So I decided to reformat my pc.....

Discussion in 'Community' started by Roger1, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Early last week, I did an upgrade to a few drivers, and the network connection started acting up. I rolled back to the original driver, and it still acted up. So today I decided to redo my machine today. Well, everything went without a hitch except 2 things. Netscape radio doesn't work anymore. And itunes, which didn't work correctly before, still doesn't work. <sigh> Itunes sounds like a scratchy record, making it VERY annoying to listen to, and I don't know what Netscapes issue is. <sarcasm> Ah, well. It's not like I have to study for EXAMS or anything</sarcasm>. :(

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

yeah, I know. But I only have about 250.00 into my homebuilt pc (including purchased software),whereas a mac would have cost considerably more. I does everything I need it to do, but play netscape music. I actually prefer it over itunes, because I found a station I really, really like.
    Anywho, I probably could have used my tibook from work, but then my wife would have wanted to share the office with me so she could play games on the pc, while I studied on the laptop. Since my wife is the type of person who likes to talk while playing online games (cuss at her opponent :D ) this does not work when I want to study. So when I need to study, she gets the laptop and goes into the other room, while I use the pc. Maybe next year I will be able to afford a used G4 tower. :)

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Check to make sure you have the correct and updated sound driver.

Do you have problems with all sound or just iTunes?

5. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Initially, it was just itunes. Everything else worked fine. Then I did the uppdate, and Netscape would quit connecting to the internet when I played the netscape radio. So I reformatted my HD now netscape radio doesn't work and itunes is still flaky. And I made sure to not update the drivers for sound and ethernet. I dunno. this is the type of stupid problem that shouldn't exist.

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Does you motherboard have built-in sound and built-in ethernet?
    If so, then it might be a motherboard problem.

Can you listen to music in Windows Media Player without problems??

7. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Yes, it has built in ethernet and sound. Windows media player works fine, and real works fine. I have a firewall on my pc, but I checked, and all the appropriate programs have full access to the internet (I had the firewall before and had no issues). I wonder if it could be a java issue with netscape?

8. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well I read an article and it said that Netscape Radio had switched from using Real to an ActiveX control to play the radio..

Here's the article:
    http://theinquirer.net/?article=15533

Maybe the version you have is already expired and the somehow you are being prevented from getting the updates.

9. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

I got that message, and downloaded the new version. All it get from it are error messages. There is also a version attached to the browser itself ( a button next to the home button). That version doesn't work either. Guess I'll contact Netscape support. Maybe they have an idea of what's going on.