So, I bought a 15.2"...if anyone cares...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Fall, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Fall macrumors member

Apparently 41% of machines being sold in Australia are 15.2" PB's...good figure that. So with that in mind, I doubt anyone cares that I bought one too.

I'm just damn excited - my first mac.

He upgraded the hard drive for $15? I don't know why. He says "I can take 125 off the 132 if you want..."

Yes, yes I do.

So anyway. It's the 1Ghz Combo with the uber-hip backlit keyboard.

*excited*

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Would you mind posting how hot it runs? Most posts say its ok, but a few have said it is not too far off from the heat generated by the 12" pb.

Congrats!!! I think any Mac with OS X is a good purchase..

3. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Battery life stats too, please! Buying tomorrow!

4. Fall thread starter macrumors member

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I got one last Thursday. I got the 1.25GHz with SuperDrive. It gets very hot, but only on the back of the bottom. It oddly gets hottest while sitting on my desk. Battery life isn't much, I vary from 1:35 so about 2:10 depending on settings and use.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Did you calibrate the battery? Also, are you using full processor speed and all that or the reduced power settings to only get 1 1/2 hours?

7. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Congrats! I just bought a 17 inch yesterday. I'm really impressed with how quiet and cool they run.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The 1 1/2 hours is with AE going, and usually doing something like stuffing or unstuffing a DVD. And I have yet to get the hang of changing the energy saver settings quickly, as this is my first laptop.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And no I didn't calibrate the battery, like I said, I'm very new to laptops. Also, I'd like to know if you have any problems with the latch not catching right or a static-like sound coming from either internal or external speakers. I have a case number with Apple support about those two issues, but I still have to call back and find out whether they dtermined it to be a defect or a known problem.

10. beefcake macrumors 6502

If you weren't aware of this, Counterfit, you can change power settings for Power Adapter and Battery separately. Although things like brightness are universal for both power sources, sleep time and processor speed will change automatically when you plug or unplug the laptop.

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes, I know. But for various reasons I change them to suit what I'm doing at the moment.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if the AlBook will suffer from the same keyboard imprints left on the display as the TiBook did?

14. Hugin777 macrumors regular

Hugin777

As far as I know this is the reason Apple has put som air between the keyboard and the screen (and thus added 0.1" to the new PowerBooks).

15. nickfit macrumors member

The gap between the screen and keyboard is certainly welcome. I have a Pismo (soon to be replaced by a new 15incher) and the screen got marks before I got protection. I certainly don't want marks on my new machine. But, I would think that Apple would have put rubber pads on the top/front edge of the screen. I've heard that it latches fine, but that the lid wiggles from the remaining gap.

I recall somebody making pads for the tibooks, I suspect that these pads would work for the albook. But again, for the kind of money I am spending, you would think that Apple would throw those in. Nevertheless, can't wait for it to show up, gap or no gap.

16. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

15" IS HOT?

Counterfi~

Thanks for the heat info.

Could you elaborate more on that please?

EG: is it hotter than the Ti's

Does the fan come on often?

More information, puhlease.

17. Fall thread starter macrumors member

They guy at the apple store said, that if you ever used a pentium 4 laptop, then the 15.2" is not hot at all.

18. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Or a P133 Thinkpad from years ago....damm me they got hot (yes i actually burned my legs once, fine only small blisters...but thats what i get for using the lappy with shorts :))

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It is definitely not as hot as a Ti, and being aluminum, it cools off faster. If the fans (yes, there are two apparently, go see those disassembly pics), ever come one, I never notice them. they are silent. The loudest part of the PB is the speakers.

Also it will be the coolest PB in my dorm room, for two reasons: It's better than my roommates, and he just overclocked his from 400/100 to 533/133. And it ran hot before :eek:

that being said, it gets sent out on Saturday to get the latch fixed. :(

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Fortunately I don't see any defects with mine (thank God) although I am having a tough time getting used to OS X after all my time with OS 9. Plus, when I installed Office, Microsoft ended up screwing up my preferences so my mail, .Mac, and Safari settings got lost and everything defaulted to IE and all. I think I got it fixed, but I am still trying to get used to switching between apps and using iChat and all. I hope yours gets fixed soon because this is seriously one awesome laptop.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

The box was supposed to get to my parent's house today. I'm keeping it until saturday so I can install a 120GB drive in my beige (which I really wanna overclock) and make a super-backup of almost all of my HD.

22. jamilecrire macrumors regular

I call BS. The Titanium books are cold compared to the Aluminum. The Ti DOESN'T transfer heat as well through the metal so it stayed hotter inside the computer but cooler to the touch on the outside. The 12" Powerbook is about twice as hot as the 12" iBook (I bought the iBook 900MHz for my wife and I'm using it now and have been for the last 2 hours on my lap with no heat issue at all), and the 17" was relatively cool, the Ti is cool to the touch (more so than the iBook). Heat is my ONLY issue with laptops today. In fact I'm looking for a Ti867 (my only irritation is the chipping paint) because speed means next to nothing. 99% of my work is typing (software development) so if it takes an extra 5 minutes to compile, great. I can take a break.

The ONLY problem with the Ti is the paint.

23. panphage macrumors 6502

Err...the 15" alubook w/1.0Ghz actually uses LESS power than the 867, at least the chip does. I don't notice a diff between a 12" pb 867 and the wife's 14"ibook 800. The HDDs just get hot, that's all there is to it. Sorry, I think you're crazy.

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Dude, seriously, my new 15" is not hot at all. The palm rests are even cool to the touch and the fans have not turned on once after using it since 5 this afternoon. You'd think after 5 hours if it'd get super hot it would, but so far, it's still cool. I am loving this thing, it really is a great machine and I am just wowed by how well it was built.

25. tomgreever macrumors member

Mine won't latch

I got my 15" Aluminum PB today and it won't latch properly. Only latches for a second or two before it pops back open. I called Apple and they're arranging for me to take it in to a retail store and have it repaired.