So, how long does it take?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ghall, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm wondering how long it takes to install Windows XP Home Edition on a MacBook Pro with 1.5GB of RAM and a 2.0 Ghz dual processor. So, how long does it take?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't know how long it takes to install just windows. From the time I installed boot camp to finish installing windows it was around 2 hours. I was leaving the room a lot though to let stuff finish and I didn't always come back to it right when it finished... Of course if you have other stuff to install on top of windows it will get longer.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The XP install process usually takes ~25-30 minutes on any machine it'll run on well.

B

4. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

So, does Windows XP run well on a MacBook Pro, because just the installation has been going for about 2 hours. Is there something wrong?

5. mrploddy macrumors member

Base windows xp install - 25 - 30 minutes on average

Time to get a working install with all the patches up to date + virus scanner ? - a lot longer. I personally don't consider an xp installation useful till it's been windows updated'd to the hilt and the virus scanner definitions are up to date.

-mrploddy

6. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Takes me about 2 hours to do everything including updates (cable internet).

The install should NOT take longer than 45min on these things.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've done it more than once, on multiple machines with vista and XP on Boot Camp and Parallels. A clean disk helps a lot! If your disk is smudged, the install takes longer.

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I think it is a Dual Core Duo if you have a 2.0GHz MacBook Pro, and not a Dual Processor. just pointing this out incase anyone missed it in the original post.

Edit: But it looks like he already knew that considering its stated in his Sig. Sorry.

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, the installer is not working at all. It's stuck on Installing Windows, and the superdrive is making low pitch noises. Please tell me there's not something wrong with my cd.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have to ask.... Your CD does have SP2, right?

Any clues as to where in the install you are?

B

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Yep, I checked the box and it definitaly says Service Pack 2. I'm right after you restart.

BTW, I left it over-night and it made no progress. Should I bring it back and exchange it?