So I bought the basestation - do I need a DSL modem as well?!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Zim Bargo, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Zim Bargo macrumors member

Broadband was connected today, received my Airport Extreme basestation (with modem) last week, but no joy.

I checked with John Lewis (where I bought the basestation) if the modem would work, checked with the guy at Nildram when I was signing up - both gave me the all clear!

Now I can't get connected and it is starting to look like I actually have to get a separate DSL modem - surely this can't be the case. Is there a work around or am I just doing something wrong??

Zim :mad: :confused:

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

If I'm not mistaken , the modem on the airport extereme basestation is for dialup internet only, not DSL. Basically, you need to consider the basestation another computer. Whatever you would need to get a separate computer online you need to get your basestation online. Unless anyone knows different, I'd say you need the dsl modem. But wasn't that included with the broadband connection int he first place?

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Modem Needed

I have an AEBS and cable modem. Though it's not DSL, I believe your general setup is the same: you need to connect your AEBS to the DSL modem.

4. neoserver macrumors 6502

For DSL or cable, you need a modem that will connect to the base station over ethernet. A USB modem won't work. The modem in the base station is indeed for dial-up only

5. Zim Bargo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys - so I need a dsl or cable modem. Does it have to be a certain spec to get the most out of the broadband or are they all pretty standard? I've gone for a 1mb pipe over the 512 standard, so I want to make sure I don't constrict by getting the wrong stuff!

6. Crikey macrumors 6502

I'm surprised your broadband ISP didn't bundle a modem with your service or at least provide some guidance about which modem to buy. I've had DSL and cable Internet service here in the U.S., and the ISP usually gives you an option to buy a modem from them or lease one.

There are supposedly standards in the DSL world, and so perhaps more than one model of modem would work, but I'd call the tech support number for your broadband provider and ask their techs which modem to get. They probably have a list of approved models they can share with you.

Crikey

7. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

It's funny, I really don't see much point in the Airport Basestation without including ADSL in the same box. What do you really get in an Airport Basestation that you wouldn't get from, say, something like this, which is what my parents have.

Obviously there are some cool music-related advantages to the Airport Express, but what about the ordinary Airport Extreme Basestation?

I have a first-gen Basestation that I bought at a discounted price at John Lewis about a year ago, and I've never used. A week ago I came home after a night out and just decided to dismantle it to take the Airport card out of the middle of it and stick that into my MDD Powermac. It will at least be of some use to me that way.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The major thing you get is the integrated USB printserver, which most (affordable at least) non-Apple wireless routers don't have. But yeah, aside from that, erm, a lot of them don't have WPA (but some do), so I guess you basically just get the good looks. :cool:

But think about it -- not all services and all ADSL modems are compatible. And of course, ADSL and cable modems are completely incompatible with each other. That's why most routers don't include the modem.

9. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Yeah, fair enough, a minor advantage, but you can pretty much achieve the same thing using USB printer sharing, can't you?

Yes, the cable route is obviously different, but those products are generally USB-based (in the UK at least) rather than involving an RJ45 or RJ11 cable. I still think Apple should include an ADSL modem, to be honest. Maybe it's more of an issue abroad, but in the UK the ADSL services are much of a muchness.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

However true that is in the US and Canada, most other places your are on your own when in comes to DSL and Cable Modems. I have had DSL from Verizon and Whidbey Telecom and they both provide DSL modems (infact you are required to use them to avoid PPPoE) and I have had Comcast Broadband, and they give you the option (hence Cable modems for sale in Best Buy) but it is smarter, at least in the US to use one provided.

Back on topic...

The reason the ABX does not have a DSL Modem is that many people still rely on dialup. That is also the reason most computers still come with Modems. I do agree that those you talked too were quite daft, but if you read the specs of the ABX, it says in no uncertain terms that... Modem capable of Dial-up speeds of 53Kbps, and For Broadband Access external connection required.

TEG

11. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

no, not if you are like me with a powerbook on airport... with only one computer on a wireless network the USB port in the AE basestation is a huge plus.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this was the major reason *cough* much cuter *cough* that I bought an AEBS and not a NetGear or Linksys for my apartment.... Because you can get print servers for the other systems too, but by the time you do, the cost is basically the same. I guess if I hadn't gotten a free inkjet, I would've gone with option 3 and sunk the money into a printer with an ethernet port, and gotten a cheaper router, but....