So I dropped my mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jackmack, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

Yup. Working late last night, had it on a lap-tray thing in bed... passed out... woke up to it on the floor.

It has a bit of a ding in it on the left side about an inch from the screw...

Everything works fine, don't notice anything wrong... and from what I see in some mac-taken-apart pics, the hard drive is too far and too protected to be affected by this thing.

My question is, what's underneat the hard drive? Or if it had damaged something, would I know by now?

Does this **** my warranty?

Thanks.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

sooo which notebook do you have? This would really help in answering the question.

If you laptop was powered off and or in sleep mode with the hard drive shut down the hard drive would actually lock itself down. It should be ok in theory under those circumstances. however, if it was and the hard drive was spinning during impact data loss may have accorded.

do you have full valid and tested back up of your data? :D

I don't know the answer to the warranty question, but I am pretty sure there is a clause that says we won't fix it for free if you drop it. as to voiding it, it you sent it into apple to get fixed and you claimed it failed on it's own the big dent might give you away and they might charge you for the repair.

3. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

im sorry... 17"MBP

It would have probably been put to sleep by the time of the drop. Plus, I had nothing important open. I stopped working to surf the net, so i had closed and backedup my work.

I ask about the warranty only because I have heard of some people trying to use their warranty, but do to a small dent--even if it couldn't have caused the problem they were having--it was waved off as "physical damage". I was curious if this was true.

I honestly don't mind/care about the dent. I care very little for cosmetic damage... my main worry is if that area was sensitive to dents.

I mean... would I rather not have a dent? Definately... but since I can't fix it, it's not worth making myself feel bad over. Same logic behind a mystery scratch on the front.