So how long do u guys really sleep?

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Nov 20, 2002.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I've been on these boards for nearly 2 years now ( I a geek or what?), and I know I've personally spent many a late night roaming around getting posts in here & there...

so my question for u guys & gals...

What is your typical sleeping pattern? Do u tend to sleep a lot? a little? like sleeping more than eating or sex?

Normally...I get between 5-6 hours a night. I tend not to remember my dreams mostly, I feel, because I'm not at rest long enough. But oddly enough, I don't usually need much sleep to function properly. What's even more odd, the more active I am (exercise-wise), the more energy I have overall...thus 5-6 hours is plenty to recharge myself. :rolleyes:
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    lets see....

Go to bed about 11:00pm, wake up at about 9:00am the next morning, stay in bed trying to get back to sleep for about an hour or until my bladder is about to explode, then I finally get up and let my fat little poodle out.

So about 10hrs on the average.

I really need a job.[​IMG] Next week, come on!!
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    12 hours? Ouch, I don't think I could do that - and yes you should get a job.

For me its 11 or midnight, sometimes later and getting up around 6-7 so usually a little more than 6 hours. And even on the weekends as well.

Although this weekend, just for the a change and the fact that my wife and I were out till 3 the night before, we got up after 10 AM! Something neither of us have done for years. I did get up earlier, 7:30ish to give the dog a fast walk so she wouldn't bother us while we slept in. :D

4. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.

Actualy it was 10 hours, bad math on my part[​IMG]. And as for the job, I'm still searching. Nobody seems to be hiring out here. Going again to apply at a few places tomorrow, maybe I'll get something then but probably not.[​IMG]
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Well, my sleeping schedule is weird and unpredictable, because
    I am an insomniac, but luckily I don't have a bad case of it. Well,
    I will go through all the days of the week.

Sunday -
    My mom forces me to church (I wake at about 10:00).
    I spend all sunday telling myself that I should be doing
    homework, and I finally start at 10:00, I finish around 12:00. I am
    dead tired while doing my homework, and I look forward to a
    warm bed. I finally finish, and get ready for bed. I get in bed
    around 12:15, and then my mind wakes up. I finally get my
    anticipated bed, and then suddenly I am not tired. Very irratating
    but I have to deal with it... I sometimes read, but that is besides
    the point. I will finally fall asleep at 1:30.

Monday -
    Wake up at 8:00, get ready for school. Go to school. Get home.
    Do homework, chat, watch TV, etc. until about 9:30 when I start
    my HW. I do HW till about 12:00 and then I get in bed. I don't
    fall asleep till 1:00.

Wake up at 8:00 same as mon. Go to bed at 12:30

Wed -
    Wake up at 8:00 same as mon and tues except I fall asleep as
    soon as I get home (5:00 or so) and wake up at about 9:00. I am
    up till 2:30-3:30 doing homework, and computer.

Thurs -
    Same as mon. Don't fall asleep till 1:00.

Friday - Same as mon, don't fall asleep till 4:00 - 6:00 (AM).

Saturday - Hours of waking range from 12:00 to 6:00 (PM). Yes,
    I said 6:00. The latest I have ever slept was till 7:30. My mom
    toted me 'sleeping beauty' for the next week. (I am a male btw).

Back to sunday.....

I barely ever follow this schedule, for example. This week on mon
    I didn't fall asleep till 3:00, and on tues I slept when I got home,
    didn't fall asleep till 3:30, and I haven't gone to sleep yet, I am not
    planning on it, but i am dead tired. Wow, that was a longer post
    then I expected.

I hate my sarcadian rhythm :D. :eek:
  6. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Usually I like to get up early in the morning, around 6:00 to 8:00, especially if I can't sleep. And I usually get tired at around 9 or 10pm (21:00 or 22:00) anyways, earlier than most people.

When I have class, I get up and moving at around 6:40am, but I have early morning extra help scheduled for the following couple of days. I'll probably wake up and get moving 10 or 20 minites earlier, or even earlier, if I decide to post here in the mornings with enough time and energy. :)
  7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I'd say 2-3 hours on really hectic days, for other days or the weekends, 5-6 hours. It sucks being a full-time college student (taking way too many classes)...but hey, at least I'll graduate this year. :)
  8. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i go to bed between 1 and 3 and wake around 10.

that makes me realize, i sleep too much.

oh well, next term i have early classes, so i will be up around 8 or so. right now my earliest class is eith 1, 2 or 4, depending on that day. hehe. gotta love senior year.
  9. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    wow...and they thought I was nuts when I didn't flinch at 4 hours a night for 2 weeks straight! :eek:
  10. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    does that include sleeping in class??? :D
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Shouldn't this have been in the form of a poll?

For those too lazy to actually type out an answer.

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    Weekdays: 12:30 AM- 8:00 AM
    Weekends: 2:00 AM- 10:00 AM
  13. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    I have not slept much at all in the last few days.

Lots of work, term papers due, exams, etc. Not fun at all.

Usually I try to get at least 5 hours of sleep on a normal night.

I wake up on Saturdays at 5 AM and come home from work at about 1PM, which is fairly relaxing. On Sundays I go to church at 9 and start work at 11:30 AM until about 2:30 PM. I don't work during the week as to interfere with my studies.

Before a track meet, I try to get as much sleep as possible so that means I hit the hay at around 7 PM.

Now during the summer, sleep was a different story. :D

I never went to bed (usually). I played MP RtCW, MP SC, and lived off of Macrumors forums posting rampages and pizza.

How else could I have gotten a 'tar in such a short amount of time? ;) :D

P.S. And when I did sleep in the summer, I slept during the day, since it is too humid here in the Woodlands to even set foot outside (unless of course you are going swimming).
  14. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I can actually go to sleep at any time and waking up too.

I think that sleep is a waste of time with counted exceptions. I go to sleep at 12 am most of the time or pass 1am and use to wake up no later than 8am. I rather to wake up at 7 at list no mater the day of the week there is always something to do.

As I'm working as a VJ I use to come home at 7am on sundays and use to wake up at 11am, I usually take a nap around 4pm in those cases.

The trick is to go to bed when you know you have everything done the best you could, that way you will wake up with good energy.
  15. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2002
    Stilwell, Kansas
    Ahh Sleep

When I was a teenager, I would goto bed around 3 am and get up at 6 am. Now that I'm an old, old person (33), I usually am in bed and asleep before 10 pm and I get up at 6 am.

I always get up at the same time. If you are having trouble falling asleep like I did in college, get up at the same, exact time every morning. I flunked out of college because I would try getting up at 7 am MWF and 9 TR and I was never able to fall asleep.
  16. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I consistently go to be at 11:33pm. Get up most days 7:30am - 8:30am!
  17. Cursor macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    During the work week, I usually get to bed around 11-midnight and wake up anywhere from 5am to 7:30 (on late days). Weekends vary since I like to play Sony late at night sometimes. :)
  18. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I usually get to sleep work night between 11 and Midnight and get up at 7:25. On the weekends I get about the same amount of sleep just different hours. I know from experience that I can condition myself to 4-5 hours of sleep a night if I have to. Though I haven't done that in a long time and my life very energy draining at the moment between working out and work.

I do find that I have more energy to draw on when I'm regularly physically active. Even if I feel tired I can keep going and be productive.
  19. dnte42 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Usually 7-8 hours (12:30-7:30 or so), it all depends on what is going on. Back when I had time to exercise, I usually needed less and felt better, now that I am in the crunch time of the semester I am getting 8 hours (and more sometimes) and feeling tired far too often. Stress sucks.
  20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    7-8 hours for me...I don't remember my dreams much either, unless I sleep in a lot.

I can function just fine with less for a few days, as long as I can recharge on the weekends.
  21. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    i like your tar hit man... audioslave ... dig it!

i usually only get about 5 hours sleep in a 24 hour period.
  22. idkew macrumors 68020

Sep 26, 2001
    where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i have a hard time believing this. i am in college, at a fairly select university, and i don't know a single person who was pushed that hard, even 3 year plan people. the only people who have to pull all-nighters are those who choose not to do work throughout the week, only when it is due.

but, if this is your case, a) i feel for you. i hope those hectic days are few and far between, and b) sleeping this little is unhealthy.

wether you believe it or not, you will function, study and recall better with more sleep. there are chemicals that build up during consciousness that need to be removed during unconsciousness. there are documented cases of people going crazy permanently due to sleep depravation.

i would recommend you stop studying fore that test when you only have 4 or 5 hours of sleep left in the day. you mind will have an easier time remembering the info you just crammed into it.

my 2.5¢
  23. Cappy macrumors 6502

May 29, 2002
    I'm a bit more seasonal. During the summer I can go with an average of 4-5 hrs of sleep...note that this is average so sometimes it 2-3 while others are 5-6. Also I typically take a short 5-10 min nap during my lunch break everyday. During the winter months which is approaching it's more like 6 hrs on average with it rarely ever being more. My teen years were 7-9 hrs while my 20's were 4 hrs/night except for one night where I would sleep about 10-12 hrs.

I do pretty well these days for the amount of sleep I get. My wife doesn't understand it and is trying to get me to seek medical help. I can't stress enough how much better the nap can make you feel although I do pretty well without it when the time isn't there for one. Matter of fact even when I getting 7-9 hrs an occassional nap still helped out. I don't believe it's a big deal physically but mentally. Lets the mind rest a bit and dream a little.

One more thing to add is cutting out the caffeine does wonders for being able to be awake more on a consistent basis and feel more healthy.
  24. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    My bedtime varies from 10:00PM to around 11:00PM, some nights a little earlier sometimes a little later, especially Friday or Saturday night if I go out with friends, I am usually up at 6:00 every weekday and around 7:00 or 8:00 on weekends.
  25. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    I'm taking the equivalent of 6 years in 4 years...i was a little ambitious (over achieving ;))...i'm applying to med school and grad school, i'm graduating with three majors and two minors...i'm doing a little too much in too little time. :eek:

The interesting thing is...I don't use any chemicals to stay away. I detest coffee, and yet I have time every morning to work out for about an hour. :eek: :eek: :eek: