So how much HD space does OSX actually use?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peter202, Dec 4, 2006.

1. peter202 macrumors member

peter202

Just ordered my MacBook 2.0Ghz White 80gb with 2Gigs of ram. WHoo :D

System requirements on apple support say that OSX uses 3-4gb
    I was just wandering if anyone could help me out and give me real life figures.
    Im talking about OSX system with all iLife06. It wouldnt bother me so much but i intend on using parallels desktop for college and i need to see how much space this will leave me with at the end.

Thanks

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

it all depends on how it is installed. when it arrives it will have what a lot of people consider a bunch of useless stuff on it. when my mini came i used the restore disk to wipe the drive and reinstall os x without the international languages, extra print drivers and some other stuff and picked up an additional 5-6GB of disk space.

3. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I remember looking at hard drive information and it seemed to be closer to 7-8 GB before I loaded all my stuff on it. (MBP 17"...October)

-=|Mgkwho

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

A default OS X install comes in at about 25GB I believe.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

first off, your 80GB hard drive is probably going to be around 74GB after it's formatted. then take off about 4 for OSX and another 4 for iLife (estimates here, people... i'm afraid i don't have my Mac at hand). you can easily regain space by deleting languages you don't (and never will) use, print drivers you don't need, and removing a few programs and their support files (i.e., GarageBand loops or iDVD themes).

6. yudilks macrumors regular

Can we actually add the printer driver later on.. I know we should be able to do this, but how easy is that?

7. yudilks macrumors regular

Hmm.. OK.. So is that common "tradition" for a new mac to be completely reformatted to remove some stuffs? Oh, BTW can anyone tell me what are the software that Apple bundled together with the new Mac nowadays?

I know there will be iLife, but what else?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Expect the default install to use up about 20 GB.

It depends on what Mac you buy. IMO, the easiest way is to go to the "Technical Specifications" page on apple.com for whatever model you're talking about and look at the "Software" section.

9. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Format new Macs!!!

I cannot agree more. This is the best move when buying a new mac. Re-install the OS, cos you'd be surprised at how much space those bloody printer drivers take.

You have to keep on the ball when you re-install, cos there's little button that lets you customize the installation as you'd want it.

The amount of space taken up by languages is ridiculous, however, I can understand why Apple put it in a default machine - who knows where it'll end up being opened & first used!

F

10. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

and if you run final cut, you can kiss at least 10 gigs goodbye

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

true true!
    the printer drivers aren't too bad, but dump them anyway.

the languages are crazy, there's like 15 different languages that os x can run in and if you never plan on using anything but English or what ever it is you use, get rid of them, that's like 2-3 gigs right there. There's also another section of stuff related to languages and dictionaries I think that isn't for running the system, but being able to translate or type text it, honestly I can't remember, but a lot of it is not necessary.

on a mini or a laptop, anything with less than 250 GB of drive space, that can be a big deal.

12. captoats85 macrumors member

I have 34.7 / 37.10 free on my "40 GB" HD on my Mini. Just OSX - removed printer drivers, excess languages, iLife 05, iWork trial.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Foreign language resources, just use Monolingual or Delocalizer (www.versiontracker.com) to remove. Way faster than a reinstall. You can also drag the printer resources for non-owned printers to the trash in a wink.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you are going to use Monolingual, just be sure to uncheck the options in the Architectures pane, or you will break Rosetta on your machine.

15. shov macrumors member

OK, so what's the easiest way to remove all this bumf without a reinstall? or is it just easier to reinstall? - bearing in mind i've just got os x et up how i want it...

16. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

about 6 gigs. I have an 80gig hard drive and with OS X, I have like 74. something.

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, we've given you names of some tools for removing languages. What specific apps do you want to remove?

Your 80 GB drive shows up as a "74 GB" drive without anything on it, due to the GB/GiB conversion. If you have an 80 GB drive with OS X on it, its free capacity has to be significantly less than "74 GB".