So I finally understand the Zune!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stoid, Dec 13, 2006.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/device.htm

Seriously, this tag line explains everything perfectly. Everything I've read about the Zune runs contrary to the way a consumer or music lover would want to experience their music. But the goal of the Zune is clearly not to cater to the customer. Apparently, its goal is to cater to the music. The Zune embodies how your music wants you to listen to it. Or more accurately, how the RIAA wants you to listen to it. Which is not at all, but pay them double and triple for it.

Attached Files:

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

4. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I presume the zune. :cool:

5. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I'm with this guy.

What the hells a Zune?

Remember how hard Windows 1.0 sucked? But they came a long way with th- Oh wait.

iPod FTW.

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Love it or hate it, Zune ads seem to be everywhere -- though most of them are still not very clear about what the hell the Zune is. I caught a half-second glimpse of one at the end of a holiday-related eBay "IT" ad. The "IT" spins into a number of different items, one of them being a Zune. I could only tell this by slowing down the DVR'ed image.

None of these ads seem to be penetrating the general populace, though. The only people that seem to know what the Zune is are people who are in tune with the latest gadgets. Ironically, of the people I've talked to about it (which is quite a lot -- since I'm curious to hear other people's reaction to it), the largest section of people who know about the Zune are Mac users (who can't even use the Zune). Of the PC users, very few knew what the Zune was, and of those people most of them only knew it by name.

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

On a serious note, for me, Microshaft need to focus their energy on unlocking the power in the Xbox360 now Sony have rather ****ed up the Piss3. Other than putting resources into the Zune, and other 'lets go into the market late and write some cheques and we'll beat them all' ventures. (Yes, I know this is how the xbox worked, but that was good and that worked for them)

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hmmm...I made this very same point in a real-world discussion some weeks ago. Needless to say, I quite agree :D

one of the things I pointed out is that Microsoft will never crack the iPod market, because they don't understand that it's not about what the iPod does, it's about what the iPod is. I used motorcycles as an example. There's any number of Japanese bikes that perform just as well as a Harley, but which would you rather have?

XBox360 and especially XBox Live....it's where Microsoft should put their money. I've never understood Microsoft's obsession with wanting to be "all things to all people." They've got the potential to really revolutionize the gaming industry, with a proven infrastructure already in place. Why not run with that?

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Truth.

The iPod has made the MP3 player market a really tough cookie to crack now. It's a status symbol. People who have other kinds of MP3 players are looked down on. "Why didn't you get an iPod?"

I don't even have the tiniest inkling of how a company would have to go about beating the iPod. Maybe a ridiculous campaign of advertising everywhere, a nicely put together product, selling at a loss to undersell the iPod and product placement across the board? I think there's only one company with those kind of resources and it's microsoft, who just failed with the Zune.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I hate the Zune, but no one would complain if Apple used 'music the way it wants to be'.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Good call. I often hear Microsoft being accused of having succeeded as a result of "great marketing." In fact their marketing (of which this Zune ad is a perfect example), has always pretty much stunk to high heaven. Who in world could get excited by this pitch -- aside from the guy in the butterfly suit?

12. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Indeed but I'm still waiting for the iPhone! :rolleyes:

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree, that would make sense, though to me it's too much of a coincidence that MS have only released the Zune in the country where Apple has a 12% laptop share, I think they are scared that Apple will encroach on their OS monopoly, atm most people only use Windows for the 3rd party software/hardware support, if Apple's market share improves enough that advantage will disappear.

14. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Honestly, threads like these only draw more attention to the Zune. Why not just ignore it like we did all the other "iPod killers".

15. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Totally see your point, however the Harley was a badddddddd example. All those Jap. Bikes you said about perform wayyyyyyy, wayyyyyy better than a Harley. Also, to be honest id rather chew off this left arm *points* than ride a harley.

As I said tho, I do get your point, just being picky about the example. :p

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ok...how about comparing a Les Paul to, sheesh, pretty much any other guitar in its class. There are plenty of companies that make good instruments (I think Ibanez, for one, makes some really nice guitars), but none of them have the cachet of the Gibson.

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Absolutely, Jap bike, no question!

Edit: Beaten to it :(

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

From what I have heard the Zune is a decent product just the copy protection will be its downfall.