So I bought a Nintendo DS...

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuyu, Mar 16, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

After a month of debating it, I broke down and bought a DS last night. I also purchased Mario 64. For those of you thinking about buying one, here's some info.

1) The gfx are FAR better than N64. Screenshots really don't do this thing justice. It looks extremely good.

2) The touch screen is pretty useful, especially in a FPS. The digital controls act like WASD, and the touch screen is like a mouse, with shoulder buttons firing. Sorry Sony, but the DS will own FPS. (Can't wait for James Bond online!)

3) The mini games make excellent use of two screens. The puzzle games are especially cool. Touch screen means games can be very different from anything else out there.

4) When you close the unit, it sleeps instantly. When you open it, you're right where you left off. This should be a marketing point for nintendo. If you have 3 minutes to kill, the DS will give you 3 minutes of gaming. The PSP will give you 10 seconds of booting, 30 seconds of loading, 10 seconds of intro CG, and 5 seconds of save time (leaving 2 minutes of gaming).

5) There are ZERO loading times.

All in all, I give the system a 9/10. I have one dead pixel on the lower screen, but it's barely noticable. Sound is solid, gfx are better than expected, and FPS controls that don't suck are a HUGE plus. With confirmed (and free) online gaming via wifi on the way, this is a system you'd rather not miss.

****Since this will inevitably turn into a PSP vs. DS thread, let me say that the PSP looks very, very cool. But, they are different products. Comparing the two is futile. PSP wins in gfx, launch titles, sleekness factor. DS wins in portable gaming, battery life, and innovation.

If like me, you can't decide between the two, buy a DS now, and wait for the PSP to drop in price. For $300 you can get a PSP and one game, or a DS with Mario 64, Warioware touched, Rayman DS, and Feel the Magic.

2. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

We do have some pretty slim pickings as far as software goes. I am excited about future DS titles. Animal Crossing, Castlevania, Mario Kart and Metriod. Mario 64 is holding my interest really well at this point.

The clam shell design is key. Given that its portable, you want to slip it in and out of your pocket without having to worry about the screen getting scratched. I don't want a sock to cover it, or some 3rd party add-on. The SP and the DS have done this right.

Here is my wish list of DS titles.
    - A Resident Evil game!! The touch screen would be your menu/map screen. NO MORE ENTERING MENU SCREENS!! Switch weapons and mix herbs on the fly!
    - RTS game. Star Craft was brought to the N64,... why not the DS?!
    - A new Ridge Racer game. The DS launch title blew. They can do better.
    - A Zelda game. No ports! An original game.
    - Some Metal Gear would be nice. I wouldn't mind a port with some additions. I still play through MGS on the PS1 about 4 times a year. I'm a sick man,.... I need help. :(

3. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i was up in the air about which one to get, the DS or the PSP. after reading up about them both i decided to get the DS. i've had it for just under a week and i love it thus far. i only have Mario 64 but i'm ultra excited about some of the upcoming titles like bomerman.

i excited to see how the PSP turns out but at $100 more than the DS i went for the DS for now.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I bought One too (from this site in fact.) I love Mario 64 DS, I find my self wasting time playing it. WarioWare Touched on the other hand seems a bit to simple, but it is helping me get used to the touchscreen. The Metroid Demo Rocks, I want the full game. I'd like to see a re-release of the SMB series (ala Mario DX and Mario Advance) but using both screens and M64/DS style graphics. I'd also like The Legend of Zelda (Old NES) with updated graphics, but with the same basic game, using the bottom screen for travel/navagation.

TEG

5. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

I just bought a DS and am very busy with Super Mario 64 DS. The mini-games alone have me addicted. The PSP can wait.

I traded in my gba and got a DS for $99 at gamestop. Total price for me was 123.99, including mario game bought at best buy for 24.99

Reasons why I got the DS:
    The defect rate on the DS is almost none
    Price with game (Super Mario 64 DS) is $180
    Built in wifi--->Online service (mario kart 64!)
    No loading, spinning discs
    Great surround sound speakers
    Excellent battery
    Plays my gba games
    Lid closes to protect screen--no need for case
    Sony wants $400 or more for a PSP bundle right now. :eek:

6. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

First of all, whether the graphics of the ds are better than the N64 is debateable. I saw a fair amount of blockiness while playing Mario 64 DS when I owned it. I even went as far as playing mario 64 and DS at the same time, and I think Mario 64 looked better. Second, the touch screen being used for FPS games and to control the camera depends on the person, I thought it was horrid. My PSP doesn't load to put it to sleep, it can sleep at any point and instantly just like the DS. Third, the PSP load times are not that bad and most of the in game load times are 1-2 seconds. Also note: The psp is $249 for the value pack which includes a bunch of stuff, and the DS does NOT support 802.11B! No wireless hotspot capabilities, and the range of wireless on the DS is like 45 feet.

I hate Sony with a passion, and even I like my PSP. The DS has dissapointed me, I don't want quirky mini-games, I want depth. Overall, I'm glad I sold it to get the PSP. I'm nearly positive though, that a DS game will come out eventually that will make me want a DS again, however.

I like both, but prefer the PSP. Different strokes for different folks.

7. applekid macrumors 68020

They really should. I remember the MGS on the GBC. Probably the greatest GBC game ever. I was disappointed that Konami really hasn't brought too many MGS games to the Nintendo platforms. We've got a few ports/remakes and the GBC was really the only original on the Nintendo since the PSOne version.

8. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I have the import version of Metal Gear Ac!d, and it's a lot of fun even though I don't know any Japanese. The graphics are nearly the same as the PS2 Metal Gear Solids.

9. shortyjj macrumors regular

Not currently, but soon

http://ds.ign.com/articles/594/594933p1.html

10. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

11. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Recently, on a company trip, my coworker got a DS with Mario and Feel the Magic. I borrowed it for a little while on the flight back, and couldn't put down Feel the Magic. I loved the puzzles in that game. The one where you have to blow on the DS to move a sailboat is too original!!

I'll probably be getting one myself, but I'm waiting for additional games to be available.

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

A Resident Evil game would be great. I'm excited about Animal Crossing DS though. Knowing that this is coming out, I'm thinking about picking up a DS. That would mean I'd have to sacrafice all the spare time in my life again though. Skipping meals, ignoring people. But I'll do it if I get to play Animal Crossing DS. I still play Animal crossing for the GameCube once or twice a day. Yes it's geting a little repadative, and I spend more time play Call of Duty: United Offensive MP and Halo 2 Xbox Live, but that's because I spend a massive amount of time playing Animal Crossing a while back. but even so, I still play Animal Crossing on the cube.

Apprently Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow or Chaos theory, one of them, is also coming out for the DS. Plus some other great titles. There is no way I'm geting a PSP at this point knowing that there are these titles coming out for the DS. If I end up geting a new portable, then the DS will probaly be it.

Last thing, how exactly will a DS go online? Just like Xbox Live except it's free and portable?

13. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Where are you getting your information? The DS uses IEEE 802.11b for all its wireless communications. What you mean to say is that the DS is not compatible with IEEE 802.11a. It is backwards compatible with IEEE 802.11g. It also has a range of 30-100 feet, and in line of sight connections, up to 200 feet, (but that is unrealistic, since trees, walls always get in the way)

Use this for future reference
    NINTENDO DS Faq

When on the go, many people prefer minigames, like on cell phones. Its just a preference. Usually a game with minigames has already a full game included, for those who want depth, like Super Mario 64 DS.

14. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Congrats! I still think I'll wait for the PSP. It's so much more advanced and has more capabilities than the DS.

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Already announced: Age of Empires DS.

Well theres always Need for Speed Underground 2 DS.

Already announced. It'll be based on Four Swords for GameCube. Brand new.

If there could be one port I would immediately shell out $30 for, it would be Starfox 64. LOVE that game.

I also want to see a Super Smash Bros game.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

More advanced in terms of graphics, yes.

More capabilities? What? How?
    It doesn't have sleep mode, a better battery life, or a touch screen.
    They both have wireless and internet capability.

I don't see any CAPABILITIES the PSP has the DS doesn't.

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Texture quality is lower than the N64, but the rendering capability is greater so all the characters are more detailed. Thats why the walls look blocky.

Were you using the Standard setup on the DS for Metroid?

Sony has said they're only going to sell the value pack in the US.
    The Value Pack includes a 32 MB memory card. This is a requirement to play, not a luxury. If you pick up the $200 one in Japan you still have to spend $30-$50 on a memory card.
    Yes, it does. It has 802.11b hardware. The current GAMES do not support TCP/IP so you can't go online, but future games will- it's official, Animal Crossing DS WILL be online.

Shouldn't have sold it, because there are only a couple good games at the moment- the really great games are still to come out.

I may eventually get both when the PSP goes down, but I perfer the DS.

Whats wrong with mini games when $30 gets you 180 in Wario Ware? ONE EIGHTY! lol. That is opinion though, so I don't expect to convince you ;)

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The defect rate nationwide is almost none. I don't know how the heck it happened, but the city where I live must have gotten a bad shipment.

Out of 7 DSes, 6 had dead pixels. It was the weirdest thing.

Fortunately, Nintendo's policy is, 1 dead pixel = replacement. I got three replacements before my fourth had none. Weirdest thing ever, since there are almost no dead pixel reports elsewhere.

The rest of your post is fine though.
    Isn't the bundle $250?

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yep, they'll just add TCP/IP support and a server browser on the cartridge.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I stand corrected.

22. Cfly macrumors regular

Well the psp allows you to watch movies through memory stick or on umd, and the support for umd movies is quickly growing.

It also allows you to listen to mp3s

And just wait till grand theft auto and gran turismo 4 come out. You will see what the advantage of a powerful system like the psp is.

Online play is going to be much better on the psp as well because nintendo doesnt really concentrate on online. They say that it will now support online, but so does the gamecube and look how it uses it.

also nintendo is going to copy some of the psps movie abilities by selling new add ons, which will cost extra money.

23. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I don't see this as a bad thing. I, personally, would never use the movie capability of a portable game system. So why would I want to pay for a feature that I do not want?

Hickman

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, so you have the option of:
    1) Buying a really, really big memory stick- 1 GB costs $200 for the PSP. Might as well buy a portable DVD player or laptop.
    2) Buy a UMD movie, that costs as much as a DVD, has a lower quality and less-than-TV resolution, and none of the special features, and cannot be played on a big screen.

No thanks.
    Again, hardly unless you buy a bigger and much more expensive memory card.

Buy the PSP for games, not its cruddy media 'capabilities'.

BZZT! Person without a grasp of logic alert!
    Nintendo went up there and said, "We were stupid with the GameCube. We're not making that mistake again. We are going to have an online service for the DS, and transfer that to the Revolution. All free."

Then you walk over and say, "They screwed up on the GameCube so they'll screw up again". What kind of reasoning is that? They're trying to FIX their mistakes, not REPEAT them!

Nintendo is selling a CF card adapter and an SD card adapter. Check Lik-sang, the CF card adapter costs $25.
    A 1 GB CF card costs $75.

So, a 1 GB CF card + the Nintendo adapter = $100.

How much does a 1 GB card for the PSP cost? $180.

Gee, Nintendo's solution is SOOO much more expensive, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I would rather not watch movies on EITHER of their screens. They're both lower than TV resolutions.

25. Cfly macrumors regular

Hey i didnt say that everything the psp did was perfect.

its just nice to have extra features. lets say a really good movie comes out, so u pay 20 dollars and u can watch it anywhere, not bad if you ask me. You could pick up a 256 or 512 mb sandisk card for pretty cheap, which would allow you to put a couple episodes of a tv show or a movie on, or a whole bunch of mp3s. also watching movies on the 10million color widescreen would be pretty good. From what i have read video looks really good on the psp./

Psp seems like it is gonna have lots of great games, and all these extra features are just icing on the cake.