PB upgrade will be similar, a bit of a bump that I wouldn't really notice.

    Oh, and if it has any relevance, I'm thinking of going for the 17" PB, so it's not really a choice between 12" PB and 12" iBook. Do people reckon that in any PB update, the 17" will have more or less of an update than the 12" or 15"?
     
  14. fr3drik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2005
    #14
    Hmm... but you can't check what kind of updates there were ...just when they occured?

    EDIT: Sorry, I'm tired. I just found out that you could click those dates by the bars ... :)
     
  15. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #15
    Paris is at the same time as the end of Cram and Jam. The iBooks DID get some new features today, as will the PowerBooks. They will get some features that you don't even know about yet. :) And if the PowerBooks are updated at Paris, they will probably be pretty major.
     
  16. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #16
    If you click on the date, it will show you the article that described the update.
     
  17. fr3drik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2005
    #17
    Ah, thanks :) Getting sleepy over here...

    So that FX Go 5200 in the 12" has been there since 9/2003. It's time to update that I think. Aww man I hate this rumor/waiting madness. I'm gonna wait for Paris only to get a new graphics card in the 12", but then if nothing happens I'm buying the current 12" setup anyway.
     
  18. Sam I Am macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, MI
    #18
    hehe, no problem. ;)
     

Share This Page